Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Midweek 'whose wreck'

2»

Comments

• Options

Yamamoto

Admiral Yamamoto was shot down over land. The Yamato was 70,000 tons so a bit larger than the vessel in the picture.
  • Options

Bismark

graf spee

Wrong ocean.
  • Options

Yamamoto

Getting warm
    Extrapolating from that, either Yamato or Musashi but it doesn't look big enough. Looks more like the superstructure of a sub.
  • Options
    And maybe I should read to the bottom before commenting.
  • Options
    @A-R-T-H-U-R I like this much more than the "rack" thread.
  • Options
    Q: What do you call a dinosaur lying at the bottom of the ocean?

A: Tyrannosaurus Wreck.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Wouldn't that be better if it was two, whence the answer would be ... Wrecks?
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Wouldn't that be better if it was two, whence the answer would be ... Wrecks?
    Yes, you're quite right, it would. Wait till I see my niece - telling me rubbish jokes!
  • Options
    Is it the I-401, sunk during target practice in 1946. The wreck of the I-401 was found using the new track Link 5000 HA navigation system provided by NOAA's Ocean Exploration Program. The wreck was found in 870m of water off Barbers Point, Oahu. The I-401 was one of 3 aircraft carrying submarine built in 1944. These were the largest diesel electric submarines ever built comparable in size to the largest present day nuclear submarines. They were 20 years ahead of their time. The wreck sits upright on the bottom 5 stories high and 400 feet long. The war ended before the I-401 could accomplish its mission of launching its 3 folding wing planes to attack and destroy the Panama Canal. The submarine was brought by a U.S. crew back to Hawai‘i (story at www.pacerfarm.org/i-400/ ). The I-401 was sunk by torpedoes in a target practice exercise in 1946 to prevent its technology being surrendered to the Russians under a war end agreement?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Kid brother just left the service after 25 years, ending on HMS Astute. Been privileged to a tour his very first boat in the day, a diesel Otus(?)many moons ago, very claustaphobic I remember. Then three years ago got a tour of a bomber HMS Vanguard, again very very claustaphobic despite its relative size. It was out of the water in the ship lift at Faslane. Blows your mind looking up at a seven story submarine weighing 6000 tonnes ish I think.

The museum at Gosport has been re vamped and is highly recommended.
    Remember being at gosport and using their underwater sub escape training tower
    Wonder if that's still there?
    Would love to go back and have a look round the museum
  • Options
    Was down in Gosport over Christmas and funnily enough the underwater sub escape training tower was pointed out to me. So yes it is still there.
  • Options
    Dont even need to right click to know these are from Yamoto's sister ship, Musashi.
    Amazing back story behind it's discovery though Abs. 1km deep and discovery paid for by an American billionnaire.

Is this one small, or far away?
  • Options
    Nice one, you know your wrecks Arthur.
  • Options
    Small
  • Options

Dont even need to right click to know these are from Yamoto's sister ship, Musashi.
    Amazing back story behind it's discovery though Abs. 1km deep and discovery paid for by an American billionnaire.

Is this one small, or far away?

Anne Widdecombe?