Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gregory Mertens

Seen a couple of tweets from our lads tonight

wondered what had happened and found this
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/573365/Belgian-footballer-Gregory-Mertens-artificial-coma-collapsing-during-match

24 years old

good luck to him, hope he manages to pull through
my thoughts go out to his family right now

Comments

• Options
    Really puts the sport into perspective
  • Options
    This type of medical incident, although not a regular occurrence, is becoming more common in football and sport in general. Are young people over stressing and over training their bodies at an early age ? .. do drugs and/or legal muscle and stamina building aids play a part ?
  • Options
    He has Sadly died today. RIP
  • Options
    Very sad
  • Options
    So sad, saw this on Igor's Instagram - RIP
  • Options
    Very sad. RIP.
  • Options
    Read on BBC, very sad. R.I.P.
  • Options
    Terrible news RIP young man.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Poor bloke... Sport is the one activity that you should never lose your life doing... RIP
  • Options
    Awful

RIP young man.
  • Options
    RIP
    It's very sad news, I imagine many of our squad would have played against him

Despite the massive increase in medical technology used in the game, such incidents do seem to be becoming more common. Maybe it's because modern players have to exert themselves more than the previous generation.
  • Options
    I read about this last night as my old Sunday team, Hayden, are doing a benefit night in honour of a young lad who died playing football. Raising awareness for Cardiac Arrests in the Young or something similar.

Really sad that he didn't pull through
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I read about this last night as my old Sunday team, Hayden, are doing a benefit night in honour of a young lad who died playing football. Raising awareness for Cardiac Arrests in the Young or something similar.

Really sad that he didn't pull through

@Swisdom was it Cardiac Risk in the Young?

Sorry if this looks like I am jumping on a tragic news event in order to publicise something, but now that Swisdom has brought up this charity (I assume this is the one you mean), it would be great if people could take a look and think about any ways in which they could either support the work of CRY; or learn about some of the ways of avoiding or mitigating risk.

http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/
  • Options
    RIP

CRY do great work.

Friends lost their teenage son 4 years ago and they have raised a lot of money for CRY.

They pay for DRs to go into schools and do health checks.

Not sure it is new thing sadly.

The player at York Dave Longhurst died during a game a few decades ago and in the 30s a ref died during a reserve game at the Valley.
  • Options
    Very sad, RIP.
  • Options
    So tragic , RIP young man
  • Options
    RIP terrible .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Gregory Mertens was signed for Cercie Brugge by Bob Peeters who had worked with him at Gent. Then this season he was at Lokeren.

Despite all the tests, some problems still evade all the modern medical science.
    Very sad for his Family, friends and team mates.