Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Patenting an app idea

edited February 2015 in Not Sports Related
...does anyone know the best and cheapest way to patent an idea for an app?

Been on the IPO website, but it does go on a bit.

Comments

• Options
    Thank you in advance for any non sarcastic help ; )
  • Options
    From IAM consultants;

Is it worth to patent smartphone or tablet apps?

The app ‘world’ is extremely dynamic. Novel apps with great ideas come and go, some of them stay for several years. But patents are issued for 20 years, which is a lot for such ever-changing world. However, smartphone or tablet solutions, which include interaction with some external devices, such as remote security and alarm systems, control systems or gadgets, such as fish finder, are expected to be viable for tens of years, thus patenting becomes very reasonable.

On the other hand, a great chalenge is to draft patent application such, that it would retain broad scope of protection during several years from the moment it has been written. Therefore it is extremelly important to choose more general titles for devices. ‘Smartphone’ or ‘tablet’ is something, which exists today, but what if tomorrow we will have ‘smart watches’ or ‘smart skin’? What if the most popular input device will be holographic image in the air in front of a person? This is just one example, how important is quality patent drafting for long lasting effective idea protection.

Last, but not least – inventor shall always consider enforcement, before going into patenting. Tangible products, such as smartphones or tablets are much easier to find and recognise in case of infringement. Apps can be downloaded from number of sources into wide range of compatible devices, making it really difficult to track the amount of apps downloaded. At least appstores show the approximate number of apps downloaded, so if you have a patent on an phone application and have detected someone infringing your rights, immediatelly and regularly take a snapshot of the number of downloads in the Appstore or the Play.
  • Options
    No stackit, but that has blown my idea out the water pal!
  • Options

What's the idea mate? ;-)

Doesnt matter... Whatever it turns out to be I'm gonna sue @Brogib cos I "thought" of it first ;)
  • Options
    A transfer strategy app?
  • Options
    Is it an App for ways to protest?
  • Options

A transfer strategy app?

Not available across the channel.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A transfer strategy app?

Not available across the channel.
    Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention I live in France
  • Options
    I'm a patent attorney inbox me if you like :) just don't say on here what your idea is.

And best and chepest don't both happen. Best way is to hire a patent attorney. At hideous expense. Cheapest is to draft the application and file it yourself. The downside is it'll be shit...
  • Options
    An old mate use to write his own songs (probably still does) and he use to post them to himself and file them unopened, but can't see that working with an app.

Can I publish an app like I can a website?
  • Options
    That's to do with copyright. By posting it to himself he could prove at a later date that he wrote the lyrics and the post stamp says when.

The person who creates the code for the app will have copyright as well (so if you outsource this make sure you are assigned all copyright if you don't write it yourself) which will prevent copying of the code but not the idea. Someone could write their own code that does the same thing but wont infringe. Copyright has the benefit of being free. No need to post stuff to yourself, just keep decent records.
  • Options
    Cheers @McBobbin pal, that's been a help.

Might give you a free season ticket when I made me billion and bought the club
  • Options
    You can't patent software in Europe. Algorithms are considered to exist already so are not new and suitable for patent. You would need an artifact of some kind to be able to get a patent.

You can copyright but that is mostly worthless unless you are a huge corporation with means to sue.
  • Options
    edited February 2015

You can't patent software in Europe. Algorithms are considered to exist already so are not new and suitable for patent. You would need an artifact of some kind to be able to get a patent.

You can copyright but that is mostly worthless unless you are a huge corporation with means to sue.

Not software "as such" but there could be a process that is software implemented that could be patented, subject to the usual new/not obvious criteria. But patenting is an expensive game... Sometimes getting in there first and being the best is good enough.

This is the first ever thread where I've been able to make anything other than a lousy contribution... And im milking it for all its worth. Even after being threatened with a season ticket :)
  • Options
    A season ticket for a team of your choice mate, or even South Eastern if you like
  • Options
    Is it pest control app?

Type in the victim.
    Add your level of squeamishness.
    Tells you what poison or what bait or how to source a shotgun.

Job done.
  • Options
    Just email the idea to dizzee@hotmail.co.uk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a fan of patents. Appears to restrict competition for obscene profit most of the time.
    Welcome back Big Rob by the way. How are the kidneys?
  • Options

Not a fan of patents. Appears to restrict competition for obscene profit most of the time.

God, I must be a bit slow in the head. It's only because of this post that I've realised brogib is 'Big Rob'

Out of interest @brogib, why didn't you just keep the 'Big Rob' moniker?
  • Options

God, I must be a bit slow in the head. It's only because of this post that I've realised brogib is 'Big Rob'

It's an app for remembering passwords.
  • Options

I scrambled me password when I got the hump on here last year, so I wouldn't get meself in trouble. Then come back the other week pal.

Kidney okay cheers Absurdistan
  • Options
    Belated welcome back Rob.

:smile: