Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wolves v Charlton - Post match views

1235»

Comments

• Options

For the love of god people, Jon Stead is not the answer. He had one very good game. He's in League Two for a reason.

Play-offs of League One. But I do agree that he isn't the answer.

charente addick has it spot on.
    Yep, I meant League One, don't know why I said Two. I think we need a player with a wider skill set than Stead though.
  • Options

For the love of god people, Jon Stead is not the answer. He had one very good game. He's in League Two for a reason.

Play-offs of League One. But I do agree that he isn't the answer.

charente addick has it spot on.
    Yep, I meant League One, don't know why I said Two. I think we need a player with a wider skill set than Stead though.
    His name is Nadir Ciftci and he plays for Dundee United. C'mon Roland you know it makes sense.
  • Options
    I don't see what is so hard about holding up the ball when it needs to be done. All strikers should be capable of it. The idea that you need a big non prolific lump to do that baffles me. Anyway Stead's play will not help us without players making the runs into space.
  • Options

I don't see what is so hard about holding up the ball when it needs to be done. All strikers should be capable of it. The idea that you need a big non prolific lump to do that baffles me. Anyway Stead's play will not help us without players making the runs into space.

Probably because 99% of strikers are ball greedy glory hunters and would rather shoot with a 20% chance of scoring, rather than lay it off to a team mate with 60% chance...................
  • Options
    vff said:

May I give you an example? Home to Blackburn after three minutes: long throw in to our six-yard-box, attacker rushes in with a deft back-header and his mate hammers it in to the net. I love it: pure and true.

In the second-half, the man winds himself up for a long throw, ball poised over head, leaning back in to the crowd. The whole stadium fell silent. He ran to the touchline - and plopped it three feet to his mate.

We are utterly hopeless. Our midfielders can't trap the ball, pass, or move. Against Brighton we had four strikers for 45 minutes - and it took Solly, a defender, to burst in and shudder the bar.

What, in heaven's name, are they doing?

@Viewfinder, the posts under your name are always variable and occassionally very random. What is the above post all about ? You are talking about the Blackburn game under a different coach a couple of weeks ago. It is either you have a few people posting under your name, multiple personalities, varying results of many glasses of red wine and the other side. Agree with some of your posts but some of them are way over the top.
    Good. I'm sure you also watched our Cup game with Blackburn, Vff, and know that we are planets below a tough, rehearsed team with quick technique. It's always a joy to watch: that lovely ability, fast and forward, instinctive skills - from side to side and back to front.

We are in the same league, yet miles apart. For instance, Etheridge has the ball - possession - and Bikey retreats to receive. There's a misunderstanding right from the start: Wait: Wave. Stop. The ball is hoofed, by sheer lack of ability, to the stands.

Where's the momentum in this game? Where is that delicious fire we had in September, sprinting out of the traps and grabbing Derby and Wigan by the throat? Every single team in our division has a rigorous and skilful academy: it's a daft conceit to think that ours is any way special.

So, we are 0-0 at half-time at The Valley. We have failed, palpably, to ruffle the opposition. After a rocket from the manager, we lurch forward. All ragged, our crosses are over-hit - Tucudean connects with fresh air with a bicycle kick - and the next lands straight in the keeper's hands.

Good teams win with ability, Vff. That's why we are seventeenth.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2015

vff said:

May I give you an example? Home to Blackburn after three minutes: long throw in to our six-yard-box, attacker rushes in with a deft back-header and his mate hammers it in to the net. I love it: pure and true.

In the second-half, the man winds himself up for a long throw, ball poised over head, leaning back in to the crowd. The whole stadium fell silent. He ran to the touchline - and plopped it three feet to his mate.

We are utterly hopeless. Our midfielders can't trap the ball, pass, or move. Against Brighton we had four strikers for 45 minutes - and it took Solly, a defender, to burst in and shudder the bar.

@Viewfinder, the posts under your name are always variable and occassionally very random. What is the above post all about ? You are talking about the Blackburn game under a different coach a couple of weeks ago. It is either you have a few people posting under your name, multiple personalities, varying results of many glasses of red wine and the other side. Agree with some of your posts but some of them are way over the top.
    Good. I'm sure you also watched our Cup game with Blackburn, Vff, and know that we are planets below a tough, rehearsed team with quick technique. It's always a joy to watch: that lovely ability, fast and forward, instinctive skills - from side to side and back to front.

We are in the same league, yet miles apart. For instance, Etheridge has the ball - possession - and Bikey retreats to receive. There's a misunderstanding right from the start: Wait: Wave. Stop. The ball is hoofed, by sheer lack of ability, to the stands.

Where's the momentum in this game? Where is that delicious fire we had in September, sprinting out of the traps and grabbing Derby and Wigan by the throat? Every single team in our division has a rigorous and skilful academy: it's a daft conceit to think that ours is any way special.

So, we are 0-0 at half-time at The Valley. We have failed, palpably, to ruffle the opposition. After a rocket from the manager, we lurch forward. All ragged, our crosses are over-hit - Tucudean connects with fresh air with a bicycle kick - and the next lands straight in the keeper's hands.

Good teams win with ability, Vff. That's why we are seventeenth.

I did go the Blackburn game @Viewfinder. It was nice to see some attractive Championship football with great passing and movement. Unfortuanately that came from Blackburn, who showed what a Championship squad looked like. It was great to see the spray being used for the first time at the Valley which gave space for Gudmundsson's great free kick goal. That and Buyens getting himself sent off. Peeters taking off the only decent attacker and putting Bikey up front. Jackson arguing with Peeters. The power cut as well. Sitting in a different part of the ground gave a different angle. Charlton were lower league one abject that day. Blackburn could have had 6 or 7 goals easily.

I am not disagreeing with your comments about that game that Charlton were very poor that day (although they are somewhat random) but your comment were mainly suffering from a bit of time warp as @Six-a-bag-of-nuts mentions above.

Vs Wolves yesterday Charlton did play better. A lot of the problems remained but having a proper holding defensive midfielder seemed to help. An attacking midfielder and hold up attacker and Charlton will have a good chance of avoiding a relegation scrap. It is down to the quality on the pitch. The players put in a shift and the players appeared to know their jobs.

Any thoughts on the actual game yesterday Viewfinder ?
  • Options
    edited January 2015

As usual mate, I regret to say, that you've no idea what you are talking about.

Their 4th minute goal was a cross from their right, which ended up on their left.

Then a cross from their left was headed in at the far post.

There was no long throw in or back header and no one hammered it into the net.

Here it is for you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30669007
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Viewfinder = slightly mental bond villain.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited January 2015
    Uboat said:

I thought that was the role reserved for Roland Duchatelet ? ;-)
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Viewfinder = slightly mental bond "Home and Away" villain.

Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    vff said:

Uboat said:

I thought that was the role reserved for Roland Duchatelet ? ;-)
    No, he's the diabolical mastermind Bond villain. The Blofeld to Viewfinder's Scaramanga. #bondfan
  • Options
    Delighted we didn't lose (even though it cost me my accy), although lets not get carried away with a goalless point.

If I was being picky it did sound as though we were never going to score, but for his first game Luzon's done well to counter the negative body language and shore us up.

Now need a big striker to help keep the ball in their half for longer and someone with a bit of attacking flair either on the wing or centre mid to create for Igor/Watt. Sounds like we're trying to get someone in, just hoping it's not another loan (or another goalie!)
  • Options
    Back to basics. Still 9 points off relegation. Rotherham, Millwall, Wigan and Blackpool are far worse.

Certainly not going down.
  • Options
    Well having predicted a 3-0 loss in the pre-match predictions I think this is a good point for us. Now we need to push on and win a few games I believe we have the players to do that we just need a bit more application and dare I say a bit of luck. Saturday is now a massive game (which I may unfortunately have to miss) and a win is really critical.

Nonetheless well done to the lads for what was a battling away draw against a form team
  • Options
    Big_Bob said:

Back to basics. Still 9 points off relegation. Rotherham, Millwall, Wigan and Blackpool are far worse.

Certainly not going down.

That could be 6 points after tomorrows games.

• Options
    Surely we've moved on from this thread by now?!?!
  • Options
    So, what did people think about the Wolves performance?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rough