Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Travelling

2»

Comments

• Options
    MattD said:

Anyone here done the whole pack your bags and go see the world thing?
    Currently 22 in a dead end job and just out of a relationship, so got the whole idea of running away in my head at the moment.

Anyone been there and done it? If so how was it out there, how old, how expensive, and how screwed were you when you came back?
    Id really like to do the whole Aus/Asia thing.

Go for it Mattd. You will never regret it.
    Five years ago my wife and I traveled around the world for 8 months. On our return I published a book called ‘The Grey Nomads’ which you may find interesting.
    We purchased a round the world ticket which enabled us to stop off in various continents. Obviously your budget will determine your route and destinations.
    Think about what you want to achieve, for example - we wanted to experience deserts, mountains (America) and outback (Australia) as well as travelling on as many forms of transport as possible including one railway journey across America and another on the jungle railway in Malaysia.
    You may consider Australia’s east coast from Sydney to Cairns, you would meet many back packers on this route staying in cheap hostels and find casual work if you want.
    Whatever you do you will enjoy meeting many people and have experiences that will stay with you for ever. Go for it.
  • Options

MattD said:

Currently 22 in a dead end job and just out of a relationship, so got the whole idea of running away in my head at the moment.

Anyone been there and done it? If so how was it out there, how old, how expensive, and how screwed were you when you came back?

Five years ago my wife and I traveled around the world for 8 months. On our return I published a book called ‘The Grey Nomads’ which you may find interesting.
    We purchased a round the world ticket which enabled us to stop off in various continents. Obviously your budget will determine your route and destinations.
    Think about what you want to achieve, for example - we wanted to experience deserts, mountains (America) and outback (Australia) as well as travelling on as many forms of transport as possible including one railway journey across America and another on the jungle railway in Malaysia.
    You may consider Australia’s east coast from Sydney to Cairns, you would meet many back packers on this route staying in cheap hostels and find casual work if you want.
    Whatever you do you will enjoy meeting many people and have experiences that will stay with you for ever. Go for it.
    Is the book available for kindle?
  • Options
    Do it, you won't regret a thing!!!! You'll meet so many people on your travels so will never be lonely, you'll see and experience so much on your travels that a picture just won't do it justice. Make the most of your current situation, otherwise you could end up regretting it.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    Do it, but put quite a lot of planning and research in before you go, yet leave a lot of space for flexibility and last minute hitches and change of plan.
    Few places in the world outside the obvious war zones, are inaccessible nowadays, there's a trade off between being a tourist and a traveller.
    Make sure you know what anti-nasties jabs to get before you go, get your teeth checked, get the cash and go, travel as light as possible, (buy cheap clothes when you're away) depending of course on where you plan to go
    .. one disease to beware of on your return .. wanderlust, that can be incurable .. enjoy it when and if you go ((:>)
  • Options

MattD said:

Is the book available for kindle?
    Yes look on amazon books.

• Options
    Rose and Crown - You may enjoy my reference to Charlton Athletic - chapter 18 Washington.
  • Options
    Matt, I've spent a great deal of my life travelling and would never advise anyone against it - it really has given me the best education and opened my eyes to so many things.

However... I can understand that it might be a good time for you to go in some senses as you mentioned, but please don't just plunge in as a reaction to what's gone wrong. Plan it, save for it, and maybe just dip your toe in the water first. Despite the homogenisation of much of the world by multi-nationals etc. there are still some huge cultural differences which can be both enlightening and daunting. If you've never been to what might be termed a developing country, choose carefully at first. Places like Morocco, Turkey, and Thailand offer a good degree of the "exotic" without being too challenging first time out. I used to include Egypt in that list but sadly things are a bit tense there in some areas now.

Guide books such as Lonely Planet and Rough Guide provide pretty much all the info you need to live relatively cheap (digs, buses, trains, food etc.) and are much more informal than the Victorian approach of some of their fore-runners. They'll also ensure that you meet plenty of fellow travellers coming the other way who can exchange up to the minute tips.

Probably above all else, take sufficient funds, even for the cheaper countries. There's always a chance of over-spending when you don't know all the short cuts that locals can take advantage of. Keep a reserve and be strict with yourself if you want to go for a longer period. Seeing your funds dwindling away while you've still got a long way to go is a very uncomfortable feeling.

If you go with a mate, make sure it's someone you know and trust implicitly. Certain circumstances will test your friendship to the max - illness, shortage of funds, flings along the way, differences of opinion, even just being sick of the sight of each other - all will put a strain on your friendship.

The last thing I want to do is sound negative though - travelling with your eyes and mind open is a truly wonderful thing. Although there are a few scumbags lurking, there are infinitely more wonderful people ready to show you into their homes and share their very existence with you. Further afield some will be genuinely touched that you've come to their village. I can't begin to describe the way it has all changed my life, and when my boys are old enough I'll buy them the best back pack I can afford and send them off with my blessing.

Do it, but only when you're prepared. It might be worth just sticking out the crap job for a few more months to ensure you can do it properly when you're ready. You could always skip away for a couple of weeks closer to home to see how it goes first. Good luck, and if you do go ahead I'm more than happy to help again.
  • Options

Rose and Crown - You may enjoy my reference to Charlton Athletic - chapter 18 Washington.

nearly finished my current book so will look to download this week. I will let you know when i have read it.
  • Options
    MattD said:

Don't fuck about, just do it - you'll never regret it.

I live in Oz now but did the Backpacking thing for four months here and loved it - had a great time and you will meet some great people.

Life is too short to think "what if" so, as the great Shane Warne used to say, "Forget about the bad stuff, just go for it and give it a red hot go!"

Good luck.
  • Options
    I'd definitely recommend it, Matt.

Make sure you include places like Rotherham, Rochdale, Luton and a quaint area of South London called Crystal Palace.

You will need your trusty phrase book as the language used in said parts can be difficult to understand & the natives are not necessarily friendly....

Travelling has certainly broadened my outlook with some destinations drawing me back year after year.

Enjoy !

:smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't do it. Get an ISA
  • Options
    Do it, but the Charlton way: with your round-Britain rail pass
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

If I could turn the clock back 35 years, I'd definitely do it. Life is out there ...

agree with this, do it while you can
  • Options
    I cant comment upon your reasons or rationale for travelling. I can say that my wife and I travel as much as our pocket allows (and I am 68). Have been to 80 different countries/islands and returned home this morning from a trip combining Cape Town, Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe side), Botswana and a trip to a local village in Namibia. Go for it!

• Options
    Travelling is beautiful, and can be enjoyed in many different forms, be it just pack & go without money saved, be it a fully planned trip. Every and each way has it's benefits.

The people you meet become such good friends at the time, and sometimes for life in one form or another, and it really does change you as a person, but always for the better. It makes you realise how life's not all about you and working to live for yourself, there's so much more to it.

I am in the fortunate position of choosing and picking my places and doing it as I please without having to dedicate so heavily to it, but even when I 'have' to return home I am tempted to miss the flight and off & up to the next and nearest place I fancy.

Plan it whilst saving up, and talk to people who have done similar to what your plans involve - some of the information and tips you will receive will be crucial and some absolutely golden tips amongst them - you will thank them after for sure.
  • Options
    As everybody says, do it. Took a year out (with the Mrs) and went to Mexico and South America and then south east Asia followed by India. Would love to so it all again and have never been the same since. Some travelers will become friends, whilst others you will want to avoid at all costs.

Our policy was that if we arrived in a place we didn't like we got on the next bus out.
  • Options
    Oh and take out good travel insurance but buy essential medicines "on the road".
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Better to regret what you've done than regret what you've not done.

Living driving around the USA and will do it again one day but for even longer.
  • Options
    MattD said:

Get yourself the movie 'Into the Wild' mate and have a bit of what he did - take the Eddie Vedder soundtrack with you also - heaven!!

PS: Just watch what you eat!!!
  • Options
    A job you're not enjoying and single, seems to me you're in the perfect opportunity to give it a go.
    If you don't enjoy it, then come back. But I'd advise to try it out.

I went on the typical round the world ticket when I was nineteen before starting university, already had a great interest in heritage and culture (hence why i now work in museums).

Now I'm older, I save up my annual leave every year and then take a four week plus break from work to travel around somewhere. Last few years have been Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Australia and Japan. Heading off to India for a month next week.

It will open your eyes to a thousand different scenes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't do it. Get an ISA

I laughed at that.
    Save for the future, don't listen to them
    They wont be there to help you when your 65 and skint.
  • Options
    Don't know if they still do this, but many moons ago I drove someone's car across Canada for them.
    They give you a set time to do this and pay your petrol.
    This was over 25 years ago though.
    theguardian.com/travel/2013/dec/03/driveaway-drive-across-us-canada-free-drive-out-courier
  • Options

MattD said:

Get yourself the movie 'Into the Wild' mate and have a bit of what he did - take the Eddie Vedder soundtrack with you also - heaven!!

PS: Just watch what you eat!!!
    Never eat salad/raw veg in Asia or South America. Not even if the place is really posh and/or expensive.

Don't eat the raw onion you sometimes get with nuts in India. Street food is fine but go where the locals go and a queue is good as less chance of the food being off!

Oh and being a veggie is a nightmare in South America but a dream in Asia, and don't eat "western" food.
  • Options
    Loads of great advice, especialy Paddy7. All I would add is that potential employers may - should - look favourably on someone who has planned and done a bit of travelling off the normal holiday routine.