Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Moon.

Comments

• Options
    If you've ever wondered where the moon came from: https://www.space.com/19275-moon-formation.html

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

If you've ever wondered where the moon came from: https://www.space.com/19275-moon-formation.html

A french deli, wasn't it?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Whilst the British moon is a little smaller than others, it is made of superior quality cheese.
  • Options
    A bit of a random question!
    whilst on holiday, we were using spotify to try and find a song that I remembered from back in the day, poss mid to late 70s, and it was to do with the moon.
    There was a part in the song where a female telephone operator was talking.
    I thought it was Karen carpenter but couldn't find the operator part, someone then suggested clouds over the moon or something but alas this wasn't it either!
    Any ideas?
  • Options
    Clouds Across the Moon - Rah Band?

80's though I think?
  • Options
    Or Calling Occupants?
  • Options
    Looking back at the older posts on this thread,
    on away trips in the 70's/early 80's, on the motorway the moon would appear bigger or smaller depending on whether I was travelling in the back of a saloon or hatchback.
  • Options
    we will have a partial eclipse about 8 tonight. however the moon just goes over the edge of the sun. Next decent eclipse in Uk is 2026 and full eclipse 2090.
  • Options
    Getting in the way of the Sun today, pisses me off....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Start watching from 5pm BST.

https://www.nasa.gov/eclipse2017
  • Options
    It was quite cool. I think we had something like a 98-99% eclipse. Watching it was cool, but it also gave everything this like surreal hazy glow which was incredibly beautiful. If any of my pictures are halfway decent I'll post them.
  • Options
    One of my favorite Simpsons moments.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ3Md16q7ck
  • Options
    I've heard a lot about this Moon fella. If he's as big as they say he is and we can afford him I think we should go for it. Good to have options.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

It was quite cool. I think we had something like a 98-99% eclipse. Watching it was cool, but it also gave everything this like surreal hazy glow which was incredibly beautiful. If any of my pictures are halfway decent I'll post them.

Can't lie to you SD, the whooping and cheering I heard on the news was rather irritating. Cheering the moon! Bloody hell. "Yeah! You go moon! Wooooh!"

I don't recall anyone doing that in '99! Admittedly, that's probably because it was cloudy. And we're English.
  • Options

I've heard a lot about this Moon fella. If he's as big as they say he is and we can afford him I think we should go for it. Good to have options.

He's massive:

• Options
    A free agent since leaving the UN
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    We like the moon
    https://youtu.be/I9MZNEXrElw
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We had it at about 80% up here - had to use a pinhole camera type thing to see it as every pair of specs were sold out for miles. It droped a few degrees in temperature, seemed a little less dazzlingly bright than normal (sun is pretty fierce at these altitudes) and that was about it. I remember the one in 1999 - was in France and it was totally overcast - next one here in 27 years time - hopefully Roland has gone by then.
  • Options

whilst on holiday, we were using spotify to try and find a song that I remembered from back in the day, poss mid to late 70s, and it was to do with the moon.
    I thought it was Karen carpenter but couldn't find the operator part, someone then suggested clouds over the moon or something but alas this wasn't it either!
    Any ideas?

Long shot, but could it be Everyones gone to the Moon.....Jonathan King 1965?
  • Options
    Is it not ' Calling Occupants, of interplanetary craft' by the Carpenters ?
  • Options

Any ideas?

ill try that!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I thought it was but can't find the part of the telephone operator, unless i'm mixing two songs together!
  • Options

Any ideas?

ill try that!
    No, not this one!
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Any ideas?

ill try that!
    No, not this one!
    Worth a shot creepy, in that case sorry, I've no idea?
  • Options
    Or Calling Occupants?

MrOneLung said:

I thought it was but can't find the part of the telephone operator, unless i'm mixing two songs together!
    I'm convinced you are mixing calling occupants and clouds across the moon mate.
  • Options

Or Calling Occupants?

MrOneLung said:

I'm convinced you are mixing calling occupants and clouds across the moon mate.
    "Obscured by Clouds" .... ?

I've still got that Pink Floyd album on vinyl.