Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jack Grealish

2»

Comments

• Options
    Surely there can only ever be 11 world class players at any one time.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Surely there can only ever be 11 world class players at any one time.

I'm not sure I agree, the best right back in the world might be a much worse player than the third best striker.

If I had to have a stab at a definition is say that a world class player is one who is able to compete, on a regular basis, with the best players in the world. Using that definition I reckon there's about 20/25 "world class players" at any one time but of course it's entirely subjective because there's no definition of it other than Jack Grealish isn't it!
  • Options
    One step at a time !
    Jack Grealish has to prove he's good enough to get in the England squad first.
    Theo Walcott has shown he's England class when fit.
    As Theo is still trying to be a regular at Arsenal, the World class question is Redundant.
  • Options
    A world class player is a player that would walk into any team in the world and be first choice in his position.
  • Options

A world class player is a player that would walk into any team in the world and be first choice in his position.

What if it's a team who only play one up front .... Messi and Ronaldo can't both get in ?
  • Options

What about GK, can there only be one world class?
  • Options
    Fergie started this whole World Class debate, it becomes tricky when you look at defenders. Gary Neville wasn't world class, but I'm struggling to think of too many better RBs over the last 20 years, who can defend and attack.
  • Options
    How is he regularly allowed to play with his socks rolled down ? Isn't there something in the rules about that ?
  • Options
    Boysie said:

How is he regularly allowed to play with his socks rolled down ? Isn't there something in the rules about that ?

as long as you are wearing shin pads and they are covered you can wear them however you like
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The 'world class' debate is tedious as there is simply no answer to it. And does it really matter? Its about whether a player can do a job for a team in the style that they play.

Simon Francis is not a Premier League class player, but what he offers Bournemouth as a whole helped them to get to the Premier League as a club.
  • Options

Fergie started this whole World Class debate, it becomes tricky when you look at defenders. Gary Neville wasn't world class, but I'm struggling to think of too many better RBs over the last 20 years, who can defend and attack.

erm Dean Austin. Ha. What about Stephen Carr? Double Ha. Oh hang on, you said CAN defend and attack, didnt you?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

erm Dean Austin. Ha. What about Stephen Carr? Double Ha. Oh hang on, you said CAN defend and attack, didnt you?
    Actually, is there one? Lahm maybe? Neville G was up there. Cafu?
  • Options
    Emotive subject and I guess there is no right answer, especially with the world becoming an increasingly smaller and multicultural place. For me though, Qualifying through a gandparent is a load of shite. A parent fair enough but you've for to draw a line. Even more ridiculous is playing rugby for a country that you've resided in for a short period.

I was born and raised in Scotland. Moved to England when I was 21. Married an English girl. Been here nearly 30 years. My kids are English. I'm Scottish. That's about the size of it.

All of that said, hypothetically, if England came calling for me to play golf or bowls or some such for them, what would I do? The banter answer is "I'd rather bite my own dick etc" but the reality is I've lived well over half my live here and if I hadnt liked it I'd have fucked off by now. So I'd accept with pride. But someone who is in the first third of their life playing for a country that their grannie might have visited on holiday is just silly IMHO. I was excited when Matt Ritchie got picked for Scotland. Then he was interviewed and revealed that he's never actually been there!!! And much as I enjoyed the Japanese Beating the Sprngboks, there were a number ofI names In their back row that didn't sound terribly Japanese to me. It's a farce.
  • Options

What if it's a team who only play one up front .... Messi and Ronaldo can't both get in ?
    Addicted said:

What about GK, can there only be one world class?
    Fair points....

I suppose you would change your formation to accommodate messi and Ronaldo should you be lucky enough to have them both.

The goalkeeper argument is a funny one. I think we need to remember that there are more than one world class team about and they can be shared about a bit.

IMO Cech is world class and so is Courtois. I believe Cech is better than Courtois at the moment but if I was manager I would keep Courtois as he is a lot younger.

As Cech has moved on to arsenal it would indicate to me that not only do world class players walk into any team, they also do no settle for being on the bench. (I'm not sure what winger was up to least night though ;-))