Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football League World

My middle lad is interested in getting into sports journalism. He's 18 and has a full time job at the moment, but its not for him.
He has seen this link and tentatively enquired, they responded and said that initially he would be a free contributor and if his pieces are good enough then they can make him a paid editor.
Before he commits I wonder if anyone else has experience of Football League World. Pros and cons etc.
Any advice greatfully received.
Thanks

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2015
    https://domaintuno.com/d/footballleagueworld.co.uk suggests its server is based in Germany but the web site is registered to someone called Samuel Rourke at what looks like a private adddress: 2 Griffiths Close, Thatcham, RG19 4FH Another site suggests it's income is a less than impressive $27 a day. Make of that what you will!

Edited to add more info: w3bin.com/domain/footballleagueworld.co.uk
    9000 site visitors a day it seems.
  • Options
    Might do better to contact the News Shopper and even the club to see if he can contribute, for free, to recognised publications. 400 words fills a page in the programme and if they are short of copy might use it. If it is any good.

Louis Mendez and Greg Stubley both post on here and write for the news shopper. Ask them.

And there is always Voice of the Valley. No pay but you get a free copy and it builds up the portfolio to show to people. Again it has to be any good (although Rick does publish crap from John Lawson so standards must have slipped since the 5th Column went)

If he is really desperate he could write reviews and articles for Charlton Life but the pay stinks and the appreciation non-existent. But he might toughen him up for the real world of journalism what with all the slagging off, grammar and spelling pedants and general abuse.

Footballleagueworld sounds like someone in their back bedroom. Might as well do his own blog.
  • Options
    Thanks both.
    HI - yes he is doing his own blog as well , we have worked out a USP for his blog too.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Get him to keep at it with his own blog. Unless you're doing a mate a favour or are doing it to push a cause, stay well clear of stuff which doesn't pay.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

My middle lad is interested in getting into sports journalism. He's 18 and has a full time job at the moment, but its not for him.
    He has seen this link and tentatively enquired, they responded and said that initially he would be a free contributor and if his pieces are good enough then they can make him a paid editor.
    Before he commits I wonder if anyone else has experience of Football League World. Pros and cons etc.
    Any advice greatfully received.
    Thanks

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk

I'm at Brighton Uni currently in my second year doing Sports Journo.

I'd advise trying to learn as much knowledge of SJ as you can.

I went on one of these workshop days in Wimbledon (think it has moved since then) and learnt a lot. If he is serious about it, then a University degree that also does a 'NCTJ' qualification is recommendable.

http://sportsbeattraining.co.uk/free-sports-journalism-workshops

For websites that don't pay, make sure their readership appeals to him. For instance, I write previews for this forum and cover Charlton regularly for News Shopper. The previews for CL are great as it's somewhere I visit every day, so to see something that i've worked hard on commented by people I know (so to speak) means a lot.

News Shopper has allowed me to be involved with other journalists, players and managers and despite it being voluntary, the experience and knowledge I have picked up in just over six months has been fantastic. Might be worth him writing to his local paper even if it is covering a more local team like Welling or Dartford etc.

If continues with his own blog, make sure that USP or 'Niche' is something he'll enjoy. Writing for not very well known websites for free is not always the worse thing in the world, but if he never picks up advice or comments, then it will seem pointless after a while.

For any more advice or help, just send me an inbox.
  • Options
    WSC writers' competition
    We are pleased to announce the return of the annual WSC writers' competition, in memory of contributor David Wangerin. Entrants are invited to submit an article of between 800 and 1,500 words, about any aspect of the 2014-15 football season. The award was David's idea and he requested that it should only be open to amateur writers, ie those who don't make their living from writing. The closing date for submissions is May 31, 2015.

Send entries by email to writers.competition@wsc.co.uk. This address should also be used for any questions you may have as we will not take phone enquiries.

The judging panel will be made up of WSC editor Andy Lyons, co-founder Mike Ticher and news editor Tom Hocking. There will be a cash prize of £250 for the winner and the winning article will be published in the magazine next summer.

Read the winning article from the 2013 competition by Mark Sanderson

Read the winning article from the 2014 competition by Charlie Monaghan

Rules and conditions of entry
  • Options
    There must be a space at the Mail on Sunday since Mick's dad jacked it in... :wink: