Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 2015

2»

Comments

• Options

Was loads of cars not meeting the 107% rule and not being able to finish that much better really? 80s are always looked upon as the golden era but the McLaren's were just as dominant as Red Bull/Mercedes. For me the golden period I remember is 07 & 08 where it was a straight fight between two great cars but tonnes of unpredictable races and stand out overtakes. I have watched full races back and it seems to be the characters at the time of Senna/Prost/Mansell that made it interesting rather than the actual racing.

Not so much 88/89 (thats when McLaren were dominant).

The golden era was 86/87 IMO. You had multiple teams and drivers going for race wins:

- Mansell and Piquet in the Williams (87 British GP was an utter classic)
    - Prost and Rosberg in the McLaren
    - Senna in the Lotus
    - Berger in the Benetton BMW
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Was loads of cars not meeting the 107% rule and not being able to finish that much better really? 80s are always looked upon as the golden era but the McLaren's were just as dominant as Red Bull/Mercedes. For me the golden period I remember is 07 & 08 where it was a straight fight between two great cars but tonnes of unpredictable races and stand out overtakes. I have watched full races back and it seems to be the characters at the time of Senna/Prost/Mansell that made it interesting rather than the actual racing.

Not so much 88/89 (thats when McLaren were dominant).

The golden era was 86/87 IMO. You had multiple teams and drivers going for race wins:

- Mansell and Piquet in the Williams (87 British GP was an utter classic)
    - Prost and Rosberg in the McLaren
    - Senna in the Lotus
    - Berger in the Benetton BMW
    76 - Hunt and Lauda was the best season in F1.
    In fact it was great for motorsport with Barry Sheene winning the 500cc World Championship the same year for second time. Sheene and Hunt both proper racers, not the racers with personality bypasses that are in the sport now.