Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Holidays in Bali

Booked it for a surprise birthday present for my good lady, anyone been there?
Looking for places to visit/things to do while there, staying in the Grand Mirage, Tanjung Benoa for ten nights.

Comments

• Options
    enjoy it pal well deserved at your time of life 8)
  • Options
    Lovely place, we went there as part of our honeymoon. If you can, try and do a night in lombok. It's an island about a 20 minute flight away.
  • Options
    Ubud is a good day trip and, as @DaveMehmet says, a trip to Lombok is worthwhile.
  • Options
    Don't know Tanjung Benoa particularly. We stayed in Seminyak not too far away.

Not sure what your scene is but if you want a livelier night out, go to Kuta Beach. If not, there will be loads of places to eat which are cheap as you like.

Can go on a boat trip to lembongan island which was okay.

Excursion to Ubud?

To be honest, we just spent most the time on the beach, or to be more specific, the beach bars!
  • Options
    Terrific place, lots of great day trips, agree with those above - visit Ubud
  • Options
    Cheers all, reading up it now.... There seems to be a few do's and dont's to get used to, but Lombok seems to be the place to go and see.
  • Options
    T.C.E do you play golf? If you do I would recommend playing in Bali - some fantastic courses.
  • Options

T.C.E do you play golf? If you do I would recommend playing in Bali - some fantastic courses.

I do (sort of) but it's the wife's birthday so if pissed off to play I'll be having a 3 wood surgically removed. Unless I can convince her to join me on a walk around a course. ;)

• Options
    It was long time ago (1999), but my wife and I hated the place (we stayed in Sanur). Poor weather, local money-changers always trying to rip you off, and everyone trying to sell you something you didn't want and not taking no for an answer. On the plus side, there were lots of things to do (cultural, and scenic), and the food was very good. If it has improved, I think you'll have a great time!
  • Options
    Got back from Bali last friday. Amazing island with loads to do, Potato Head is a brilliant place to eat and see the sun set. Sea Circus is another good one aswell of the top of my head. The volcano Batur next to Danau Batur lake has amazing views, we didnt have the clearest of days and quite a long drive but worth seeing. Monkey Forest in ubud is a good visit along with a rice paddy close by. Tanah Lot Temple is a good one to see aswell, very busy with tourists but worth it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have a Boys' Weekend there in a week and a bit (Kuta/Legian area). Think it'll be a slightly different trip than yours, T.C.E., but if I do happen to stumble across anything that may be of interest to you I'll post it on this thread. Doubtful though!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    We have been 3 times it's a lovely island, well worth hiring a car/jeep for a day or 2 to see the more remote areas ie Kintamani and volcanos, if you don't fancy that then Ubud is fairly easy to get to and the area around there is well worth a look (rice fields etc). It's a long flight from London...took us over 30 hours (included a 6 hour delay in Jakarta and stops in Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Paris)...hope your not flying with Garuda). That was our first visit (1992) went again in 08 and 09 a short 2 hour flight from Singapore where we were living at the time.
  • Options

We have been 3 times it's a lovely island, well worth hiring a car/jeep for a day or 2 to see the more remote areas ie Kintamani and volcanos, if you don't fancy that then Ubud is fairly easy to get to and the area around there is well worth a look (rice fields etc). It's a long flight from London...took us over 30 hours (included a 6 hour delay in Jakarta and stops in Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Paris)...hope your not flying with Garuda). That was our first visit (1992) went again in 08 and 09 a short 2 hour flight from Singapore where we were living at the time.

Haven't flown with them myself but apparently Garuda are a much improved airline these days.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Haven't flown with them myself but apparently Garuda are a much improved airline these days.
    I've heard the same...it wasn't that long ago when they were actually banned from flying to anywhere in the EEC (2007).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garuda_Indonesia#1990s:_Difficult_time_for_Garuda
  • Options
    Garuda are very much better, they have a number of new planes and their biz class is very nice. I use to fly to Jakarta and Bali fairly regularly from Singapore.
  • Options
    Garuda has been the only airline, ever, where the stewardess asked me how long I'd like my boiled eggs cooked for.
  • Options
    Thanks again, lots to do by the sound of things. Is it possible to hire a local driver to show us the sights? On the flights, I believe we are flying Emirates which is my preference but I'm not 100%.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Thanks again, lots to do by the sound of things. Is it possible to hire a local driver to show us the sights? On the flights, I believe we are flying Emirates which is my preference but I'm not 100%.

Ask at the hotel, they will provide or recommend a driver