Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great albums of.......1973

Comments

• Options

The Enoch powell lyric mentions him being a falling star so don't think cale was supporting him.

I have just had a listen to the John Cale song Graham Greene and the offending lyric reads thus: -
    "According to the latest score, Mr. Enoch Powell is a falling star
    So in the future please bear in mind - don't see clear, don't see far"

Quite damning really; but I guess like many great songwriters (Ray Davies etc) he may just be adopting a personna for the purpose of the song.
    In this case Alf Garnett? :-)

I'm thoroughly enjoying listening to the album though after many years.

Hanky, Panky Nohow playing now. Great!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
    Man - Back Into the Future
    Hawkwind - Space Ritual
    Manfred Mann's Earthband - Solar Fire
    Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh
    Gong - Angel's Egg
    Soft Machine - 7
    Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
    Hatfield and the North
  • Options
    edited February 2015

Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
    Man - Back Into the Future
    Oh for the days of tracks of 21 minutes and 19 minutes in a double album!
    Top album all round though.

Gong - Angel's Egg
    So sad to hear Daevid Allen's latest cancer news. Another lovely man.

Hatfield and the North
    Still hugely popular in Japan, strangely.

• Options

Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh

This is my favourite of the year for sure
  • Options

Nazareth - Razamanaz
    Isley Brothers - 3+3
    Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy
    Status Quo - Hello
    Doobie Brothers - Captain and Me
    Art Garfunkel - Angel Clare
    Ringo Starr - Ringo (yeh, I know, catchy though).

• Options
    Montrose Montrose
    Lynyrd Skynyrd Pronounced 'Lĕh-'nérd 'Skin-'nérd
    Budgie Never Turn Your Back on a Friend
  • Options
    A little touch of Schmilsson in the night - Harry Nilsson.
  • Options
    Impressive to think all of these iconic albums came out in one year. If you look back at any of the last twenty years I reckon you might find half those numbers instantly tripping off the tongue and many of them won't stand the test of time.
  • Options
    Some classic prog albums already suggested but Genesis's Selling England By The Pound vies with Dark Side of the Moon as my favourite. Queen's first album also not been mentioned so far.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    In 1973 I bought the eponymous Camel album from Richard Branson's first gig: upstairs in a shoe shop in Oxford Street.

I had seen Camel half-way up a Sunday bill at the Roundhouse: Global Village Trucking Company, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, Ivor Cutler, the Groundhogs, Darryl Way's Wolf...

All good, and this has nothing to do with Peter Frampton. I'm talking about Pete Bardens, grooving on the Hammond organ, Andy Latimer caning his Les Paul, and Andy Ward - one of the most fantastic drummers this side of Christian Vander.

Ah yes, 1973. Caravan. 'For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night' is glorious - It's their best: rocky, lyrical, sweet and hard. I saw them play these songs at the Marquee in Wardour Street, and 40 years later in the Queen Elizabeth Hall.

Richard Coughlan lives on: drumming in 19 / 8. Still gorgeous, tough, and true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In 1973 I bought the eponymous Camel album from Richard Branson's first gig: upstairs in a shoe shop in Oxford Street.

I had seen Camel half-way up a Sunday bill at the Roundhouse: Global Village Trucking Company, Principal Edwards Magic Theatre, Ivor Cutler, the Groundhogs, Darryl Way's Wolf...

All good, and this has nothing to do with Peter Frampton. I'm talking about Pete Bardens, grooving on the Hammond organ, Andy Latimer caning his Les Paul, and Andy Ward - one of the most fantastic drummers this side of Christian Vander.

Ah yes, 1973. Caravan. 'For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night' is glorious - It's their best: rocky, lyrical, sweet and hard. I saw them play these songs at the Marquee in Wardour Street, and 40 years later in the Queen Elizabeth Hall.

The Roundhouse Sunday gigs! Went to a few, including one where Camel played but not this one. Never actually partook of marijuana myself but must have come out of that place completely stoned just from breathing the air! And I'd forgotten about that Caravan album. Must find a download.
  • Options
    Vagabonds of the Western World....Thin Lizzy
    Darkside of the Moon....Pink Floyd
    Aladdin Sane....David Bowie
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath....Black Sabbath
  • Options

And a few more from me...

Darryl Way's Wolf - Canis Lupus (buried treasure to be discovered many years from now)
    Weather Report - Sweetnighter
    Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot
    Nucleus - Labyrinth
    Faust - Faust Tapes
    Billy Cobham - Spectrum

I'd happily trade in my iPad etc for a world that still had all this music. Where's it all gone?!
  • Options

I'd happily trade in my iPad etc for a world that still had all this music. Where's it all gone?!

It still has all this music - great music lives forever.

And there's still some great stuff made today that will join it (just not as much as then!)
  • Options

Alas Richard left us in December 2013. :0(
  • Options

Alas Richard left us in December 2013. :0(
    Sadly yes, Wheresmeticket. I was a drummer myself and I looked up to Richard Coughlan; although he was right-handed he typically began fills with his left hand, which gave an anticipatory urgency to his distinctive clattering snare-drum sound. I can recommend the CD 'Live at the Fairfield Halls, 1974', which includes most of 'For Girls Who Grow Plump' and the classics 'The Love in Your Eye' and 'For Richard'.

In an interview Coughlan claimed to have "invented" the time signature 19 / 8 for 'A Hunting We Shall Go' - not sure you can "invent" time, but it's stirring stuff. Before he passed away, he approved his replacement, the effortlessly capable Mark Walker, whom I saw with the band at the Queen Elizabeth Hall on the South Bank a couple of years ago...

• Options

And a few more from me...

Darryl Way's Wolf - Canis Lupus (buried treasure to be discovered many years from now)
    Weather Report - Sweetnighter
    Captain Beefheart - Clear Spot
    Nucleus - Labyrinth
    Faust - Faust Tapes
    Billy Cobham - Spectrum

That's a terrific line-up, Oliver: such inspired and brilliant musicians. If not Nucleus itself I saw Ian Carr play a jazz club in Hoxton Square in the 1970s. Wolf at the Roundhouse blew me away: the flamboyant virtuoso violin playing of Daryl Way and the intense, complex drumming of Ian Moseley.

I first saw Way with Curved Air, at Goldsmith's College around 1974. We were young and lusty, and in love with Sonja Kristina. The band still records and tours with a replacement for Way; I hugely enjoyed their nostalgic set at the Beaverwood Club in Chislehurst a couple of years ago.

My pal and I were reminiscing about this gig just a few weeks back, after a home game in the Park Tavern, Eltham. A chap propping up the bar said: "Excuse me for overhearing, but I am the sound engineer and tour manager for Curved Air..." Well, after I had picked myself up off the floor we were regaled with picaresque tales from the road...

• Options
    Whoah. How many drummers have we got on here? Now, Viewfinder I can categorically state that I have played in 23/16 time, thanks to some very handy cheats (including, I kid you not, the word 'sausages') that Craig Blundell had written on a whiteboard.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Whoah. How many drummers have we got on here? Now, Viewfinder I can categorically state that I have played in 23/16 time, thanks to some very handy cheats (including, I kid you not, the word 'sausages') that Craig Blundell had written on a whiteboard.

Amazing, Hawksmoor! 23 / 16 - Bravo! But who is Craig Blundell? The other drummer on here is MiserableOldGit, who hammered in punk bands and once supported the ill-fated Gary Glitter at a gig in the crypt of St Paul's church, Deptford.

Some people mistake St Paul's for Hawksmoor - but the gorgeous interior is by Thomas Archer, 1730.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Well now, I'd never mistake St Paul's for Hawksmoor. Although his first church as part of the 50 New Churches Act, was St Alfege in Greenwich, with, it is said, has a Thomas Archer interior. It's not his finest church (that would have to be Christchurch Spitalfields), owing to the tower being re-cased by that cad and bounder, John James. Now, Craig Blundell, apart from being a thoroughly nice bloke, is a bloody brilliant prog-ish drummer who loves strange time signatures. He works closely with Roland, so does quite a lot of purist-baiting e-drum grooves, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC8rgVCcKLk
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hawksmoor said:

He works closely with Roland

dangerous recommendation around here

preceding few posts maybe my favourite conversation on CL in ages :D
  • Options
    Good God! Astonishing technique. One of the most extraordinary and intense drummers I have seen is Christian Vander, leader of the French band Magma: more like a sinister underground cult than a band. He deemed the French language too "soft", so invented his own, in which all his songs are sung. Quite mad, really - but brilliant.
  • Options
    Tres Hombres - ZZ Top (their best album)
    Hello - Quo (the greatest album of '73 by a country mile)
    Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Reg
    (pronounced 'lĕh-'nérd 'skin-'nérd) - Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Goats Head Soup - The Stones

• Options
    Oh, absolutely familiar with Vander and Magma, which, strangely, old soul boy Steve Davies once promoted. One of my old drum teachers Charles Hayward, who was this close to being in Roxy Music, but ended up in Camberwell post punk art band This Heat, was always banging on about him.
  • Options
    Saw Charles Hayward live as part of his Bass Drum duo a few months back. He (and they) were absolutely incredible. Guy's a legend in his own right, not just your old drum teacher!
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Oh, absolutely familiar with Vander and Magma, which, strangely, old soul boy Steve Davies once promoted. One of my old drum teachers Charles Hayward, who was this close to being in Roxy Music, but ended up in Camberwell post punk art band This Heat, was always banging on about him.

Yes, Magma are well worthy of "banging on about". As you say, Plumstead's own snooker ace Steve Davis funded a Magma gig at the Dominion Theatre a few years back; he's also heavily into Caravan and the Canterbury scene. I know Charles Hayward only by his glowing reputation - you had a mighty fine teacher, Hawksmoor...

• Options
    Steve Davis also a big promoter/fan of my favourite band ever Cardiacs and their surrounding art-psych-pop-insanity scene. Very friendly chap when I got to have a word with him at a mini-festival of such concerns.
  • Options
    Leuth, Viewfinder, Hayward is indeed an absolutely tremendous drummer, with a style all his own. Grooving on a tricky time signature while singing: 'Microphone. (whispers) Soundsystem. Ear.... drum. Ear... drum.'
  • Options
    Uriah Heep - Sweet Freedom (One of the best albums ever made)
    Status Quo - Hello
    Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are
    Black Sabbath - Sabbath bloody Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
    Free - Heartbreaker