Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Home wireless CCTV

We're looking to get CCTV installed at home for security. Have been looking at some of the kits in Maplins but looking for some recommendations. Has anyone done this and can point me in the right direction. Ta in advance.

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2015
    A good mate was looking into providing this last year. He's a bit of a Linux boffin, developed a system on a cheap laptop platform which to be honest, lots of entry level "out of a box" solutions you pick up in B&Q won't necessarily do. He picked up these tiny, tiny cameras you could bury anywhere. Then decided, "does your average Joe want to do, archiving, live editing, streaming to your smart phone anywhere in the world" etc, and sort of lost interest. I think he's mad as the way things are going I reckon, in the not too distant future you won't get affordable house/contents insurance unless you have a CCTV system in your home.
  • Options
    If you want CCTV you should do it properly and incorporate Redcare or similar into it. Increases cost but added peace of mind. Anything from Maplin is going to inferior quality

All depends how remote your house is and how secure it is - im pretty secluded and have a 4m wide patio door which is an obvious risk so I want to make sure I have good cameras and sensors galore in that area. I am expecting to pay around £1,200 and that's not a particularly spangly system.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    What's Redcare?

Perhaps there should be a £5 victim surcharge on each hoodie sold? The proceeds could be used to subsidise insurance premia or to replace insurance tax.
  • Options
    Redcare is linked to the BT network and ensures a central call centre is made aware if your alarm goes off and they will contact you or designated people. It also prevents the alarm failing if the intruders cut your phone line as it's a standalone GSM signal
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Redcare is linked to the BT network and ensures a central call centre is made aware if your alarm goes off and they will contact you or designated people. It also prevents the alarm failing if the intruders cut your phone line as it's a standalone GSM signal

Thanks.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Blimey, wasnt really looking for anything quite as sophisticated as that. Just need some wireless cameras linking to a hard-drive sort of system. We've got a good house alarm system, just want some extra peace of mind, more as a deterrent from prying neighbours when we're not in.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Swisdom said:

Blimey, wasnt really looking for anything quite as sophisticated as that. Just need some wireless cameras linking to a hard-drive sort of system. We've got a good house alarm system, just want some extra peace of mind, more as a deterrent from prying neighbours when we're not in.
    I have a GET system purchased via Amazon with indoor and outdoor cameras linked to recording box.
    I believe it is a deterrent.
    Though the dog probably helps.
  • Options

Best to invest heavily so when the police don't bother to turn up you have really clear images of the offenders they wont be arresting because they are too under-resourced. Incidentally, you will have have violated the human rights of your intruders by not asking them to sign a consent form in triplicate before they burgled you.

Might as well buy a model plane kit an try and dive bomb them as they break in for all the good it will do you.
  • Options
    Ensure you get web access cameras so you can watch your place being burgled whilst on holiday.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    We have a system from Maplins but upgraded the cameras, we can view the house or mainly the dogs in their kennels with an app on the phone and if the motion detector triggers we and designated friends get calls/texts. Basic kits with 4 cameras was about 200/300 but I think it's stands me for about 12/1400 quid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2015
    @JohnBoyUK

why the suspicion with neighbours
  • Options
    Would echo Swisdom's comments about Maplin. Everything in Maplin's looks to be an absolute bargain until about 20 minutes after you've got it home.
  • Options

Best to invest heavily so when the police don't bother to turn up you have really clear images of the offenders they wont be arresting because they are too under-resourced. Incidentally, you will have have violated the human rights of your intruders by not asking them to sign a consent form in triplicate before they burgled you.

Might as well buy a model plane kit an try and dive bomb them as they break in for all the good it will do you.

Don't be Grumpy
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

We have a system from Maplins but upgraded the cameras, we can view the house or mainly the dogs in their kennels with an app on the phone and if the motion detector triggers we and designated friends get calls/texts. Basic kits with 4 cameras was about 200/300 but I think it's stands me for about 12/1400 quid.

Just been reminded, the hard drive was upgraded when we moved home and it's hard wired. So it nothing like what you asked about. ;)
  • Options
    PL54 said:

@JohnBoyUK

He's a gooner.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I bought the Swann set from Maplin a few years ago. Sadly it interfered with by broadband router. Or more accurately didn't work when the router was on. I ended up with two sets, four cameras and the 'base station' had a setting for four cameras. From memory I only has an issue with two of the cameras so if you only need two then one set should be fine.

However, please note that I bought this set close to ten years ago so they may well (in fact, almost certainly have) changed since then.

Ok, just checked online and they don't seem to sell what I had any longer so, please, completely ignore my post.

:smile:
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Does the app have a "release the hounds" function?
  • Options
    edited March 2015

I bought the Swann set from Maplin a few years ago. Sadly it interfered with by broadband router. Or more accurately didn't work when the router was on. I ended up with two sets, four cameras and the 'base station' had a setting for four cameras. From memory I only has an issue with two of the cameras so if you only need two then one set should be fine.

However, please note that I bought this set close to ten years ago so they may well (in fact, almost certainly have) changed since then.

Ok, just checked online and they don't seem to sell what I had any longer so, please, completely ignore my post.

:smile:

Forget the Swann get yourself some Geese:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure about cameras but would highly recommend Synology for the system/storage. Diskstations available at reasonable prices, can be used for all sort of stuff other than your CCTV, and the Surveillance Station software is really straightforward. Synology customer support is good too. You have to purchase per camera licenses is the only downside, which might be a cost you wouldn't get with a full out of the box kit.
  • Options
    I hate to be dense but won't they just walk off with the hard drive recorder too?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

I hate to be dense but won't they just walk off with the hard drive recorder too?

You have to find it first, it's not on show.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Huskaris said:

Ah yeah fair enough. I bet most people don't hide it too well though.
  • Options
    Hard drive should be anchored to the wall in a locked cupboard somewhere secure. The bottom line is if it's an opportunist then a standard alarm should deter them but If you have serious valuables or its s professional then they'll get in and take what they want either way.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

T.C.E said:

Huskaris said:

Ah yeah fair enough. I bet most people don't hide it too well though.
    Psst, it's under their bed. ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    PL54 said:

@JohnBoyUK

Without sharing too much on a message board, the neighbours have keys to the house and back garden in case of emergencies and the odd job they might do for us, like taking in parcels etc but the Mrs is absolutely convinced they've been coming into the house and garden uninvited. There's been a couple of incidences lately where our suspicions have been raised and we want to get some evidence.

The Mrs said that she can pull of a report from our alarm system to see what alarm key fobs have been activating/deactivating the alarm so she's going to do that today to at least try and put her mind to rest.

Seriously, its like living next to Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping Up The Appearances and its getting too much!
  • Options

Not sure about cameras but would highly recommend Synology for the system/storage. Diskstations available at reasonable prices, can be used for all sort of stuff other than your CCTV, and the Surveillance Station software is really straightforward. Synology customer support is good too. You have to purchase per camera licenses is the only downside, which might be a cost you wouldn't get with a full out of the box kit.

I've got a Synology NAS. It rocks :)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I've got a Synology NAS. It rocks :)
    Perfect, then you should already have Surveillance Station and 2 free camera licenses...
    Pick a couple of supported wireless cameras (e.g. Axis M1004-W), make sure your NAS is somewhere secure, get a larger disk if necessary, and have at it.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    JohnBoyUK said:

PL54 said:

@JohnBoyUK

Without sharing too much on a message board, the neighbours have keys to the house and back garden in case of emergencies and the odd job they might do for us, like taking in parcels etc but the Mrs is absolutely convinced they've been coming into the house and garden uninvited. There's been a couple of incidences lately where our suspicions have been raised and we want to get some evidence.

The Mrs said that she can pull of a report from our alarm system to see what alarm key fobs have been activating/deactivating the alarm so she's going to do that today to at least try and put her mind to rest.

Seriously, its like living next to Hyacinth Bucket from Keeping Up The Appearances and its getting too much!
    Why not just take the keys off them and rely on what most people do parcels are left with neighbours that a bit of paper tells you or taken to sorting office for collection. Saves extra expense or worry on installing a security system, or is that to simple. Don't rely on anyone and you can't be let down, failing that confront them with your fears and smash their face in