Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electronic drum kits

What's the best electronic drum kit to buy?

I am going to invest in a drum kit and, thanks to the fact I do not have access to Studio 2 at Abbey Road, it needs to be an electronic kit. (Well, at least to ensure I stay on speaking terms with neighbours). So, does anyone have any advice or suggestions as to what kits are good, bad or different?

Comments

• Options
    I Have an idm02 electonic kit with a 24- bit stereo drum machine with trigger inputs, you can add headphones if you want, the pads are good quality and the drum machine has plenty of options which will enable you to practice different styles.

Have a look around and you should be able to pick up something kit wise at a reasonable price.
  • Options
    Mines a alesis dm10x, love it
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Thanks for this suggestion. I looked this kit up on YouTube. If you have a look at this review, be prepared for a shock at 8:34!
  • Options
    Chizz said:

T.C.E said:

Thanks for this suggestion. I looked this kit up on YouTube. If you have a look at this review, be prepared for a shock at 8:34!
    I never worry too much about others comments and prefer to judge for myself. Learning to play the drums was on my bucket list, I couldn't justify the cost of 3/4k for Roland or Yamaha kits and spoke to my tutor about this kit and it suited my needs, top end of the range so you don't need to upgrade unless you want to start playing in a band and around 1k with a few extra bits. ;)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Chizz said:

T.C.E said:

I never worry too much about others comments and prefer to judge for myself. Learning to play the drums was on my bucket list, I couldn't justify the cost of 3/4k for Roland or Yamaha kits and spoke to my tutor about this kit and it suited my needs, top end of the range so you don't need to upgrade unless you want to start playing in a band and around 1k with a few extra bits. ;)
    Thank you for that - very useful advice. I think that kit will probably suit me really well. But I still can't get over the shock and horror of what I saw at 8:34 on that guy's video! Random!
  • Options
    What happens at 8.34?!

Does the kit become self-aware and batter the drummer round the head with the symbols?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

T.C.E said:

Chizz said:

T.C.E said:

Thank you for that - very useful advice. I think that kit will probably suit me really well. But I still can't get over the shock and horror of what I saw at 8:34 on that guy's video! Random!
    Do you have link, I'm intrigued? ;)
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Chizz said:

T.C.E said:

Chizz said:

T.C.E said:

You won't thank me - it's shocking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1bWM205wqA
  • Options
    How the f@*k did he end up on there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

How the f@*k did he end up on there

I will admit, it scared the sh!t out of me the first time I saw it!
  • Options
    Jesus, no one wants or needs to see that.
  • Options
    Lol, I had seen that somewhere before. My tutor told me I had be a bit more forceful when using the kick pedal, I found that picture very helpful ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Now, some may remember that I'm a drummer and in terms of electronic kits it has to be Jobeky, which are built like acoustic kits and feel as close to an acoustic kit as any electronic kit ever. They also do real-feel cymbals and hi-hat cymbals. I did have a Roland but found I could do fast doubles on the Roland rubber bass drum that I could never reproduce on an acoustic kit. Now I practise on the Jobeky kit, there are no such problems, and I play on acoustic kits regularly, having been rehearsing with a soul band and a kind of funky jazz band with a great horn section. I'm also going to be jamming with a band that does James Brown and related funk tunes.

This is the kit I've got:

• Options
    hawksmoor said:

Now, some may remember that I'm a drummer and in terms of electronic kits it has to be Jobeky, which are built like acoustic kits and feel as close to an acoustic kit as any electronic kit ever. They also do real-feel cymbals and hi-hat cymbals. I did have a Roland but found I could do fast doubles on the Roland rubber bass drum that I could never reproduce on an acoustic kit. Now I practise on the Jobeky kit, there are no such problems, and I play on acoustic kits regularly, having been rehearsing with a soul band and a kind of funky jazz band with a great horn section. I'm also going to be jamming with a band that does James Brown and related funk tunes.

This is the kit I've got:

Awesome!
  • Options
    How much do decent entry level kits cost? Any good links to good retailers would be appreciated. I've been thinking of getting one for a while.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It might be an idea to look for a second-hand Roland. I wouldn't go for one of the cheaper 'starter' kits myself. Jobeky do a Gretch electronic kit for £599, which is a bloody good price and looks stunning, but then you have to factor in a module and hardware. But second-hand Roland modules are all over ebay and hardware can be bought cheap enough.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

It might be an idea to look for a second-hand Roland. I wouldn't go for one of the cheaper 'starter' kits myself. Jobeky do a Gretch electronic kit for £599, which is a bloody good price and looks stunning, but then you have to factor in a module and hardware. But second-hand Roland modules are all over ebay and hardware can be bought cheap enough.

Think Charlton currently have one going. Multiple previous ownerships though.
  • Options
    Has the market moved on in the last 18 months? What's currently the best buy in terms of non-acoustic drum kits?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hmmmmmm. Definitely considering these. I've always been a serial air drummer / tapper without ever sitting behind a kit.

Haven't got room for the real thing.

• Options
    That is brilliant. I'm not a drummer, (always wanted to learn though), and I'm tempted to back their kick-starter just for the brilliance of innovation.
  • Options
    I just sold my alesis dmx10 electronic kit two weeks ago because there weren't enough hours in the day. Now I want it back.......... :(
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Definitely this kit!
  • Options
    uie2 said:

T.C.E said:

Definitely this kit!
    That's it, I want it back and now. ;)
  • Options
    Chizz said:

T.C.E said:

Chizz said:

T.C.E said:

Chizz said:

T.C.E said:

You won't thank me - it's shocking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1bWM205wqA
    8.26 and 8.32 - the nightmare scenario.