Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nepal Earthquake, the Nepalese Community in RB Greenwich, and CAFC

The expatriate Nepalese community in our borough is one of the largest in the UK, a fact not unconnected with the Gurkhas to whom an immeasurable debt of gratitude is owed. Undoubtedly this latest natural disaster is bringing great sadness and quite likely family grief to those who now reside among us.

As a prominent organisation locally is there anything our special club can, or should, do, possibly represented by CACT, to reach across to this stricken community in our midst. At the very least to offer deepest sympathies would be a worthy gesture, and to propose, during the rebuilding phase, a project within a sporting context might be much appreciated.

Just a thought.

Comments

• Collection outside the ground next week?
    A few folks with buckets would raise a few grand i should think.
    Over to you Alan.
  • Great idea. I know a few people working out there, said it was devastated. I sent a few quid to UNICEF, but any extra help would be amazing
  • I Have a cousin in Nepal and am getting worried for her safety, Just been another aftershock. The last i heard she was okay and had been given Food and water but that was yesterday evening.

Out in the open and not in a proper shelter, pretty dire situation.

Will take a lot to rebuild the Nepalese community.
  • Www.charltonsamaj.co.uk
  • Www.charltonsamaj.co.uk

Thanks for that, Mick - very interesting link. A CAFC connection already - the Nepali youth group meets at The Valley every Sunday morning. And a topical issue - at Gallipoli the Gurkha detachment served with great distinction.

Just spoken to my favourite check-out lady at Sainsbury's Woolwich - her family in Katmandu are all accounted for and uninjured, but there is utter devastation everywhere. Many high-rise buildings have folded in on themselves and collapsed - no attempt at rescue or recovery has been tried yet, and the final toll will be immense. As mentioned above, shelter is a major problem for the survivors - there is a lot of rain but while the aftershocks continue entry into buildings is forbidden.

Communications are difficult. Unsurprisingly the internet is very erratic. The telephone service is still functioning but is heavily overloaded. Desperate times - my friend has not slept since the disaster occurred. This resourceful nation will need every ounce of their indomitable spirit to recover.