Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jogging. Treadmill/ roads

Been a jogger most of my adult life. Lately I've been using a treadmill rather than going out, been doing around 40 minutes. This morning I decided to jog outside. After 10 minutes I was blowing out of my arse and really struggling. Are treadmills a waste of time?

Comments

• Options
    Yes and no.

Treadmills are good for start up exercise and good for coming back from injury, outdoors however offers much more strenuos terrain and the gradient is always changing.

Treadmills drag your legs through their stride also... so you're not working as hard.
  • Options
    Have you downloaded the nike running app?
  • Options
    a 1.5 incline also helps when running on a treadmill as no incline really limits the benefit. Like Dazzler21 says, there's no substitute for running outdoors and too much gym running can mess with your stride when you go back to the road. Personally, I only use a treadmill for interval running / sprints as it regulates the "perceived" pace.
  • Options
    I did read once that out of the following: Treadmill / Pavement / Grass / Road... the latter is the best place to run (If you stay out of the way of the cars) because the material is easier on your legs.

Found it was very true as well
  • Options
    edited February 2015

I did read once that out of the following: Treadmill / Pavement / Grass / Road... the latter is the best place to run (If you stay out of the way of the cars) because the material is easier on your legs.

Found it was very true as well

I agree entirely that road is best... Followed by medium trail.
  • Options
    Did one pre-season where i really hit the treadmill consistently at the gym. Really thought I noticed a big difference in my fitness over a 2 month period.

First pre-season friendly and i discovered i could now only run at one pace, like a computer game player, and had completely lost the ability to sprint.
  • Options
    I prefer running out on the road/pavement as I feel like I get a better work out, however my knee cannot take it!
  • Options
    Treadmills are ok, just like turbos/rollers are for cycling but they are no substitute for being outside.
    I limit my treadmill use to gentle warm ups and cool downs and intervals.

If I'm replacing a session from outside, I look to run at around 3-4% gradient for 20 mins max.

Quality over quantity.

• Options

Did one pre-season where i really hit the treadmill consistently at the gym. Really thought I noticed a big difference in my fitness over a 2 month period.

First pre-season friendly and i discovered i could now only run at one pace, like a computer game player, and had completely lost the ability to sprint.

I never ever went on a treadmill and found that even on the pitch I could still only run at one pace.

Still played 70mins CM @39 Saturday though :)

Got a treadmill at home if anyones interested in buying? You can come and get it though as its a beast.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have been walking (can't run due to bad knee) outside but since my wife and I split, having my son live with me, I can't get out but can go to the spare room to go on the treadmill. I tend to do 5k, which takes about 40 minutes, every day. I know it's not as good as going outside but it is better than nothing, no?

Deffo, was the reason I bought the treadmill, done my groin and couldn't run so go the treadmill to walk on, think the kids used it once as well.

Once better I used it for the odd 5 K jog though the week, then my son moved back in after working away, now its in the garage

• Options
    @Dazzler21 - intrigued to know why my comments got a lol.

@Charltonparklane - tempted but not sure my Mrs would be too impressed if I turned up with it!
  • Options
    I'm staying on the couch - always thought exercise kills now there's proof.
    bbc.co.uk/news/health-31095384
  • Options
    I can do 10K on a treadmill in less than 55 minutes. On a road you could probably add twenty minutes to that.

Once ran 46m50 for London 10k but wouldn't get near that now.
  • Options
    We do plenty of walking...Hastings is very hilly so it's a good form of exercise. I've had 3 knee op's (all right knee) and whenever I go for a jog (not often these days) I get hassle from tendenitis (basically hassle with the goose foot, just below the knee joint) towards the inside of my leg.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    JohnBoyUK said:

Immaturity...
    JohnBoyUK said:

Quality over quantity.

That's what all the small guys say...
  • Options
    On the subject of running (but off topic from treadmills) was wondering if anyone can help with the following.

Background, I'm a relatively strong runner, and play rugby every weekend so quite generally fit (or so I claim!)

I've started noticing recently that when I go for a jog, or if I was to do a lot of running/fitness work at rugby training, that the outer side of my knees (mainly the left knee) really start to hurt. Is this something anyone else has experienced when doing lots of running? I get a feeling it may be to do with the muscles from my hip to knee being really tight, but not sure, and also not sure what to do to cure it!

If anyone has experienced similar some help would be much appreciated!
  • Options
    The thing a treadmill cant do is replicate pushing your body through the air. This requires a lot of effort and is why it is harder work running outside compared to on a treadmill.
  • Options

On the subject of running (but off topic from treadmills) was wondering if anyone can help with the following.

Background, I'm a relatively strong runner, and play rugby every weekend so quite generally fit (or so I claim!)

I've started noticing recently that when I go for a jog, or if I was to do a lot of running/fitness work at rugby training, that the outer side of my knees (mainly the left knee) really start to hurt. Is this something anyone else has experienced when doing lots of running? I get a feeling it may be to do with the muscles from my hip to knee being really tight, but not sure, and also not sure what to do to cure it!

If anyone has experienced similar some help would be much appreciated!

As helpful as anyone on here would be I would recommend that you go to see your Doctor asap. These kind of things can be temporary, but if you have worn something away then getting on a waiting list for an operation (or some other kind of treatment) before it impacts on your everyday life is essential.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like my I T Band issue.

But get a doctor to check it out.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    If you put weight on your knee (i.e. kneel down on the film with just the bad knee) does it start really hurting after a while?
  • Options

If you put weight on your knee (i.e. kneel down on the film with just the bad knee) does it start really hurting after a while?

Yes it does.

Dazzler, from a bit of self diagnosis on the internet it does seem to be an IT Band problem. Probably best I get myself to a physio.
  • Options
    I've suffered from something similar. Strangely, my knee pain originated in my hips but it was fairly easy to straighten out and manage going forward. You should see a physio, in my experience GPs are usually not much good with this sort of thing.
  • Options
    There are good programmes on treadmills to vary the gradient and speed, as plodding along at the same speed for half an hour is a poor replication of running outside.

The other thing about running outside is that it's harder to pace yourself and run at the same speed you use on the treadmill
  • Options

Yes it does.

Dazzler, from a bit of self diagnosis on the internet it does seem to be an IT Band problem. Probably best I get myself to a physio.
    Yeah have struggled with this since 2007... Cheers for suggesting the physio lol!
  • Options
    Cant stand treadmills.

Started road running a lot more now and although it doesn't do my joints much good, im a lot fitter when playing football now.

• Options
    edited February 2015

Cant stand treadmills.

Started road running a lot more now and although it doesn't do my joints much good, im a lot fitter when playing football now.

Agreed. I cant get any proper fitness on a treadmill. It's also seriously boring!
  • Options
    ITB Syndrome can be easily solved with a foam roller. The rollers are easily available and there are plenty of tutorials of You Tube how to use them. Will save you the trouble and expense of going to a physio!

Its a common running issue. Have suffered with it myself to the point I was in agony on long runs but after a few sessions on the roller, it pays dividends.
    Dazzler21 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Immaturity...
    JohnBoyUK said:

Quality over quantity.

Still no idea what you're getting at tbh. As for the quality over quantity comment I made, that was the advice of Mara Yamauchi, GBs 2nd quickest ever Marathon runner behind Paula Radcliffe.

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

ITB Syndrome can be easily solved with a foam roller. The rollers are easily available and there are plenty of tutorials of You Tube how to use them. Will save you the trouble and expense of going to a physio!

Its a common running issue. Have suffered with it myself to the point I was in agony on long runs but after a few sessions on the roller, it pays dividends.

Dazzler21 said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Immaturity...
    JohnBoyUK said:

Quality over quantity.

Still no idea what you're getting at tbh. As for the quality over quantity comment I made, that was the advice of Mara Yamauchi, GBs 2nd quickest ever Marathon runner behind Paula Radcliffe.

Surely better to get it checked by a professional first though right?