Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who is this Charlton player?

Hi.

I found this photo in a Polish football magazine, in an article about football injuries. He is wearing a Charlton badge but the article does not name him. I have trawled photos on google but I can't work out who is was. I reckon that the photo was taken during the late 1970's but that was a bit before my time.

Does anyone know who he is?
CAFC.jpg 823.6K

Comments

• Options
    Les Berry.
  • Options
    Les Berry
  • Options
    Wow. Superfast. Many thanks!

My girlfriend was astonished that there are other CAFC fans reading this!
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    fattmatt said:

Give me one in the 60s AFKA won't be as quick with that one. :wink:
  • Options
    I didn't know that one @RedChaser‌ Mrs AFKA had to tell me !
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

Well at least she knows you were not surfing anything naughty this time of night, glad to have been of help. :smiley:
  • Options
    I thought that shirt had FADS on it?
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

That one has blood on it
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    fattmatt said:

Hi.

I found this photo in a Polish football magazine, in an article about football injuries. He is wearing a Charlton badge but the article does not name him. I have trawled photos on google but I can't work out who is was. I reckon that the photo was taken during the late 1970's but that was a bit before my time.

14/02/1981 Ipswich Town FA Cup
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2015
    shirty5 said:

fattmatt said:

Hi.

14/02/1981 Ipswich Town FA Cup
    Show off :wink: That was the year we got promoted from Div 3 and beat Harlow Town away in Rd 1 before going out at Portman Road in Rd 5 and was there. Vivid memory of Terry Naylor riding on the back of Paul Mariner desperately trying to bring him down as he broke on our goal from the half way line.
  • Options
    Les Berry, jumpers for goalposts golden age player. legend in these parts.
  • Options
    Fantastic day out at Portman Road that day. we were both flying high in our respective divisions and I really fancied us to pull off a surprise. lost 2-0 of course!

Excellent turnout for the Addicks that day, followed by some lively discussions with Millwall fans who we're waiting for us back at Liverpool Street after the game.
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

Hi.

Good knowledge mate
  • Options
    Dave Berry's dad
  • Options

Les Berry. You don't the legend that is Les Berry ? :-)

He played for us forever, when I was a kid.

He was my original hoof ball merchant.

I loved Les Berry in a hoofball Charlton type of way.

My Dad still calls hoofing the ball out over the top of the stand "a Les Berry clearance". Admittedly it's been a while since that's happened due to the development of the ground - last time I remember was Konchesky sending a ball over the top of the East Stand.
  • Options
    fattmatt said:

It may well have been due to Being shown on TV. When shirt sponsorship first appeared, it wasn't worn when shown on the Beeb, due to their non advertising policy............
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Les Berry.

Or as he he was affectionately known to some, Les Beckenberry because of his silky ball carry skills

• Options
    Ipswich away, 5th round of the FA cup in '81.
  • Options
    Les Berry.
    Met him on a bus in Beckenham coming back from a midweek home game last season.
    Said he does not go The Valley much, he laughed when I said I was surprised he was not given a lifetime season ticket for his services.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We can't have had a classier centre back partnership than the days of Les Berry and Big Dave Shipperley.

And don't get me started about the quality of our back four when Berry moved to right back! The vehicles at Bexleyheath Bus station wouldn't have had a bigger combined turning circle that lot!

• Options
    Raspberry les.
    Remember him scoring an owl goal in front of the covered end against Swansea I think. The headline the next day read. Raspberry Les. A good old pro.
  • Options
    Les was a Berry good player.
  • Options
    Anyone have any idea where I could get a replica of this shirt from. What a beauty.
  • Options
    Met him when we used to bunk off school and watch them train at new eltham. Drove a brown mk4 cortina and was often puffing on a fag.
  • Options
    Could put a spin on the ball like Jimmy White.....
  • Options
    Dear old Les Berry.

Close on 400 games for us. Epitomised a true Charlton player for me. Not the most talented but gave everything and more for the cause. Master of the back pass and the row Z or Charlton Church Lane clearance too.

Decent cricketer for West Wickham (the late Brian Moore's club as well incidentally) and Hayes.
  • Options
    Once blocked two maidens from Les in a club game. He was an ok bowler.

He does a bit of voluntary work for The Samaritans now I believe.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Fantastic day out at Portman Road that day. we were both flying high in our respective divisions and I really fancied us to pull off a surprise. lost 2-0 of course!

Excellent turnout for the Addicks that day, followed by some lively discussions with Millwall fans who we're waiting for us back at Liverpool Street after the game.

The penned in hordes from the Surrey Docks vomiting expletives. Daily Express
  • Options
    Worked with his daughter Emma at a travel agents and saw George Best play at his testimonial against Arsenal.

Those were happy carefree days!