Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

seasons its gone to the wire and we've stayed up

off hand, i can only recall the one where we beat bristol city (i think) in a rearranged night match for the last game of the season to send villa and preston down instead of us...i think it attracted our biggest crowd of the season that year with 16k...seasons where we've gone down on the last game of the season that spring to mind are the last time when we were relegated and the first time we went down to the old third division and culminated a dreadful final 14 games to fall from nowhere to getting relegated with a 5-0 deeat at blackpool on the last day...

any others ?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2007
    What about the Bolton match in the early 80's. It was winner takes all. 1-0 with 20mins to play and ended up winning 4-1. Always rememberthat coz the Bolton players were out on the pizz in Blackheath the night before the match. Big pitch invasion at the end of the match and plenty of gesturing towards the Bolton fans.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]....and culminated in a dreadful final 14 games to fall from nowhere to getting relegated with a 5-0 defeat ...... on the last day...

Sounds like Freefall Fulham....... ;-)
  • Options
    1986/87 play offs
    1987/88 Chelsea away
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]1986/87 play offs
    1987/88 Chelsea away

The battle of St Andrews Elland Road and the battle of Stamford Bridge. Two lovely days out...Not
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    My first season of following the Club, 62/3, we stayed up in the old second division on goal average.

We needed to win our last two games against Southampton at home and Walsall away. In the Southampton game the late Cliff Durandt scored in about the 89th minute. Most of the East Terrace had gone it seemed. Some things never change:-)

The Walsall game was crucial as well because it was us or them to go down!
  • Options
    Yes Chelsea was lovely, kept us in for about an hour afterwards if memory serves.

Not that we cared.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]off hand, i can only recall the one where we beat bristol city (i think) in a rearranged night match for the last game of the season to send villa and preston down instead of us...i think it attracted our biggest crowd of the season that year with 16k...seasons where we've gone down on the last game of the season that spring to mind are the last time when we were relegated and the first time we went down to the old third division and culminated a dreadful final 14 games to fall from nowhere to getting relegated with a 5-0 deeat at blackpool on the last day...

any others ?

That Blackpool game was Bob Stokoe's revenge!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    with that blackpool game it was between us and fulham i think who was going down...i remember our tv had packed up and a bloke had come out to fix it...he managed to get it going and the tellyprinter came up on screen and the sports presenter was reading out the scores...when the bad news about us came up, the tv repair man heard it, looked over the top of the set from his position around the back and with a big grin on his face said what great news it was because he was a fulham fan...
  • Options
    i love reading the stories from games before my time, keep em coming guys.
  • Options
    I can remember 4, with 3 having already been mentioned

The Leeds play-off game with super Peter Shirtliff

The Chelsea game at the Bridge when Carlo went mental

The Bolton game at the Valley. I can remember leaving a pub at Gravesend at gone 2.30 totally bevied up and still getting to the game by 3.05.

And then Orient away in what must have been the late 70's. Both teams needed a draw to stay up if I remember rightly and it ended up nil-nil, although I do recall Orient hitting the post towards the end of the game. There were thousands of Charlton at Orient that day and it was a great atmosphere. I think it was also the same season that the original Orient -v- Charlton game had been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch at half time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    88/89 After a 5-2 thrashing on the plastic Luton pitch and an agonising 1-0 reverse at QPR we had to beat Wimbledon or face certain relegation. Leaburn scores a (very) rare goal and Bolder saves a pen from Dennis Wise to ensure 1-0 win. Midweek 3-0 trouncing of Derby confirms our great escape.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    As ltgtr has said, 69/70. Old Div 2. We needed to win our last game at home to Bristol City. We won it 2-1. We were winning 2-0 and they scored with a couple of minutes to go. A very nervy last few minutes. I was quite young but even at that age I realised that supporting the Addicks was not going to be plain sailing.

70/71, went to the penultimate game against Sunderland. We need a win to make certain, but in the end a 1-1 draw was enough as results elsewhere went in our favour.

77/78, As Oscar has said, went to the final game against Orient as Brisbane Road. It's the only game I went to three times. The game was originally abandoned in Feb, called off 24 hours before it finally went ahead. We need a draw, I think they need a win. It finished 0-0 and Jeff Wood pulled off the best save I have ever seen in injury time to keep us level. Orient had one more game left which from memory they won to stay up. There was a lot of squit at the club this season because we had entered into a deal with New England Tea men from which Mike Flanagan, Colin Powell and Leroy Ambrose were allowed to leave before the end of the season to play for New England. Our results went pear shaped. The league were unhappy as well because we were not playing our strongest side.

78/79, went to our final game. We need to beat Oldham and hope that Sheffield Utd lost. We won 2-0 both goals scored by Martin Robinson and they lost. Sheffield Utd then failed to win their last game by a cricket score to overhaul us.

82/83, As Valley Mc has already mentioned went to our final game against Bolton. We needed a win and so did they. Bolton scored first in the second half but a four goal blitz including two by Killer saw them off. I remember being totally drained at the end with no voice from shouting so much.