Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dental work - any experience of bridges vs veneers?

Came off my bike yesterday at 30mph. Broken wrist, fractured jaw, torn calf muscle but more painfully (and I'm sure more expensively!) I smashed my top front teeth to bits (bicuspid broken off at the gum, both front teeth cracked into an ugly V shape.

Can't get to dentist until tomorrow morning, but already thinking of how they're going to fix it and think I'll either have a bridge or veneers and implant. Has anyone else had similar treatment? If so, how much did it cost, and how much of a ballache was it? Also - I swallowed the broken tooth, so I've no chance they can take a mould of it - is that going to create a massive amount of extra hassle?

Cheers folks

Comments

• Options
    Can't offer any dental advice but sorry to hear you had an accident and wish you a speedy recovery, best of luck x
  • Options
    Ouch! Sorry, I'm no help either but I hope you recovery from your injuries as quickly and painlessly as possible.
  • Options
    Ouch! So sorry to hear. I was offered a bridge between two back teeth which was going to cost about £3,000, two years ago. I decided to not go ahead with it, partly from cost and partly because bridges put a strain on the teeth either side because they file them down.
    My nephew had an implant and I think that was a similar price but it looks good (it is his front tooth).
    Good luck but I think it will be costly.
  • Options
    Jesus wept. Expensive old crash!
  • Options
    No advice but so sorry to hear what happened ...
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your accident leroy. Can't offer you any dental advice.

Maybe wait until the tooth passes and have a look for it (:
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your accident. A friend of mine damaged her teeth (and just about everything else) crashing a fast jet while training in the RAF. She went for the veneer option and had nothing but pain and aggravation afterwards. They take off enamel and there's no going back from that.
    I looked at an implant but chickened out when the dentist said I'd have to have a bone graft first!
  • Options
    All in plants need a bone graft, they just put the socket in the jaw with some bone in basically like a powder form, that then helps your own jaw bone grow on the socket and anchor the socket firmly. That is so you don,t have a wobbly tooth. Had one three years it's absolutely perfect. However, even then was £2800 for one tooth.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that - sounds a bit gruesome.

I've got a bridge and an implant in the front and they've both been absolutely fine. I had the bridge done in 1987 (at an NHS dentist, thankfully) and although I was told it would only last 15-20 years, it's still going strong 28 years later. I understand that the technology of implants has advanced a lot in recent years, although they are pricey. I had mine done four or five years ago and can't remember now how much it was (I think I probably try and subconsciously erase dentists' fees from the memory). I think implants are usually regarded as a better option than bridges if only one tooth needs replacing because otherwise the two teeth either side need to be filed down to accommodate the bridge. Where, however, two teeth have gone, maybe a bridge is feasible, although I guess they'll be able to advise once they've done x-rays etc.

Anyway, good luck with it.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about such a nasty and painful accident. I do hope it gets better sooner rather than later.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry to hear that! I know a few people who have gone abroad for implants. Thailand, Hungary... More like £1000 per tooth. Got to travel more than once though
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your accident. All these forms of Dental treatment have their drawbacks, hopefully your dentist will give you the full story about the pros and cons of each option
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Ouch! So sorry to hear. I was offered a bridge between two back teeth which was going to cost about £3,000, two years ago. I decided to not go ahead with it, partly from cost and partly because bridges put a strain on the teeth either side because they file them down.
    My nephew had an implant and I think that was a similar price but it looks good (it is his front tooth).
    Good luck but I think it will be costly.

Jesus wept. Expensive old crash!

Don't worry! Bridges DO NOT cost that much, he must be talking about implants.

Taken from the NHS website "Bridges are available on the NHS (band 3) and cost up to £222.50."

Also I have prior knowledge of this as I have three missing teeth due to genetics and got briges less than a month ago. My treatment started when I was under 18 so got them free - there's no way they'd give me £9000 for free! That's more than implants cost (which I'm not being offered for free) which are essentially bridges but look better and last permanently whilst bridges can come out after a number of years.

Still pretty pricey but definetly not £3000!