Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Have you ever seen a red card rescinded during a match?

Absolutely shocking

I am currently watching an Argentine match between Velez Sarsfield and Arsenal de Sarandi. In the 57th minute, Velez crosses into the box and the referee calls for a hand ball on the Arsenal player battling with the Velez striker, therefore he awards a penalty. The player called for the handball received his second yellow and was promptly sent off. As the Arsenal players pleaded with the referee that the call was incorrect, the TV replay came on. There was indeed a handball, but by the Velez striker, which was blatant on the replay. So after 3 minutes or so of pleading from the Arsenal players, the ref puts the ball on the spot and it seems as though the penalty would be taken. Still receiving argument, the referee picks the ball back up and begins arguing again with the Arsenal players. Meanwhile, the assistant referee and a coach from Arsenal begin discussing the incident and the assistant relays the info to the head referee. All of a sudden, the assistant coach begins motioning to the player who was sent off to come back on the pitch, the red card had basically been rescinded. The ref with help from his assistants change the call and instead give the Velez striker a yellow card, and Arsenal the free kick. This was followed by the entire Velez team and 2 of their coaches chasing around the referee and his assistant, screaming at them for changing the call (the correct call), eventually the players and referee had to be separated by police. The amount of fans giving the ref the wanker sign was quite enjoyable. After a 10 minute delay, The red carded player came back on, and the game resumed with a free kick. (The Arsenal player who had the card rescinded was then given another second yellow in the 90th minute and sent off a second time) Strangest thing I have ever seen

Comments

• Options
    Nope,

Seen a penalty given then the player who wad fouled said he was not fouled and ref changed his mind

Also seen last week the ref sent the wrong player off but was told his mistake and changed who he gave the red too
  • Options
    I've seen a goal rescinded before! Scunthorpe wasn't it?
  • Options
    No, but I've seen a pigeon land on the pitch
  • Options
    I remember a game in Scotland years ago where someone was sent off as a case of mistaken identity. He was on his way when the real culprit decided to own up and he was recalled. Can't remember who the teams were. Sorry.
  • Options

Nope,

Seen a penalty given then the player who wad fouled said he was not fouled and ref changed his mind

Also seen last week the ref sent the wrong player off but was told his mistake and changed who he gave the red too

Didn't Robbie Fowler have a similar instance against Arsenal once? said he wasn't fouled but referee still gave it, think Seaman saved it but some one got the rebound.
  • Options
    What happened to us one game? Was that a sending off or is that the goal suggested above? He changed his mind 3 Times on that decision! Whatever it was...
  • Options

What happened to us one game? Was that a sending off or is that the goal suggested above? He changed his mind 3 Times on that decision! Whatever it was...

BWP's goal against Colchester in Powell's first season I think
  • Options
    edited April 2015

BWP's goal against Colchester in Powell's first season I think
    Definitely Colchester come to think about it.

And I am 99% sure it was a goal scored against us rather than for us from memory? And if memory serves well it was given, disallowed, given and then finally disallowed.

Edit: Found the source.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9377147.stm
  • Options
    Powell's 2nd game in charge wasn't it? He dragged the 4th official onto the pitch and got him to explain to the ref that he can't let play carry on and allow a goal after blowing his whistle to stop play
  • Options
    rina said:

Powell's 2nd game in charge wasn't it? He dragged the 4th official onto the pitch and got him to explain to the ref that he can't let play carry on and allow a goal after blowing his whistle to stop play

Yeah this. Highly entertaining. The ref had blown for an offside then gave the goal. Amusingly, it wasn't even offside.