Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolf Hall

On BBC2 last night. I thought it was superb and an example of how good the Beeb can be when they make the effort. Anybobody else see it? Views?

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Yes, it was very good.

A "they're all in it" cast too
  • Options
    Really enjoyed it, Cromwell's ironic humour, even with the King, excellent
  • Options
    Not as good as I was expecting.

Didn't realise that the zip fastener was that old.
  • Options
    Loved the books. Don't get BBC in Spain :-(
  • Options
    Right up my street this sort of stuff... along with The Voice and Strictly of course!

;0)
  • Options
    Very good. Mark Rylance is excellent as Cromwell.
  • Options
    was very good, up their with the BBC productions of the 70`s, like Elizabeth and 6 wives of Henry viii.
  • Options

Loved the books. Don't get BBC in Spain :-(

Not even on iplayer?
  • Options
    Loved it. Have now downloaded the books too.
  • Options

Yes, it was very good.

A "they're all in it" cast too

Absolutely, but Rylance is different gravy. He says more with one raised eyebrow than most actors can with half a page of script.

Jonathan Price, Bernard Hill and Anton Lesser aren't bad either and Damien Lewis was born to play Henry VIII. Not to mention the Ladies; Clare Foy and my personal early, (though sadly not first) crush Joanne Whalley.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought from the thread title this was a potential new American signing. Oh well.
  • Options
    It was great. I wonder what happens in the end?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Loved it. Have now downloaded the books too.

The books are great, once you get used to HM's use of "he".
  • Options
    I thought it was where Wolves play.
  • Options
    Was quietly confident from the promos and press that it would not get the Tudors treatment. Think we are in for a treat, lighting is great, very atmospheric.
  • Options
    ......and it rhymes with "fuck all"!
  • Options
    Didn't think it was that great tbh. A bit slow, but it was the first episode.
    I just kept thinking Mark Rylance (Cromwell) looked like Paul Whitehouse and was waiting for a funny face or gag.
  • Options
    don't get the comments about it being a bit slow, unless you were thinking it would be a medieval Midsomer Murders.
  • Options
    CE was probably after explosions and car crashes...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

CE was probably after explosions and car crashes...

Fast and Furious 7 : Wolf Hall

• Options
    Like several other people I know, I found the book very hard going and gave up reading it. Perhaps after watching the series it might be an easier read.
  • Options

Didn't think it was that great tbh. A bit slow, but it was the first episode.
    I just kept thinking Mark Rylance (Cromwell) looked like Paul Whitehouse and was waiting for a funny face or gag.

don't get the comments about it being a bit slow, unless you were thinking it would be a medieval Midsomer Murders.

Well let's say the drama was nowhere near as good as on here :-)
  • Options
    So far a decent adaptation of very complicated novels .. don't expect a lot of 'action', the story is pure politics and power
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Rylance is superb, proper stage trained actor.

Lewis is totally miscast, a tele actor if ever there was one - no gravitas or threat.
    Watch Robert Shaw in A Man for All Seasons.

Great first episode.

• Options
    Redskin said:

Rylance is superb, proper stage trained actor.

Lewis is totally miscast, a tele actor if ever there was one - no gravitas or threat.
    Watch Robert Shaw in A Man for All Seasons.

Great first episode.

Good job it's a TV show then !

Not sure how you could come to the conclusion that Lewis is miscast yet, he featured in about 1% of the episode last night.
  • Options
    Come on. If they were to cast it on contemporary accounts of H's appearance they would of been looking for a middle aged fat bastard and I would of answered the call, along with half of CL...
  • Options
    No better actor anywhere than Mark Rylance.
  • Options

Come on. If they were to cast it on contemporary accounts of H's appearance they would of been looking for a middle aged fat bastard and I would of answered the call, along with half of CL...

But he only got fat later in life after a riding accident.

• Options
    Just my opinion but CJSampson's a Shardlake series are a great read if you are interested in fiction from that era set against a historically accurate backdrop. Proper page-turners. The first was Dissolution.