Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Indian restaurants around Biggin Hill?

Looking for a top notch Indian Restaurant to take my mother-in-law to for her 80th when we pop back in April. We were looking to go "up west" somewhere, but my father-in-law said that Mum would prefer to stay local, so there's no need to suggest Cinnamon Club or somewhere in Brick Lane please.

Have considered Shampan at The Spinning Wheel, so anyone who has experienced that, I would appreciate your comments - I have looked on Trip Advisor and generally comments seem pretty good, but I am sensible enough to know that sometimes the reviews are to be taken with a pinch of salt ( too much salt according to one review...).

But any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance gang...

Comments

• Options
    Shampan in falconwood is the excellent so I'd imagine the westerham one is too.
  • Options
    Can vouch for shampan S4 westerham food was excellent
  • Options
    http://www.tamasha.co.uk/

Bromley but good if a bit pricy
  • Options
    Not even a question... Shampan 4 in Westerham is the nuts.
  • Options

Thanks Henners - that was the one I was trying to remember the name of, had some wonderful dinners (on the company...) there in the distant past.

Thanks to you other guys for the advice on Shampan too.

If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to let me know.
  • Options
    another vote for Tamasha. If only for the after dinner coffee.
  • Options

and the artwork in the toilets : - )
  • Options

and the artwork in the toilets : - )
    I forgot about that. too rude!

• Options
    Inaga in Coney Hall is one of the best Inndian's I've ever had
  • Options
    Ask Peanuts.

There is a place in Westerham we went to called the Gurka or something. Was good as I remember.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    A few pints in Chirpy's pub then decamp to the Star of India.

You'll enjoy it. Mother in law I couldn't possibly comment!
  • Options
    Shampan is excellent... price wise top end of the market. As an alternative you could try the Gurkha Kitchen in Oxted not far away. Food has always been excellent and really good value. Have been to both many times never had a bad meal
  • Options
    edited March 2015

Food was excellent when I went a few years back but found it a bit pretentious and the staff extremely stuck up. Might have got them on a bad night though.
  • Options

Ask Peanuts.

There is a place in Westerham we went to called the Gurka or something. Was good as I remember.

The Gurkha Kitchen in Oxted ? If so it was good, but a few years ago.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Ask Peanuts.

That's the one
  • Options

Ask Peanuts.

Place we went to in Westerham has closed but The Gurkha Kitchen in Oxted is FANTASTIC. Different to an Indian so depends on what's wanted.
  • Options
    Hex said:

Ask Peanuts.

Spot on Hex. Near the station. Still good.
  • Options
    Pretty much the same recommendations as everyone else...

Shampan 4 in Westerham is great if it's a small group. Anything bigger than 6 people in one serving and it can be hit and miss. Travel a bit further towards Oxted and you have the Gurkha Kitchen. Obviously not Indian, but it's cut above anything around the area and 10 minutes away by car / taxi from Westerham.

Avoid the Tulsi... food has gone down hill over the last 18 months. The Kinara has closed down recently which was a shame, but it could't compete with Shampan 4.

If you want to go towards Bromley, Tamasha is very good.

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    If you can get to Petts Wood and you want up market Indian with a difference try Indian Essence. Chef has a Michelin star http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/indianessencecouk great food and atmosphere.
  • Options
    Thanks all. I am confused about the Gurka Kitchen though as I asked for Indian, and a few have recommended it, and then have said "it's not an Indian"? Is it or isn't it? If not, what do they serve please?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    +1 for Indian Essence at Petts Wood. Been 3 times now and the food was fab.
  • Options
    http://www.gurkhakitchen.co.uk/index.html

Here you go Algarve. Nepalese food similiar to Indian but not quite as hot and spicy in my experience - very good though.
  • Options
    Thanks - that looks rather nice!
  • Options
    @suzisausage what was our curry on like Friday? Last clear memory was patting the Sri Lankan cab driver on the head and telling that that was a fair price dear boy (which was less than what he was asking for). All got a bit hazy after that!
  • Options
    This thread is making me hungry! Wife made a lovely home made lamb curry yesterday which I wolfed down before football, but keen to take in one of the Shampam's or Indian Essence sometime.

Is Indian Essence the one that does the tasting menu ?
  • Options

@suzisausage what was our curry on like Friday? Last clear memory was patting the Sri Lankan cab driver on the head and telling that that was a fair price dear boy (which was less than what he was asking for). All got a bit hazy after that!

Well @AFKABartram, as you asked.....

It was lovely. You cleared up! Tucked into Dec's lamb dish and the extra bhajis and naan.

Can't believe I went for a vodka and you and Dec both had cokes! Pair of pansies.

The cabbie provided a tour of plumstead and welling which he included in his fare request of £16, which you bartered down to the bargain amount of £15 !! (I gave a tenner so you or Dec, or both of you, had a result there!)

When we left, you walked in the same direction as us whilst commenting that you were aware that you lived in the opposite direction and styled it out by turning off and doubling back on yourself!
  • Options
    Ha, all sounds about right!

Payback commenced about 4hrs later....
  • Options
    When you finally made it home via Kings for chips?
  • Options
    Dec just said he gave a fiver for the cab! We prob paid £25 to the driver or something stupid like that!
  • Options
    Ha, and there is me thinking we done a number on him and we turned out his best fare of the week!

Anyway, Biggin Hill. Carry on...