Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hikkaduwa - Sri Lanka

Hi, anyone been there?

Twelve of us going Easter time as a halfway house as meeting wife's brother and his family who live in Oz.

Hired a big villa, but not sure what to expect of the place. I know it has got a surfing scene which is fine, but just wondered if anyone else had any info/ experiences of the place.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    I stayed there about 20 years ago. Then, lovely beaches, quiet, but not much going on. Drove through 5 years back (was staying the other side of Galle then) and didn't seem to be too much development since. It is within easy reach of Galle (about 15 mins drive, though it could be cycled...), but expect at least three hours drive from the airport (which is north of Colombo). Galle is a lovely city, especially around the citadel and cricket ground, but don't expect too much night-time activity anywhere in the south of Sri Lanka. Beers are cheap though (outside hotels...). Buses are also much (MUCH!) cheaper than tuk-tuks (which have to be negotiated in advance), though you will be told not to get them (due to pick-pockets, not running today, etc). We did regularly, and though the drivers are a bit crazy, they are the quickest and most efficient way of travelling if you like a laugh!
  • You already know all the vaccine and malaria tablet requirements right? (You need a Yellow Fever vaccine cert if travelling via say Kenya). Don't forget the e-visa.

The best historical sites to visit are Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura; they are really unmissable. Kandy (Temple of The Tooth) is not that great really IMO. Beaches nothing special but okay. Visit Galle as you'll only be a few miles away.

You appear to have chosen to visit the South West of the Island at the start of the South West monsoon season so expect a lot of rain......
  • Oh, and if you fall off a Sunfish, don't stand on a sea urchin....it hurts.
  • I went here for a week in March last year for a wedding. They had hired some very posh villas, one of which was incredible.

The one thing I would say is the sea is treacherous, I'm a keen diver and have dived all over the world. I would not even attempt to give it a go. Apparently Sri Lanka has the highest tourist death rate from drowning per year than any where in the world.

I was sat on the beach and a couple walked passed and was swept in.

That aside and on a positive note, the food is incredible, the wildlife is amazing. I would recommend doing a safari.

One thing to consider is on a map A-B may look close but due to the roads it can take hours. Planning ahead is key.

Their national beer is "Lion Beer", its very nice!
  • Any self respecting Charlton fan will not be drinking Lion beer!!!!
  • Galle is a lovely town. A bit further along the south coast is Yala which has a big wildlife reserve, decent chance to see leopards, elephants etc. beer, curries and Arak (local rum type stuff) are excellent. The roads in that neck of the woods are pretty good, although further afield travel, even short distance is a bit of a slog.

Agree that the sea down there is very rough, I gave diving a miss.
  • iaitch said:

Any self respecting Charlton fan will not be drinking Lion beer!!!!

I could also tell you about a bar in Colombo called Nigel's Bar where you can buy Lion Beer, but I would be making it up.
  • Ooooh TMA you are a tease.
  • thanks all.
  • I just remember there wasn't a lot to do there apart from chilling out which is a highly recommended past time. Agree that the sea is somewhat treacherous. Wasnt it this area swept away by the Tsusami?