Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Horsham

Moving again. Sigh. Been Oop North for a few months, work now want me to move back to the main office in London. Bit of a nightmare really, I was nice and settled up here, but I don't really want to leave and have to find another job, so looking to come back daahn saahf

Reigate was lovely, but it's a little out of my price range (looking for a three bed house). Thinking of Horsham - cycled round that way quite a bit and always thought it was reasonably nice - and is within commuting distance on my road bike, so seems as good a place as any. Anyone have any advice/opinions about it? I know we've got at least one poster on here from round that way...

Cheers, in advance

Comments

• Options
    My sister in law lived in Pease Pottage, which was on the outskirts of Horsham.
    It seemed really nice where she lived.
  • Options
    The only things I know about Horsham is that there was press coverage about the issues with a revised Gatwick flight path trial that has now been suspended until the end of the year. You might want to give it a swerve until that's sorted...unless you like plane spotting? https://horsham.gov.uk/latest-news/news/october-2014/horsham-district-council-welcomes-gatwick-flight-path-news
  • Options

Moving again. Sigh. Been Oop North for a few months, work now want me to move back to the main office in London. Bit of a nightmare really, I was nice and settled up here, but I don't really want to leave and have to find another job, so looking to come back daahn saahf

Reigate was lovely, but it's a little out of my price range (looking for a three bed house). Thinking of Horsham - cycled round that way quite a bit and always thought it was reasonably nice - and is within commuting distance on my road bike, so seems as good a place as any. Anyone have any advice/opinions about it? I know we've got at least one poster on here from round that way...

Cheers, in advance

Hi Leroy

I lived in Horsham for 4 years whilst saving for a deposit.

It's a nice little town with some good parts, avoid the needles estate and roffey and you'll enjoy your time there.

There's plenty of road running to be had and a very decently sized park which has a mile long loop around it.

It's a great town that is never too rammed. It has some good farmer markets and lots of food festivals in the Carfax.

I wouldn't knock moving back there when it comes to a time when I have kids.

It's good for young families, ancients, middle age singletons (there's tons of 40-60 year old singletons there) and commuters who don't mind an hour on the train to London.

Happy hunting.
    Darrel
  • Options
    I have a friend who moved there in 1994. He loves it there, he has recently moved but only to another part of the town. His wife works in Canary Wharf, he works in Slough. Much better than Crawley which is close by ( his opinion not mine)
  • Options
    Think there are a couple of housing developments set to go before planners in the next few months so be careful. As these wouldn't have been approved yet I'm not sure if they would come up on local searches. This doesn't apply to just Horsham but most areas in the south east have planning applications pending as due to current planning regs it is open season for developers.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Nice place Horsham. Looking to move further afield in the not to distant future and that's an area on the list. thanks to the wife its a very wide radius that's making the exact area to pinpoint Impossible at the moment. But around the forest road area of Horsham is certainly an area of interest. We actually were very close to putting an offer in on one of the new builds in the Oaks (off forest road, when the were built in 2011.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Cheers for the info folks. Not looking to buy, just rent for a while, so not too fussed about long term prospects re: housing developments etc. Also, I could sleep through a tactical nuclear strike so the flight path thing doesn't worry me.

Great info on avoiding Roffey and the estate mentioned - that kind of stuff is gold dust when moving to an area you're not familiar with, and helps you avoid the estate agent bollocks.
  • Options
    My fav golf course is there.
  • Options
    I have lived in Horsham for 30 years now and I still like it - not that cool a place for teenagers though. A new Waitrose and John Lewis Home store opening soon.

Excellent selection of restaurants in East Street - spoilt for choice and they are even fairly busy on Monday nights.

You probably know the Downs Link is close by for your cycle paths.

Valley Express pick-up from Peasepottage.

Loads of places to explore on the South Downs and obviously Brighton/Climping/Littlehampton are good for the seaside.

If you need any specific info, pm me and I will try to help.

p.s. I'm thinking of letting in the near future too!
  • Options
    I did the best part of my growing up in a village not too far from Horsham. Plaistow in Billingshurst. Not too far from a train station that goes straight to London either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bit close to Crawley for my liking
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Bit close to Crawley for my liking

Oi!
  • Options

Mannings Heath?

• Options
    Sussex play one county match there each season and one or two one dayers if you like decent cricket at a nice ground.
  • Options
    Leroy. Myself and the wife were down that way at the weekend visiting Sumners Ponds in the van.

Thought it looked nice and would be excellent for cycling, Box Hill on your doorstep :0)
  • Options
    Have just moved from Horsham after living there pretty much my entire life.

I love the place.
  • Options

Mannings Heath?

Yep. Great course and I have been fortunate to play a few times there including winning a competition for the first and only time.
  • Options

Mannings Heath?

Yep. Great course and I have been fortunate to play a few times there including winning a competition for the first and only time.
    I was a member at Mannings for 15 years but moved to Copthorne as I got fed up with all the societies and hotel guests.

The Cardax in Horsham is or tidally pedestrianised with lots of tables and umbrellas outside of cafés and East Street is restaurant land.

A very des res with good schools and lots of great outdoor space too.

Highly recommended.
  • Options
    JonnyK said:

Mannings Heath?

I was a member at Mannings for 15 years but moved to Copthorne as I got fed up with all the societies and hotel guests.

The Cardax in Horsham is or tidally pedestrianised with lots of tables and umbrellas outside of cafés and East Street is restaurant land.

A very des res with good schools and lots of great outdoor space too.

Highly recommended.
    Oops. Sorry!
  • Options
    Nothing personal m8