Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Murphy Tax Bill

Comments

• Options

Ha bloody ha, naff radio pundit, naff TV pundit.

I Disagree. He may have been a tosser when at Charlton but as a pundit I would have him over Savage, Mills or Lawrenson any day.
    Yes, he's surprisingly good as a pundit.

It'll be interesting who else is caught up in this, I have a bit of sympathy with the players, as the advisors no doubt told them that the scheme was perfectly legal and would cause no issues down the line. These advisors got very well paid to give the players expert advice, on whether these schemes would save tax or just defer it to a later date.
  • Options
    I do love a bit of schadenfreude late in the evening.....
  • Options

Is that a dish best served cold?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Is that a dish best served cold?
    Oh, nicely done!
  • Options
    if any of you lot were millionaires you'd do same and try and avoid tax where possible and dont lie and say you wouldnt so get off your high horses
  • Options
    nowhere in his league but I've been clobbered with a half decent sized tax bill despite being PAYE for 20+ years.....GRRR
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At least he can fall back on bin dipping.
  • Options
    Personally I'd like to see the BBC say, sorry but we don't want our image to be tarnished by association with tax avoiders, adios amigo.

Sadly, I can't ever see it happening though.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Personally I'd like to see the BBC say, sorry but we don't want our image to be tarnished by association with tax avoiders, adios amigo.

Sadly, I can't ever see it happening though.

Large numbers of BBC employees are freelance, working through their own company, as it's er more tax efficient :-)
  • Options
    Knighthood is a no no....
  • Options
    The scheme just about sums up the notion that the more you earn the less you want to give. Should have just paid the tax on the enormous sums they were earning. I have no sympathy for those that will now be in dire straits financially.
  • Options
    @oohaahmortimer‌

"Or if you set up as a limited company and rather than pay yourself PAYE you could draw money out at a lower tax rate in the form of a dividend you'd take the more expensive route of PAYE for yourself ....madness"

The choice isn't that simple. One compelling reason in your example to be paid as an employee is that you could then set up a company pension for yourself. Your company pay in 100% of your salary equivalent. it's a tax deductible expense to the company, so you save on possible corporation tax.and get the pension allowance on your personal tax. The government approves of this because it wants people to make personal provision for their pensions as the State will not be able to do it alone as people expect in future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

@oohaahmortimer‌

"Or if you set up as a limited company and rather than pay yourself PAYE you could draw money out at a lower tax rate in the form of a dividend you'd take the more expensive route of PAYE for yourself ....madness"

The choice isn't that simple. One compelling reason in your example to be paid as an employee is that you could then set up a company pension for yourself. Your company pay in 100% of your salary equivalent. it's a tax deductible expense to the company, so you save on possible corporation tax.and get the pension allowance on your personal tax. The government approves of this because it wants people to make personal provision for their pensions as the State will not be able to do it alone as people expect in future.

I'm freelance and do both of these things. I minimise my tax - but am happy to pay what I legally have to. I don't evade tax but do avoid paying what I don't have to. By being freelance I take certain risks over being a 'regular PAYE employee' - like having periods without work. That's part of the trade off. Incidentally the government removed the ceiling of only putting 100% of salary into your pension. You can now put in more - but it must be 'reasonable' - i.e. they take a dim view of reducing your corporation tax to zero....
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I would have thought he could claim against his advisers.

no Len

well at least not for anything more possibly than what he paid them in fees and ,maybe ,interest on tax that he would have paid but for their advice .The fact that their advice might have been wrong that there was a scheme that he could employ to possibly avoid tax doesn't affect his primary obligation to pay tax. He cannot look to them for an indemnity for the liability to HMRC that he always had in the first place.Well that is what I would advize them in defence to a claim for negligence or breach of contract .

If there was however an alternative arrangement that would have worked and that they ought to have advised him on but falied to do so then he might get somewhere .Well that is what I would advise him in respect of the pursuit of a professional negligence or breach of contract claim .

To tell you the truth I wouldn't care whom I advised as long as I got paid .

• Options
    ashley said:

LenGlover said:

I would have thought he could claim against his advisers.

no Len

well at least not for anything more possibly than what he paid them in fees and ,maybe ,interest on tax that he would have paid but for their advice .The fact that their advice might have been wrong that there was a scheme that he could employ to possibly avoid tax doesn't affect his primary obligation to pay tax. He cannot look to them for an indemnity for the liability to HMRC that he always had in the first place.Well that is what I would advize them in defence to a claim for negligence or breach of contract .

If there was however an alternative arrangement that would have worked and that they ought to have advised him on but falied to do so then he might get somewhere .Well that is what I would advise him in respect of the pursuit of a professional negligence or breach of contract claim .

To tell you the truth I wouldn't care whom I advised as long as I got paid .

One needs to know exactly what he was advised of course in this specific case but there is certainly a general precedent for accountants and other professionals being successfully sued for damages (eg unscheduled tax liabilities having acted on their advice) for incorrect or negligent advice.

That is why such firms have professional indemnity insurance.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Please dont hate me.

I save nearly 100 quid a month on my tax bill by buying Childcare Vouchers which come out of my salary before tax.

I am scum.

Between me and the Mrs it's nearly £500 a month. I'm so ashamed!!!

• Options
    Next time I receive one of those nauseating recorded messages telling me I can now write off some of my debts, I'll give them Danny's number.

Bless him !
  • Options

and after a huge and successful life earning squillions and paying squillions in tax you'll be more than happy once you've passed away paying another 40% tax on all that you have earnt before it gets passed on your next of kin

Well I'll be dead, so I won't care. And it's not 40% on all that I've earned, it's 40% of the amount above whatever the threshhold is these days, which is pretty damn high. Inheritance is just unearned income, so we could just tax it in the same way, but that'd make probate an even longer and more unwieldy process. Would you rather that instead?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    aliwibble said:

and after a huge and successful life earning squillions and paying squillions in tax you'll be more than happy once you've passed away paying another 40% tax on all that you have earnt before it gets passed on your next of kin

Well I'll be dead, so I won't care. And it's not 40% on all that I've earned, it's 40% of the amount above whatever the threshhold is these days, which is pretty damn high. Inheritance is just unearned income, so we could just tax it in the same way, but that'd make probate an even longer and more unwieldy process. Would you rather that instead?
    Yep I worded that wrongly ....
    Surely you'd care about your loved ones left behind, who you'd be trying to give a leg up to
    I think it should be tax free to the people it's passed down to as a gift
    The inheritance threshold is 40% on anything above £325k
  • Options
    Got a season ticket loan, childcare vouchers, and a work pension all before tax. I tend to see this as different to giving cash in hand to tradesmen (which I don't do) or seek out other tax avoidance schemes. They are all on the same spectrum I admit. I think I'll draw the line at government approved schemes. They know what's right and wrong ;)
  • Options

aliwibble said:

Yep I worded that wrongly ....
    Surely you'd care about your loved ones left behind, who you'd be trying to give a leg up to
    I think it should be tax free to the people it's passed down to as a gift
    The inheritance threshold is 40% on anything above £325k
    I think there is a strong case to abolish inheritance tax. It is avoided by those with huge estates because they also have the resources to set up complex avoidance schemes. So as usual the burden falls on the little guy. The rise in property prices means many people of very modest other means get caught in the net. Or maybe better to raise the ceiling high,perhaps £2m but remove all exemptions and get tough.

Actually we need to simplify our tax regime right across the board. Then we could slim down HMRC itself, employ fewer, smarter better, paid people, with much greater powers, but less discretion to let people (and especially companies) off.