Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Experience of laying a lawn

2»

Comments

• Options

Go for astroturf instead. Can use it all year round then.

You allowed that in League 1?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

If it's a quick fix you want then use turf - if it's a quality lawn you want to end up with use seed. It's a good time of the year to be sowing a lawn as well.

Totally agree. If you just want instant grass then turf, but A decent seed will give you a much more supirior lawn if you can wait a couple of months for it to come through..........
  • Options
    Lurker said:

Boom said:

Lurker said:

I've already shifted more bags of stones than I can move

How does that work?
    I used a spade.
    lucky not to be flagged
  • Options
    The best Turf comes from down this way,Romney Marsh,look out for the sheep shit though.Ive turfed a couple of gardens over the years.Worked in a posh place in Tunbridge Wells once where they had a massive lawn re-turfed every year,just so it looked good
  • Options
    What Daggs and Mendonca said. Top advice.

I did my back lawn about seven years ago after building an extension. I got brilliant turf on recommendation from a place on Birchwood Road between Dartford and Swanley. Can't for the life of me remember the name but its the same entrance off Birchwood road as the pick your own fruit place just opposite Birchwood park golf club.

The lawn was great for a few years till I bought a dog. Now it's knackered. Dog's great though.
  • Options

Go for astroturf instead. Can use it all year round then.

Ah, but you can't smoke it.
  • Options
    Get however did the pitch at The Valley last season to help.
  • Options
    Take the time to get rid of all the hardcore, rubble and any stone bigger than a grape before you think about seeding or laying anything. Take time to get all the base soil you are then left with level. Topsoil/sand p for plenty. And unless you can cover the whole area with a net to keep birds off then don't bother seeding. Buy decent quality turf.

Procure a scaffold board too to help you level the topsoil off then start laying turf. Don't overlap but Butt all the pieces up very tight because they will be prone to shrinking especially soon after laying. Again, get this as level as you can because if you don't the lawnmower will scalp sections and that is not fun.

Lastly water it, water it and water it again. Grass needs moisture to flourish as well as sunshine
  • Options
    I've laid a lot of things, but not a lawn.