Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Revamping the Europa League

2»

Comments

• Options

Where the Europa League matters ....

So looking forward to this, in an hour or so I will be heading down the motorway on this sunny but freezing day to Plzen, where the whole town is gearing up for a big Euro night. They hold the advantage over Partizan Belgrade after a 1-1, and since then -at least IMO - effectively won the league on Sunday by drawing away at Sigma, their nearest challenger. Their lead is 14 points with 13 games to go.

If Partizan were playing at Arsenal , the Emirates would struggle to sell half the seats, but Viktoria sold out by Monday. In a league where some away teams bring less fans here than players, this is the big time, the glamour, where Europe comes to a small proud city nestling in the Bohemian countryside with no competition until you reach Prague. The money from this round of the Europa league can ensure they will compete for players in summer with the big boys from Prague and their dodgy owners. But most of all, a win will take them through to around where the big boys lie in wait. A chance for wide eyed kids to see players they normally see only on their laptops, right there in Plzen, like the kids in Rochdale in touching distance of Harry Kane. So don't tell me the Europa League doesn't matter. Tonight the place will rock, and if they win, the brewery will switch on emergency night shift. I am staying the night; this is football as it should be. An Event.

Just seen highlights. You never mentioned it....

Viktoria Palace
  • Options
    IA said:

Where the Europa League matters ....

So looking forward to this, in an hour or so I will be heading down the motorway on this sunny but freezing day to Plzen, where the whole town is gearing up for a big Euro night. They hold the advantage over Partizan Belgrade after a 1-1, and since then -at least IMO - effectively won the league on Sunday by drawing away at Sigma, their nearest challenger. Their lead is 14 points with 13 games to go.

If Partizan were playing at Arsenal , the Emirates would struggle to sell half the seats, but Viktoria sold out by Monday. In a league where some away teams bring less fans here than players, this is the big time, the glamour, where Europe comes to a small proud city nestling in the Bohemian countryside with no competition until you reach Prague. The money from this round of the Europa league can ensure they will compete for players in summer with the big boys from Prague and their dodgy owners. But most of all, a win will take them through to around where the big boys lie in wait. A chance for wide eyed kids to see players they normally see only on their laptops, right there in Plzen, like the kids in Rochdale in touching distance of Harry Kane. So don't tell me the Europa League doesn't matter. Tonight the place will rock, and if they win, the brewery will switch on emergency night shift. I am staying the night; this is football as it should be. An Event.

Just seen highlights. You never mentioned it....

Viktoria Palace
    I know, I know. It's why I can never wear their scarf or put a sticker on my car.
  • Options
    Arsenal really are a shower, that team last night wasn’t even bad and they couldn’t even beat a Swedish side who aren’t even playing regular football because outside of season
  • Options

Arsenal really are a shower, that team last night wasn’t even bad and they couldn’t even beat a Swedish side who aren’t even playing regular football because outside of season

Did you lose a bet Palars ;) shouldn't be losing but obviously didn't matter...