Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Academy 11

With the recent talk of Gomez going and the Arter thread I had the thought about how a first 11 of our academy players would stack up against other teams and surely there can't be many better? United, Arsenal, West Ham, Leeds? I can't think of many more off the top of my head. Of current players we could have:

Randolph/Elliot

Solly
Gomez
Jenkinson
Fox/Konchesky (No idea how good Paul is nowadays)

Parker/Poyet
Cousins
Arter
Shelvey

Harriott
Defoe

Have the likes of Kasey Palmer in a few years, Wagstaf, Wilson, Jamaal Campbell-Ryce as well (lolz jk)

Disclaimer: It is current players before someone brings up Rufus and I was referring to English clubs, Barcelona would probably beat us yes.

Comments

• Options
    Although Chelsea probably have a good team of players they never actually play.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Randolph
    Solly - Gomez - Rufus - Minto
    Bowyer - Parker - Cousins - Lee
    Leaburn - Defoe

Has to be the best Charlton Academy XI since we started Valley Gold?
  • Options
    Barness was another decent left back
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Randolph
    Solly - Gomez - Rufus - Minto
    Bowyer - Parker - Cousins - Lee
    Leaburn - Defoe

Has to be the best Charlton Academy XI since we started Valley Gold?

Would be difficult to leave the likes of Paul Elliott and Paul Walsh out - pre Valley Gold I know.
  • Options
    Randolph

Jenkinson - Rufus - Gomez - Minto

Parker - Cousins

Lee - Shelvey - Bowyer

Defoe
  • Options

Randolph

Jenkinson - Rufus - Gomez - Minto

Parker - Cousins

Lee - Shelvey - Bowyer

Defoe
    now that is an absolutely class side.
  • Options
    It is strange that our highly successful academy has not produced any striker worth his salt since Defoe.

Is it because, as strikers, they get half inched by the London Premiership sides?
  • Options

It is strange that our highly successful academy has not produced any striker worth his salt since Defoe.

Is it because, as strikers, they get half inched by the London Premiership sides?

And most of our midfielders are defensive minded... I think it's something in the Charlton psych.. Backs to the wall, safety first and all that!
  • Options
    I think we have produced strikers, they have just not been good enough. Srikers are gems and there is a dearth of them even playing at professional level, look at how few decent English strikers there are in the Prem and Championship. Its not a Charlton phenomenon.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I think we have produced strikers, they have just not been good enough. Srikers are gems and there is a dearth of them even playing at professional level, look at how few decent English strikers there are in the Prem and Championship. Its not a Charlton phenomenon.

I don't disagree. But in that (fine) team quoted, you could argue that Elliott should replace Randolph.

Defensively, there is a case that Solly could replace Jenkinson. Considering his later career, you could also say perhaps Turner over Gomez?

In midfield, either Parker, or more likely Cousins could be replaced by Poyet.

The 3 attacking midfielders look top notch, but if Harriott had pushed on from last season, would he not be worthy a place on the bench?

But up front, we struggle to even find a second striker. The only player that came through our academy, which I would consider for that side is Kevin Lisbie. And I was struggling to remember even that! Maybe it's my memory. Can anybody think of anyone else?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Kap10 said:

I don't disagree. But in that (fine) team quoted, you could argue that Elliott should replace Randolph.

Defensively, there is a case that Solly could replace Jenkinson. Considering his later career, you could also say perhaps Turner over Gomez?

The 3 attacking midfielders look top notch, but if Harriott had pushed on from last season, would he not be worthy a place on the bench?

But up front, we struggle to even find a second striker. The only player that came through our academy, which I would consider for that side is Kevin Lisbie. And I was struggling to remember even that! Maybe it's my memory. Can anybody think of anyone else?
    Pre Lisbie, Paul Walsh.
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Pre Lisbie, Paul Walsh.
    Great shout! Always considered Paul Walsh one of the most skilful players to come through our academy.

Another was Paul Williams? (Is that right?) Played for the England U21s, and was sold to Wednesday?
  • Options
    Think we got Williams from a non league club, Woodford Town?