Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

General things that confuse you

Comments

• Options
    Game of Thrones
  • Options
    Whataboutery

It's so weak logically that I don't understand how often it's brought into debates.
  • Options
    People who spend their entire evening's and weekends watching TV. What a waste of precious time.
  • Options

Why there is not 3 consecutive o's in zoology.

Why there is an apostrophe in o's...and the use of is not instead of are not....and people who correct others' grammar including me! Great point about zoology though.
  • Options
    At want point in life do middle-aged Babs Windsor wannabes decide that it is socially acceptable to call perfect strangers things like 'Love' and 'Hun' and 'Dahlin'? Then, when they've decided to do this, how many times do they have to use these words on unsuspectiung unknowns before their own inner-talk stops telling them that it sounds utterly chuffing ridiculous?
  • Options
    Stig said:

At want point in life do middle-aged Babs Windsor wannabes decide that it is socially acceptable to call perfect strangers things like 'Love' and 'Hun' and 'Dahlin'? Then, when they've decided to do this, how many times do they have to use these words on unsuspectiung unknowns before their own inner-talk stops telling them that it sounds utterly chuffing ridiculous?

If they get their baps out when camping, who cares?
  • Options
    Stig said:

next time one of them says hello/alright love/hun/dahlin' just reply "yes sugar tits"
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

People who wear boring t-shirts advertising places they've never been and have little idea about. LA? Brooklyn? They're both 'holes for the most part. And this fad has made my Rio shirt redundant (my favourite city).

Ever been to Jaywick Sands?
    Been there, done that - not worn the T Shirt.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2012/jul/01/jaywick-sands-most-deprived-uk
  • Options
    purdis said:

RedPanda said:

People who wear boring t-shirts advertising places they've never been and have little idea about. LA? Brooklyn? They're both 'holes for the most part. And this fad has made my Rio shirt redundant (my favourite city).

http://www.theguardian.com/society/shortcuts/2012/jul/01/jaywick-sands-most-deprived-uk
    When I was a nipper in the 50's/60's we had some great family holidays in and around Clacton, and visited Jaywick, St. Oyths Priory and Brightlingsea.
    Happy memories but what on earth has happened to that area?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why, even though I do 99.9% of the driving, my Mrs gets sole use of the only cup holder in my van
  • Options
    brogib said:

Why, even though I do 99.9% of the driving, my Mrs gets sole use of the only cup holder in my van

Furry?
  • Options

brogib said:

Furry?
    Plastic with a bit of rubber
  • Options
    edited May 2015

purdis said:

RedPanda said:

When I was a nipper in the 50's/60's we had some great family holidays in and around Clacton, and visited Jaywick, St. Oyths Priory and Brightlingsea.
    Good question.
    It's a lovely part of the world but even St Osyth has been overrun with Gary & Waynetta stickers adorning the windscreens of souped up Fiestas with 9" diameter exhausts.

St Osyth is a pretty village so God knows how the locals must feel about the seasonal surge of Gary's (apologies to any decent Gary's out there).

West Mersea is still very nice with the best seafood restaurant we've ever visited - The Company Shed - take your own bread and wine and they supply the freshest Oysters and local delicacies imaginable.

We live quite near to Manningtree and went there last night to the excellent Indian restaurant, "The Mogul" but before that went for a nice sunny evening walk along the River Stour at Wrabness (nr Harwich) where we discovered this oddity - apparently a newly built holiday home overlooking the Stour and Felixstowe, designed and built by popular artist Grayson Perry (so popular, ignoramus here had never heard of him so the Mrs had to enlighten me).

• Options
    There was a TV ( pun intended ) programme about "Julie" - the Grayson Perry house - on C4 a week or so ago. Not seen it yet, but will endeavour to do so tomorrow. As well as being a great artist, he makes very good tele too.
  • Options
    Cheers for the heads up Algarve. I do like a bit of Grayson Perry. Got this on the planner now.

For anyone with an interest in art who hasn't heard his Reith Lectures, I can recommend this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03969vt
  • Options

There was a TV ( pun intended ) programme about "Julie" - the Grayson Perry house - on C4 a week or so ago. Not seen it yet, but will endeavour to do so tomorrow. As well as being a great artist, he makes very good tele too.

It's a quite outstanding property and we genuinely hadn't heard about it.
    We could see the internal ceilings fom outside and they also are part of the story.
  • Options

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grayson-perrys-dream-house/videos/all/grayson-perrys-tour-of-a-house-for-essex-directors-cut
  • Options
    purdis said:

purdis said:

RedPanda said:

Good question.
    It's a lovely part of the world but even St Osyth has been overrun with Gary & Waynetta stickers adorning the windscreens of souped up Fiestas with 9" diameter exhausts.

St Osyth is a pretty village so God knows how the locals must feel about the seasonal surge of Gary's (apologies to any decent Gary's out there).

West Mersea is still very nice with the best seafood restaurant we've ever visited - The Company Shed - take your own bread and wine and they supply the freshest Oysters and local delicacies imaginable.

We live quite near to Manningtree and went there last night to the excellent Indian restaurant, "The Mogul" but before that went for a nice sunny evening walk along the River Stour at Wrabness (nr Harwich) where we discovered this oddity - apparently a newly built holiday home overlooking the Stour and Felixstowe, designed and built by popular artist Grayson Perry (so popular, ignoramus here had never heard of him so the Mrs had to enlighten me).

That Grayson Perry building looks like one of those follies the rich used to have built on their estates.
    Amazing!

Sad to hear about St. Osyth - have some great memories of that place.
    I also remember Clacton itself with affection from those days.

The last family holiday we had there (1964?) we took a trip on the branch line from Thorpe-le-Soken to Brightlingsea - one of the most beautiful short stretches of railway I've been on, and still pulled by a steam loco at the time.
    I believe Beeching closed it down in 1966.

I love the sound of that seafood restaurant, although I can't see myself getting up that way anytime soon.

• Options

It was very good
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Charlton fans who sing Valley Floyd Road and then clap themselves. Weird.

How did that come about? It does seem a bit odd but its been that way for ages.
    No idea, it's always been like that, as far as I can remember.
    Think it started the Prem years
  • Options
    I'm 201 posts behind on this thread so apologies is someone is a twat.

Why trains from somewhere like Dartfrd into that there London finish at silly I clock on a bank holiday
  • Options

I'm 201 posts behind on this thread so apologies is someone is a twat.

Why trains from somewhere like Dartfrd into that there London finish at silly I clock on a bank holiday

Yep that's confused the fuck out of me
  • Options
    Under the influence!
  • Options

Why there is not 3 consecutive o's in zoology.

It's because the suffix is "logy" rather than "ology", so a third o would make no sense. Its actually meant to be pronounced "zo-ology"...

...anyway, the thing that confuses me is why is meant to be pronounced "zo-ology"?? Why not "zoo-lodgey"?

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Sitting in the East Stand many years ago for a pre-season friendly, we had acres of empty seats around us. We were spread out. A bag here, a foot resting there. Luxury. So inevitably. a family of six sat in the row in front of us and made us move our lounging feet.

"You know what that's called, son?" my dad asked, shaking his head in disgust. "The human herding instinct."

Ever since, I've been acutely aware of the phenomenon. I notice it on trains, at stations, when people are parking their cars. I hate to witness it at the cinema (I openly ask people what goes thrrough their heads, but they're usually just shocked I said anything).

It's especially noticeable in the Donyngs Recreation Centre changing rooms - there might be 200 free lockers, but I guarantee the next person in chooses the one next to mine.

I'm aware of it, but I'll never understand it. I kinda wish dad hadn't pointed it out, I'd probably be far less irritated in general.

I also see this when shopping but in particular in supermarkets. When I go shopping I know what I want every time I go but there always seems to be someone who doesn't know what they want yet end up looking at the same thing I just looked at / picked up even if we were the only people in the aisle. Surely you know what you came into the shop to get not what other people pick up? The above explanation made me think of this. Spot on.
  • Options
    It drives me Nutts, I Park the car in an area with loads of spaces so I can get the kids out safely, get the buggy out of the car without having a tight space, before I have even got the buggy out someone reverses up to rear of My car, there must be 20 spaces to pick yet they Park in the nearest space to me, even though I could be getting the buggy out and standing at the rear, when I come back to the car there's cars all around mine, even though there's loads spaces surrounding it bstds hearding bstds
  • Options
    It happens all the time on trains. For some reason people choose the carriage which already has the most passengers.

And then they complain that the train is crowded and there are not enough seats even though most of the carriages are half empty.
  • Options

It happens all the time on trains. For some reason people choose the carriage which already has the most passengers.

And then they complain that the train is crowded and there are not enough seats even though most of the carriages are half empty.

Don't people just sit in the carriage that's nearest the exit at the station they will get out at? If some stations are busier than others that would explain why some parts of the train are too.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Which is a more of a hole than the other two *for the most part* the only difference is it's tropical setting and audaciously attractive women in their early 20's.