Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best most effective football drills

I'm involved in helping arranging possible necessary training for new 11aside team just starting up.

For anyone with good experience like you've previously coached or been coached, what would you suggest are the best drills for all round rapid football skill improvement?

Fitness and stamina has already been covered and we don't want to be doing just 5asides.

Looking for good drills particularly to help dribbling, balance, strengh, passing, positioning.

Browsing the web but mostly just see stuff that is too easy or basic.

Any help appreciated cheers.

Comments

• Options
    Dave, what age and skill level are your players?
  • Options
    There's a Dutch system that is very popular - Couever or something like that

When I coached it was really useful

I assume you have done your FA1 at least? If not then well worth £150
  • Options
    Something that is easily organised and very effective, from the Arsenal Acadamy where my 7 year old grandson is training.
    Simple 4 or 5-a-side games played on a small pitch, but with 2 games going on at the same time.
    Imagine a red team playing blues while greens play yellows. A separate ball for each game of course, but the boys have to be very aware and constantly on the move.
    Made me realise how Arsenal teams play the type of football that they do,
  • Options
    Where all mid 20s.

Piss off Holloway, we'll see you Good Friday.

Made my whole household laugh that fair play.

Thought of basic 3 v 3 players on coned out area possession game. 5 complete passes equals goal. Can't go wrong there.
  • Options
    Play keep ball! No goals! aim is to keep the ball on your team.. good for passing and ball control ! Keep the pitches small!
  • Options
    The main problems you'll encounter are actually getting all or most players to turn up to training, due to work or making excuses, as they can't be arsed, so trying to work on any tactical moves is pretty pointless. I ran a team for a few years and we used to do midweek training, with anything from 16 to 5 turning up for a session.

My advice is to just keep it simple and fun.............
  • Options

Piss off Holloway, we'll see you Good Friday.

35 lols in one post

Starting to get jealous :wink:
  • Options
    Teach them the South African Fish/ Bartlett pre match warm up thing.
  • Options
    Coerver is the best coaching but depends on age if they are over 18 just take em down the pub .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Going on last night's Manure vs Arse match, Van Gaal seems to be focussing on training on how to con the Ref while completely ignoring the actual football skills.

Here's the latest trend he might want to adopt...pulling your own shirt!

• Options
    From the school of pep, a good way to start a session is get them comfortable and fluent in 'Rondos' before every session. Very basic piggy in the middle closing down, but easy to see improvements in both accuracy of passing, reactions, closing down and positioning.

Really good examples on youtube and you can change it to make it easier or harder.
  • Options
    Dave, insidesoccer.com
    Well worth couple months subscription for ideas, all pro teams, even some free drills on there.
    Some are complex but adjust them to your needs.
    Look no further mate, thank me later.

Valley Gary will recognise a few on there.

• Options
    http://www.coerver.co.uk/

This is what I mentioned before, simple and effective.

Lots of drills on YouTube using the principles as well.
  • Options
    Dave I have a batch of youth drills for ages 12-16 (100+pages) I used when I ran a team under7s through to under18s your welcome to them if you think they will help. l am near Marden in Kent, failing that I can post them to you or meet up at the Valley