Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Demis Roussos RIP

Apart from wanting to start my first RIP Thread...

RIP and what a look

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-30984851

Comments

• Options
    I thought he'd last forever and ever........
  • Options
    Is there a conspiracy theory linking his death to the result of the Greek election?
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP.....Great singer.
  • Options
    Second posting on a Greek subject today.......
    I arrived 5 minutes, on the island of Corfu, and as soon as I got off the coach in 1972 this guys voice echoed out across the beach bars..... They literally played the records back to back. Just think of that holiday every time I hear that voice.......
  • Options
    I had to get on a 51 bus dressed as him, on the way to a fancy dress party, back in the day. One of the more dangerous journeys of my life.
  • Options
    Didn't he get caught up in a plane hostage situation at some point too?
  • Options
    rip
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Liked him better as the lead singer of Aphrodite's Child than as a solo performer (Vangelis was also a member of the band) . Rain and Tears was a great song.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just read the BBC item so most of that last posting was superfluous! But Aphrodite's Child was never a progressive rock band.
  • Options
    I have the Aphrodite's Child double album 666. I don't think I've ever arrived home and thought, 'Do you know what? I really fancy listening to that Greek prog rock album about the Book of Revelation in its entirety tonight.'
  • Options
    Immortalised in Abigail's Party. RIP.
  • Options

Just read the BBC item so most of that last posting was superfluous! But Aphrodite's Child was never a progressive rock band.

They were kind of going that way with the album 666.

• Options
    Wasn't one of his early songs called "The Roussos Phenomenon"?
    Always made me laugh that title. No false modesty
    RIP
  • Options
    The kop remembers.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

They were kind of going that way with the album 666.

They were essentially a pop group which Vangelis tried to convert into a prog rock outfit. Now Vangelis was genuinely a prog rocker but he couldn't take the others with him and the band split up after 666. Demis Roussos's subsequent career certainly couldn't be described as either "progressive" or "rock".
  • Options
    Excellent satire in The Times today picturing Roussos wearing a Greek T-Shirt emblazoned 'Greek Debt', while singing 'Forever, and ever......'