Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

50 years of the Boroughs we currently live in

Yes, it is 50 years today since the map of London was redrawn.

Borough's were merged and others became parts of Greater London, Bexley and Bromley for example.

Greenwich and Woolwich were merged and the new Borough was nearly called Charlton.

And we might have stuck with this badge

Interesting how much of what is now considered London was in the home counties

Comments

• Options

Anyone know why there are two pockets of London separated from the rest of London by bits of Essex and the Thames?
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Anyone know why there are two pockets of London separated from the rest of London by bits of Essex and the Thames?

It's North Woolwich. As of 1965 it's now part of the Borough of Newham but from 1900-1965 it was part of the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich. It was granted to Hamo, a crony of William the Conqueror, who was granted land on both sides of the Thames at this spot, probably to enable him to enjoy the taxes from cross-river traffic and thus stayed part of London until the boroughs expanded Eastward.
  • Options
    I remember it well. My uncle played football for Woolwich Borough and they changed their name to Greenwich Borough. It wasn't regarded as a step up, reputation wise, at the time. Greenwich had the park, the tunnel, the cutty sark etc but was otherwise a bit of a dump. Woolwich was nicer then than now.
  • Options
    They also had the Greenwich Obsevatory, and Greenwich mean time which was the biggest draw to the name, yeah Davo i was a member at sutton park and remember Woolwich Borough FC bloody good days.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

It's North Woolwich. As of 1965 it's now part of the Borough of Newham but from 1900-1965 it was part of the Metropolitan Borough of Woolwich. It was granted to Hamo, a crony of William the Conqueror, who was granted land on both sides of the Thames at this spot, probably to enable him to enjoy the taxes from cross-river traffic and thus stayed part of London until the boroughs expanded Eastward.
    This is interesting .. I always just assumed that East Ham and West Ham were just taken from the old anglo -saxon 'Ham' meaning farm or homestead and in later old English, village
  • Options
    Sorry sutcliffe park whoops
  • Options
    So that's why my dad thinks he's from Kent.
  • Options

Yes, it is 50 years today since the map of London was redrawn.

Borough's were merged and others became parts of Greater London, Bexley and Bromley for example.

Greenwich and Woolwich were merged and the new Borough was nearly called Charlton.

And we might have stuck with this badge

Interesting how much of what is now considered London was in the home counties

That's the first motto I've seen for Charlton. Does anyone know what it means, how long it was used and why it fell into disuse.
  • Options
    It means "We use time" and was the motto of the old boro of Greenwich.

The badge and Motto were both the borough's rather that the clubs.

The adopted it very briefly in the 1960s but then the boroughs changed so they looked for a new badge and nickname.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Only ever known The Robins, The Valiants, and the addicks, but then Ive only followed em since 1954 ..
  • Options
    Well the first badge I remember was the CAFC going at an angle they did have a sword sticking up was that before or afterthe cafc thingy
  • Options
    Is this still the case after lunch?
  • Options

Is this still the case after lunch?

was posted after midday on purpose