Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Napoleon Total War

Anyone else play this? Just started but the Napoleon battle section seems way too hard.

Comments

• What's going wrong? Have you played other Total War games before? It's all about tactics and unit placement. You will win or lose a battle before a single shot is fired if you place your units correctly.

Have a look at Walkthroughs (search on Google), you might get some good battle tips.
  • Can you not use a smart bomb and end the game early?
    Then you can put the TV on.
  • Fiiish said:

What's going wrong? Have you played other Total War games before? It's all about tactics and unit placement. You will win or lose a battle before a single shot is fired if you place your units correctly.

Have a look at Walkthroughs (search on Google), you might get some good battle tips.

Cheers Fiish
  • Excellent book and clarifies his tactics succinctly.

• Addickted said:

Excellent book and clarifies his tactics succinctly.

Typical that you would be praising the French
  • Wellington kicks French 'arris.
  • Total War is an awesome game, as Fiish says, if you don't place the units right at the start, you're almost certainly gonna get smoked.

Not played any TW for a while as I've been pretty hooked on Civ5 for a few months.
  • Is this a PC game or PS/X Box or app ?
  • Total War is an awesome game, as Fiish says, if you don't place the units right at the start, you're almost certainly gonna get smoked.

Not played any TW for a while as I've been pretty hooked on Civ5 for a few months.

Did you ever play Civ4 and if so how does it compare with 5? I have resisted as I have been told that it has been massively dumbed down.
  • MrOneLung said:

Is this a PC game or PS/X Box or app ?

PC game

Unfortunately total war games have gone down hill since medieval 2. Rome 2 was awful on release and atilla has a weird bug where an ai army can march to the other side of the world just to fight you. Makes it unplayable when you're the huns and everyone hates you.

Wish they combined crusader kings 2 and total war.. Now that would be epic. CK2 was the first game in ages that's made me stay up mega late playing.
  • Sponsored links:

Did you ever play Civ4 and if so how does it compare with 5? I have resisted as I have been told that it has been massively dumbed down.
    I didn't give Civ 5 much of a chance but I agree, was very dumbed down compared to 4 and I went back to Civ 4 after a couple of games on 5.
  • Can't beat a bit of marching all over Belgium. Those were the days.

I played A LOT of Civ4 with a few awesome mods that make it a lot more realistic.

The best way I can describe Civ5 is it's a pc game, designed for console kids. It's hugely dumbed down, although I love the military stuff as it's one unit per tile, so it's can get a lot more interesting, rather than just who has the biggest stack of death, moving your units and trying to trap the enemy is much more interesting on Civ5.

Civ4 + Beyond The Sword, with the Rise of Mankind mod might be the best thing I've ever played for realism.

The Brave New World addon for Civ5 fixed a lot of stuff but it's still not great, I guess I got burned out of Civ4 so needed something new.

Civ4 + Beyond The Sword, with the Rise of Mankind mod might be the best thing I've ever played for realism.
    This completely. I really like RoM mod, although vanilla Civ 4 with both expansions is also decent enough for a casual whirl.
  • I'm not sure I could ever go back to not having RoM, no bombarding would drive me crazy.
  • I'm not sure I could ever go back to not having RoM, no bombarding would drive me crazy.

True. Sometimes I want to play and finish a game within a week though. Pretty sure last time I played RoM I played for 3 nights and only gotten as far as the Iron Age, and shortened turn counts ruin it for me. Whereas on vanilla, at least I can still play Marathon speed and get through a game in a few evenings.
  • edited March 2015
    My last file, lasted about a month, it was epic but I've not been able to play Civ4 since I finished it. Have you ever tried a constant war file? They're pretty fun.

Me and my old flat mate had a great hotseat game going too, but once it got to the 40mins a turn stage, it got quite hard.

My wife constantly tells me if I spent half the time I do conquering fictional worlds, studying Chinese, I'd probably be fluent. Where's the fun in that. Jokes on her, she's never ruled the world. ;-)
  • Fiiish said:

I'm not sure I could ever go back to not having RoM, no bombarding would drive me crazy.

True. Sometimes I want to play and finish a game within a week though. Pretty sure last time I played RoM I played for 3 nights and only gotten as far as the Iron Age, and shortened turn counts ruin it for me. Whereas on vanilla, at least I can still play Marathon speed and get through a game in a few evenings.
    I am the kind of sad f*** who likes to be the long game. My kids find it hysterical that I can't move on from Civ4. Desperate for something as good but always get bored quickly with other games. I will have to check and see that I have the RoM mod, has it been around a while?
  • edited March 2015

Fiiish said:

I'm not sure I could ever go back to not having RoM, no bombarding would drive me crazy.

I am the kind of sad f*** who likes to be the long game. My kids find it hysterical that I can't move on from Civ4. Desperate for something as good but always get bored quickly with other games. I will have to check and see that I have the RoM mod, has it been around a while?
    It's fairly old, it has a complete rework of the tech tree and changing a lot of the military workings, archers, cannons etc bombard with every attack, if you had RoM, I'm pretty sure you'd know, it's like a totally new game.

If you like the long game, you'll love RoM, it makes each era last roughly as long as a vanilla game.
  • I am downloading it now. Cheers Stu & Fiiish, you might see a lot less of me on CL if the mod is as good as it sounds.
  • Sponsored links:

• Once it's all installed (make sure to get it right, it's not the most stable of mods) you'll probably want to have a play around with the RevDMC settings, archer bombard and attack support are a must imo.

Also watch out, a lot of units/buildings require other building that wasn't the case in vanilla. As an example, you can't build cannons in a city that doesn't have a cannon factory. All part of the realism :D