Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Poundland seeks to buy 99p stores

Bugger. I bet this means all the 99p items, will be hiked to a £1.

Should we arrange a protest meeting ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31160517

Comments

• Options
    Never been in it, but I like the fact there's a 98p shop in Peckham.
  • Options
    Poundland: Gross Profit margin - 36.9%
    Tesco: Gross Profit margin - 20.8%

Now, I wonder which store provides the better deals....
  • Options
    How much?
  • Options
    I see the BBC article (sort of) describes Poundland as discounters. They are anything but. Most of the prices are either more than you'd pay in Tesco or the product sizes/weights are "trimmed".

Out of interest, I've just had a look at my last Sainsbury's bill. Stripping out the meat purchases, (I don't think Poundland sells meat) my average purchase per item was 91p.
  • Options
    That's the trick you have to watch out for in a pound shop. You think you're getting a bargain at 99p, but you can buy the item elsewhere for 75p!!
  • Options
    Think this will all become evident eventually.

It's no different from the issue identified for the elderly living alone, who buy small tins of beans costing twice as much compared to families who buy 4 large tins at a time. Putting stuff in smaller containers costs more.
  • Options

Bugger. I bet this means all the 99p items, will be hiked to a £1.

Should we arrange a protest meeting ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31160517

That's it, I'm sending back my season ticket, its all RD's fault!!
  • Options
    So my Christmas shopping is going to go up 6p this year!

Disgraceful.

We get so ripped off in this country!!
  • Options
    edited February 2015

So my Christmas shopping is going to go up 6p this year!

Disgraceful.

We get so ripped off in this country!!

They've got you over a barrel though - where else can you buy lametta?

Edited to add John Lewis apparently and it's currently only 50p - I'll stock up for next year. johnlewis.com/john-lewis-lametta-red/p1421234
  • Options
    It has some absolute bargains, you just need to make sure you don't buy items that you can get elsewhere for cheaper. I bought deodorant the other day for £1, the exact same as what was selling in boots for £2.50. I spent the £1.50 I saved on a bag of 15 x 1p sweets for £1.50! Now who's the fool.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    agree with dizzee. if you only buy what you know is more expensive elsewhere then you're quids in. Mouthwash which would cost me £2.79 in waitrose and Dettol cleaning stuff which would cost much more elsewhere. They do, however, make their money when shoppers stray and buy 'stuff' they think is a bargain, but don't actually need!
  • Options
    RedMidland gets his suits there, he'll be well pissed off if they go up to a pound ;)
  • Options
    You need to becareful with the toiletries as they are not normally made with the same level of ingredients as uk products fluoride is one of the items they may contain more of
  • Options
    Best things either shop sells are the fly electrocuting tennis racquets and the wind up bbq fans. worth every penny
  • Options
    Going to re-brand as 99.5p Land
  • Options
    Thats inflation for you.
  • Options
    The CEO of Poundland has told the staff at the 99p stores,

"There won't be any change"
  • Options

The CEO of Poundland has told the staff at the 99p stores,

"There won't be any change"

Wait until the penny drops.

• Options
    I bought all my shopping in Poundland, walked round the corner and saw the 99p store - b*st*rds ripped me off! What a mug....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

I bought all my shopping in Poundland, walked round the corner and saw the 99p store - b*st*rds ripped me off! What a mug....

shit happens.

a penny for your thoughts.

• Options
    Carter said:

Best things either shop sells are the fly electrocuting tennis racquets and the wind up bbq fans. worth every penny

Andy Murray should use one on court, it would help him get rid of his anger!