Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Kindness Of GlassHalfFull Continues

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2015
    Golden story. Good luck to anyone trying to find something as special as this at Arsenal or the likes!

May be called GlassHalfFull but you're certainly filling other peoples glasses my man.... (half makes sense..?) :blush::blush:
  • Options
    Once again well done that man! Also well done fanny, great story too.
  • Options
    Great story and shows what Charlton and the supporters are all about,well done Alan and Jean and wellcome rossman92
  • Options
    It's people like GHF and FF that make me proud to be an Addick. Lovely thing to do and great appreciative post from Rossman92. Charlton will always be our Charlton all the time we've got great fans like these.
  • Options
    I can only echo what others have said about Alan, a true supporter, and very kind man. I had the honour of accompanying Alan a couple of home games ago, and it reminded me of the first time that I met him in person at his flat with Viewfinder, a couple of season's ago. I think I was trying to convince Viewfinder about the ACV on the Valley, but of course within a few minutes Alan's generousity, and kind spirit, resulted in just talking about the club that we all support, and looking out of his previous flat's window with that wonderful panoramic view of the Valley. I am by nature a half empty person, but Alan's generous spirt has to be admired.
  • Options
    Top fella GHF, lovely thing to do.

Happy reading Rossman!!
  • Options

Grateful thanks again for all the nice words.

This project started when it became clear that programmes etc of little interest here would receive a much better reception overseas. Jessie was the ideal first candidate and Ross is undoubtedly a worthy successor. It's humbling to find such brilliant support, so far away and so completely detached from any direct Charlton connection.

I am not so mobile these days, and for me this is just another way to support my club, no more costly than a good-distance away match and infinitely more rewarding than most such.

This time @Ledge (Martin) got things started, offering some Voices and programmes which he went out of his way to deliver to me in Woolwich. @Fanny (Jean) was as supportive as ever, together with her husband Richard who made a handsome job of the parcel. The distinguished author of Battle for The Valley kindly signed Ross' copy. For the shipping, UPS again were excellent.

After thousands of miles East and then again West, the project continues with something a bit nearer to home, I hope within the coming ten days, and I've got some other ideas as well, for later.

We are all supporters of this unique, this wonderful club but we are also its servants, and there are many unsung heroes, a good number of which are on CL, who work tirelessly in the club's wider interests. We all have a part to play.

I fully understand the "franchise" issue and accept that we cannot be run like a branch of McDonald's, out of a manual. Having said that, I am firmly pro-European and pro-Network, and truly believe that the present estrangement between the club and the fans will gradually be resolved. @Weegie, I'm not sure if the Owner would be interested in, let's say, the Blackburn programme from 2003/2004 but he has only to let me know. As for Katrien, after the recent Traingate incident I sent her some nice flowers, so she's not been overlooked.

The current turmoil is regrettable, exacerbated when we reflect on the campaign to return home and the subsequent years when the club administration, the players and coaching staff, and the fans, beat as a single heart, culminating in that epic day at Wembley. The recent fears that "our" Charlton is dead are greatly exaggerated - Charlton Athletic Football Club reside in the soul of so many, and will never, ever die. The spirit so evident in this fantastic world-wide community on CL alone is just breathtaking.

We'll be alright.

Well done mate. This thread is excellent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic story to hear. Well done to all involved, some people with big hearts out there.If I can ever do anything to help out in future, please just ask.
  • Options
    What a great story. I must admit something must've got in my eye when I read through this thread. A fly or something.
  • Options
    my cockles have been roasted, lovely story well done to alan and fanny.
  • Options
    Great reading this - we really do have some great people following our club :)
  • Options
    Fantastic story and superbly written also.
  • Options
    That is absolutely fantastic. That is a tremendous gesture @GlassHalfFull . And @Rossman92, that is a great story. I don't know how you found us, but you did, and congratulations and commiserations in equal measure.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Thank you so much, everyone. Ross' post made me feel so proud because he's shown us all just exactly why I thought he would be the right person for shipment #2.

And the story doesn't end there, believe it or not. One of the regular posters on here has stepped forward to defray all my costs on the parcel to Ross, and his generosity, for which he asks to remain anonymous, leaves me lost for words. There is something special afoot on here - if things carry on like this CL will have to hire the whole of Bartram's for each home game !!

Sadly I will not be around for tomorrow's shenanigans and on Tuesday I will be a latecomer, but I'm really looking forward to the Blackburn game on the 14th. This scarred season is ending far too soon !! In many different ways we turned a corner against Brentford and another at the open meeting. Everyone, the club and hopefully the Owner not excluded, looked into the abyss and shuddered - we can do so much better than this and we can all play a part. I have something in mind for mission #3, hopefully aided and abetted by another prominent Lifer (not Fanny this time), and should have some news within the next 10 days. In the meantime please support CAS Trust, the Museum and the PoTY dinner (rest assured that will NOT be going the same way as its BTTV counterpart!), to name but three - and above all keep the faith. (And for Gawd's sake, Ross, please change the title of this thread!)

We are MANY - we are ONE.