Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer 2015

As we are out of the World Cup and with the Test squad for the tour to the West Indies due to be announced late today, I thought it would be good to start a fresh thread for a fresh start.

Rumours are that Trott is set for a recall. Can't wait for the prospect of Trott and Cook batting together again. Who needs Amla and ABV?

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Would like to see Taylor in the squad. Think he could be a top notch middle order batsman over the coming years.

Something like Cook, Root, Trott, Bell, Taylor, Ali, Buttler, Stokes +3 is something I can get excited about.
  • Surely Trott is finished as an international cricketer? If it's not a health issue then it looks like a bottle issue. Either way England should move on.
  • If Trott is in form, and more importantly if he is fully fit then I see no reason to have him in the side - especially as we have no natural opening partner for Cook.
  • If Trott is in form, and more importantly if he is fully fit then I see no reason to have him in the side - especially as we have no natural opening partner for Cook.

I think you need to amend that. I would like to see a few more attacking players in the squad Ballance, Trott, Cook are all run accumulators. Australia have shown us the way to go with Warner etc. I would find a place for Vince, I would not pick Trott as we need to look to the future.

• dickplumb said:

If Trott is in form, and more importantly if he is fully fit then I see no reason to have him in the side - especially as we have no natural opening partner for Cook.

I think you need to amend that. I would like to see a few more attacking players in the squad Ballance, Trott, Cook are all run accumulators. Australia have shown us the way to go with Warner etc. I would find a place for Vince, I would not pick Trott as we need to look to the future.

Are you being serious? This is English cricket we are talking about. The ECB would sooner dig up WG Grace then open with an attacking player. Ha ha. I was going to mention that I would like to give Hales a chance up top, it's not going to happen though.

Being an Hampshire fan I would love to see Vince involved. Think he will get his chance in ODI cricket first though.
  • Ballance is averaging 60.75 in tests... You can't drop the fella based on that. He isn't a ODI player - simple as. But test matches he is made for.

Who opens with Cook though ? Probably will continue with Robson although he's yet to convince me!
  • Lees would be my pick to open with Cook. My team would be Cook, Lees, Ballance, Bell, Root, Moeen Ali, Butler, Jordan, Broad, Wood, Anderson
  • Would like to see Taylor in the squad. Think he could be a top notch middle order batsman over the coming years.

Something like Cook, Root, Trott, Bell, Taylor, Ali, Buttler, Stokes +3 is something I can get excited about.

No Balance?!
  • The bowling might be an issue too, with W Indies pitches being pretty flat these days, will Jimmy and Broad be much of a threat out there, after their very poor World Cups?
  • Cook
    Anderson
    Bairstow
    Ballance
    Bell
    Broad
    Buttler
    Jordan
    Lyth
    Plunkett
    Root
    Rashid
    Stokes
    Tredwell
    Trott
    Wood

Just the six Yorkshire cricketers then!
  • Sponsored links:

• In fact only Cook, Tredwell and Jordan play for a county south of the midlands with only Jordan of those under 30 - a reflection of the home counties production line?
  • CHGCHG
    edited March 2015
    Lyth to open then, Trott won't be going to make up the numbers, Ballance maybe moved in the order to accommodate him. Rashid and Tredders selection really highlights our threadbare spin bowling options.
  • CHG said:

Lyth to open then, Trott won't be going to make up the numbers, Ballance maybe moved in the order to accommodate him. Rashid and Tredders selection really highlights our threadbare spin bowling options.

I don't think Tredders is a Test quality bowler, I'm not sure he's even Kent's first choice in the 4 day game!
  • CHG said:

I don't think Tredders is a Test quality bowler, I'm not sure he's even Kent's first choice in the 4 day game!
    Agreed. Adam Riley bowled incredibly well in what was his first full season and with Matt Coles potentially strengthening the Kent tail at 8 we probably no longer need Treders to hold up one end batting in that spot.
  • I guess Ali will fill the void when fit in the summer.
  • CHG said:

I guess Ali will fill the void when fit in the summer.

Indeed but, hopefully, we will have a selection problem by then with the likes of Cook, Lyth, Trott, Bell, Root and Ballance all getting runs before then.
  • Full England squad: Alastair Cook (capt, Essex), Adam Lyth (Yorkshire), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), Gary Ballance, Joe Root (both Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Jos Buttler (wk, Lancashire), Jonathan Bairstow (wk), Adil Rashid, Liam Plunkett (all Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Mark Wood (Durham), James Tredwell (Kent)
  • Harsh on James Taylor, think he deserves another shot at Test cricket.

Batting line-up isn't the real issue though, our bowling looks very light at the moment.
  • Pleased Wood and Lyth got in. As said above, spin options aren't great. Also agree that Taylor deserves another go.
  • Maybe lyth and wood will play today? I think for England to stand a chance we could do with winning the toss. New Zealand have been serious contenders recently. Be interesting to see how those returning from the IPL fare
  • Sponsored links:

• Lyth will definitely start. I would also put Wood in place of Jordan.
  • dickplumb said:

Lyth will definitely start. I would also put Wood in place of Jordan.

Me too, though I like Jordan. Depends on how adventurous England are feeling. Strauss will probably pick himself to open
  • wot a bunch of numpties, useless.

I don't know why they don't drop everyone from the current side bar root and anderson and start with a completely new team, can't do any worse surely?
  • After Trott got a whole series I don't think Lythe should be denied another chance.

Oh hang on, he will get another chance in the second innings...