Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Studying abroad (Rome)

edited January 2015 in Not Sports Related
Looking at the European city thread there have been a few mentions of Rome, I will be studying architecture there for a term starting Sunday. So I was wondering has anybody here done a term abroad before and what would they recommend to do, to get the most out of the experience? For those that have been to Rome what is it like and again any recommendations on what to do. I will be there for about 6 months so I have plenty of time to try a few things whilst there. Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Well when in Rome mate
  • Options
    So much to do, spend the first few days just walking the streets and taking in the sights, have a coffee in the piazzas, make sure you spend some time at the Coliseum and Vatican City.

You will have no problem finding things to do. I have worked there a couple of times and also holidayed there ...a fabulous city.
  • Options
    I would echo what @stonemuse says. It's not a huge city so try to walk everywhere - walk up every small turning and not just the main streets - you'll be amazed at what you will find; secret piazzas and cafes, beautiful buildings, tiny little churches and so on. The Romans are very friendly people so don't worry if you get lost - there will be help at hand. Eat where Italians are eating, off the man streets.

What a place to study architecture!!
  • Options
    My daughter studied there in 2012. There is so much to see.
    Do the Vatican tour but do yourself a favor and book tickets in advance for a guided tour and u won't have to queue for hours. The coliseum is worth a visit. The Spanish steps and trevi fountain of course. Great food as well. Do yourself a favor and go to Dar Poeta in Trastevere. Best pizza I ever had and I live in USA. Also do amalfi coast, Capri, Pompeii, Florence all doable by train
  • Options
    Go and see Lazio or Roma.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

So much to do, spend the first few days just walking the streets and taking in the sights, have a coffee in the piazzas, make sure you spend some time at the Coliseum and Vatican City.

You will have no problem finding things to do. I have worked there a couple of times and also holidayed there ...a fabulous city.

The big park in the north east of Rome has a tidy little zoo and is a great place to relax and unwind, I saw a few Lazio players jogging around the park.

I loved Rome, the best food is in the Trastavre region of rome (its the proper home cooking.

• Options
    Studying in Italy? As tempting as it may be, avoid 3somes at all costs
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Rome has everything rolled into one...history, great food, night life and top people! The ladies aren't too bad either ;) You won't be short on inspiration, the architecture is stunning. The Pantheon, Roman Forum, Palatine Hill, Circus Maximus, Castel Sant'angelo, the Colosseum, the Vatican and Stadio Olimpico, to name a few, are all amazing in their own right.

I went to watch Roma v Sassuolo and the atmosphere was like nothing I've experienced before. They do like a straight arm salute though!
  • Options
    Walk everywhere, take the tiny streets and do not miss the Bernini sculptures in Villa Borghese. Even if arty stuff isn't ''your thing', you will not regret visiting this gallery and the surrounding parkland contains many surprises and some pretty fantastic views.

• Options
    people smoking joints all over the shop when i watched lazio v roma