Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton and the Gallipoli campaign on the BBC

2»

Comments

• Options
    SE7toSG3 said:

It's a tenuous link but 'Red Red Robin'

Robin = Chick = Chick the Charlton player killed in World War 1?
  • Options

Bill Cotton Snr saw action at Gallipoli. Mentioned by Clive during his talk at Charlton House a few weeks back. One of at least a dozen memorable facts from that afternoon but the highlight, for me, was being allowed during the break to look through the oldest surviving Board Minutes book and the entry about the Directors passing a motion not to have any dealings with Millwall Athletic. After watching the beamback, I wished we'd stuck to our guns on that one and not reversed the motion, on legal advice, a few weeks later as is also recorded.

The other army theme was that Clive insists our real, original rivals are the Royal Army Ordnance Corps who we played a number of times in our formative years and his idea for a game between us and their modern equivalent.

We wouldn't be the first set of fans to do it when their main rivals (and those who think it's Palace are plain wrong) are in a lower division but I'm all for adding to their pain by announcing that, once Rotherham have sealed their fate, we are officially ending our rivalry with the spanners due to them becoming an irrelevance and replacing them with RAOC.

Mind you, if it's true that the trouble, on and off the pitch, during our games against them made a modern day trip to the The New Den look like a pre-season friendly against Welling then maybe not!

Correct that the connection is Billy Cotton. He was at Gallipoli and we still listen to his recording of the Red, Red Robin every home game.

• Options
    Very good talk by Clive at the museum last night on the early years of Charlton. Bryon Butler was the name I couldn't remember.

Clive is speaking on the Gallipoli campaign at Petts Wood British Legion on Thursday night

The Helles Landing by Clive Harris
    Starting on 30 April 2015 19:30 Save to calendar
    At Royal British Legion (Orpington)
    Posted by colinwagstaff
    colin_wag@hotmail.com
    Categories: Kent (North-West)
    Tags: Gallipoli , Helles Landing
  • Options
    You know nothing Dan Snow.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if you can visit Gallipoli via Kos, am holidaying there in August
  • Options
    Seeing as they are about 350 miles apart, I would suggest that swimming is out of the question.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Seeing as they are about 350 miles apart, I would suggest that swimming is out of the question.

Ha ha love it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I was thinking a boat, seems like a long way tho