Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Classy Charlton

Huge amount of positives today.

We have so so few people that fall into the legend category, and even less that have bought into genuinely liking and being proud to be associated with our non-headline grabbing club.

Chris Powell undoubtedly is one of them.

I'm so glad that both before the game, and in the third minute the crowd pretty much as one paid that bit of respect. Paying homage to an opposition person is rare in football, I'm glad we had the class to do that, I'm glad we as fans ended it with a massive roar of support for our team, and I'm glad we went on to smash em with some fantastic, on the front foot football.

Proper Charlton today.

Comments

• Wish the newbies would stick to the post match views thread...
  • WSSWSS
    edited February 2015
    masicat said:

If there had been a pro Luzon chant it would have been even classier.

Pesky silent majority eh?
  • masicat said:

Why? He's been here 5 minutes. Doing well so far but not done anything to compare withSCP so far. I hope he does brilliantly but he needs to earn the love.
  • masicat said:

Well, why didn't you start one then?
  • iainment said:

masicat said:

Why? He's been here 5 minutes. Doing well so far but not done anything to compare withSCP so far. I hope he does brilliantly but he needs to earn the love.
    Plus given our recent history with managers it's unlikely he'll be here for years to come, so understandable if fans take a while to give him that kind of vocal support.
  • aliwibble said:

masicat said:

Well, why didn't you start one then?
    I did. Someone behind shouted "FFS sit down Mary Wells"
  • Sponsored links:

• Yesterday confirmed even stronger for me that we haven't seen the last of CP at The Valley and he will be back at some stage. I can see him being our equivalent of Palace & Warnock, but better and more likeable.
  • “It was very touching and emotional for me, but I’m quite embarrassed as well. I’ve moved on and they’ve moved on and got some good results recently.

“To be honest, with my relationship with Charlton’s supporters and how they are – I wouldn’t expect anything less of what they showed me today.

“That was just beyond what any supporters would do, especially for an opposition manager. But I’m not surprised after how they’ve been with me through three spells as a player and then as the manager.

“[My time at Charlton] was a great moment in my long career and something I won’t forgot."

Pretty sure the [My time at Charlton] was more likely [When they applauded me in the 3rd minute] ?

• i was totally against the 3rd minute thing and certainly didnt join in. however agree with AFKAs sentiments entirely .
  • Stig said:

For eleven months those less attached to Powell have been telling the rest of us to, 'move on'. An exasperatingly juvenile catchphrase that sought to browbeat people into thinking as they did. It was always doomed to failure because the majority of people felt that Powell was our best manager in recent years and hated that he was so shabbily treated by the club. More than anything else though, 'moving on' was always going to be a non-starter for many of us because we felt we'd never had our chance to say our thank-yous and goodbyes.

"And we move on", was always Chris Powell's own catchphrase at Charlton postmatch interviews.

It got borrowed and paraphrased by many on here.

• iainment said:

masicat said:

He's getting there! :-)