Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ashley Cole

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tbh I'm not really a Cole fan, great player, but that is it for me.

But far too often these days we moan about players sitting out contracts to pick up a retirement wage. You have to take your hat off to a man who goes well out his comfort zone to try something new. I think as a learning curve Serie A has surprised him, he hasn't had near enough as much game time as you would think, but he doesn't moan and is not a thorn in the side of the club.

Coles game in his peak was all about atheleticism and that is not always going to be the same level into your 30s. The tactical game in serie A should help him prolong his career for a few more years yet.
  • Options

I thought Lahm was a right back? or am i going mad?

German Chris Solly
  • Options
    Pearce for me, a giant of English football and from 88-92 was utterly immense in defence AND attack - post knee injury he was a lesser player.

The bloke also scored plenty of goals from open play as well as free kicks and penalties - 82 career goals for a full back is extraordinary.

For the record Pearce played in three major tournaments and England reached the semi-finals in two of them - that is further than Cole ever got in an England shirt.

His redemption penalty against Spain still sends tingles down my spine, for me he is in a class of his own and one of the best players I saw - he used to regularly tear us apart in the Lennie years.
  • Options
    Neither were a patch on Justin Edinburgh ;)
  • Options
    Pearce for goals wins outright it's no contest, I am a huge Pearce fan in was there for every England game in 96 his pen is in my top five football moments ever, but Cole Imo was the best
  • Options
    Christ there is some hyperbole in here. Cole was a very good player but let's not go overboard.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I can't remember Cole ever being dominated for England. He kept Ronaldo quiet more than once.
  • Options
    Leroy, where's your modern era starting? Lizerazu, Maldini and Carlos were ok.
  • Options
    I'd say Cole is above Lizarazu, Carlos was nowhere near as good a defender - didn't need to be, playing for Real and Brazil (but better going forward) and, for me, Maldini is from the 'previous' era
  • Options
    Anyone who could keep my SCP out of left back for England had to be one of the greatest of all time