Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Away goal rule in extra time

13»

Comments

• Options
    IA said:

It's not hazy. At the end of the second match (90 mins), if the scores are tied on aggregate, the team with the most away goals wins. If they have scored the same number of away goals, it goes to extra time.

At the end of extra time, if the scores are tied on aggregate, the team with the most away goals wins. If they have scored the same number of away goals, it goes to penalties.

Seems clear to me.

If you want to scrap away goals altogether, that's an understandable point of view. I think penalties are awful. I can live with away goals (sensibly applied - see Milan v Inter semifinal) if they reduce the likelihood of penalties.

No No I understand the rule. I agree penalties are harsh, they don't really show how good a team is. Perhaps I should have used a different word
  • Options
    I think I should just stop talking lol
  • Options
    IA said:

It's not hazy. At the end of the second match (90 mins), if the scores are tied on aggregate, the team with the most away goals wins. If they have scored the same number of away goals, it goes to extra time.

At the end of extra time, if the scores are tied on aggregate, the team with the most away goals wins. If they have scored the same number of away goals, it goes to penalties.

Seems clear to me.

That's not the case in the League Cup or play offs. That's potentially why people find the rules hazy, they change from one competition to another.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    so if it were still 1-1 after extras and if Chelsea would have won on penalties, is that 'fair' on the away team taking pens in a hostile environment ? .. I think that away goals should count in full or in extra time
  • Options
    At the end of the day, there is no perfect solution. I think it's as good a rule as any.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Dont see what the fuss is about... Once again Chelsea only DREW with PSG so in Mourinho's eyes that means they didnt lose so should be allowed to keep their unbeaten home record and continue in the competition
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    My preference would be like what they used to do at the end of football at primary school - if the scores are tied at full time, then the following happens:

1) Play stops and players switch ends and have time to rest/team talk for 5 minutes.

2) Play resumes with the team that kicked off the first half kicking off from the centre spot. Golden goal rules now apply.

3) If no goal is scored after 5 minutes, at the next dead ball each team removes a player of their own choice from the field.

4) Repeat step 3 every 5 minutes until each team is down to 1 player or a goal is scored.

Far more interesting than extra time or penalties. Imagine a CL Final between Barca and Real Madrid and the only players left on the field are Ronaldo and Messi. Not that it would ever happen but I'd watch it.
  • Options
    Monaco played like Rabbits in the headlights last night. 3-1 up so just had to stop the Arse scoring 3.
  • Options
    Wenger just been on the radio making the case for keeping the away goals rule (by whinging on on about it and calling for it to be changed). Come on, Arsene, you knew the rules when you entered the competition and when you shipped 3 goals at home!
  • Options

Wenger just been on the radio making the case for keeping the away goals rule (by whinging on on about it and calling for it to be changed). Come on, Arsene, you knew the rules when you entered the competition and when you shipped 3 goals at home!

Funny how Wenger always calls for the rules to be changed when it costs him games. He wanted to ban throw-ins after losing to Stoke, complained about corners when Fabianski couldn't defend them for toffee and said players who dive should be banned. That last one might seem reasonable if he hadn't overlooked so many blatant dives and acts of cheating by his own players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Did anyone want Chelsea to win?

I always want British teams to go through, I personally won't have the same enthusiasm to watch the quarters without them in it unless it's a barca real Madrid game.

Love the brit teams in Europe, especially when the nights draw out and kick off in the sun.
  • Options

I always want British teams to go through, I personally won't have the same enthusiasm to watch the quarters without them in it unless it's a barca real Madrid game.

Love the brit teams in Europe, especially when the nights draw out and kick off in the sun.
    There's a part of me that kinda wanted City to score, despite myself. Maybe it was Joe Hart giving me an English vibe. But Chelsea? My biggest non-Charlton cheers are reserved for watching them lose. Regarding them as a British team seems like a stretch to me. Maybe one might argue the fans are British, so then you need to consider, are those the people you really want to root for? Chelsea fans?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

There's a part of me that kinda wanted City to score, despite myself. Maybe it was Joe Hart giving me an English vibe. But Chelsea? My biggest non-Charlton cheers are reserved for watching them lose. Regarding them as a British team seems like a stretch to me. Maybe one might argue the fans are British, so then you need to consider, are those the people you really want to root for? Chelsea fans?
    Yes mate, more than PSG fans or PSG.

Now, if it was a Madrid Chelsea Semi and the possibility there maybe a El Classico Final I would want Madrid to win for the spectacle of the final.