Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

15 Players Released - confirmed list

Comments

• Options
    The club also looking to move bikey on aswell according to Rich Cawley
  • Options
    Good luck and thanks to them all for their efforts.

Hope the young lads in particular find other clubs and have decent careers.

No surprises but leaves us 20 outfield players of whom 4 are Reza, Polish Pete, Nego and Le Point so 16 outfield players and the kids.

Lots of work to be done. Let's hope the recruitment lessons have been leant. Oh yeah, Le Point, I forgot.

Very early days, season's not even over yet so no panic.

PS wouldn't be surprised to see Eagles and/or Johnson reappear.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    sam3110 said:

Lepoint, Parzyszek, Ghoochannnejhad, Bulot, Buyens and Harriott to also leave IMO, either loaned out, loan not renewed or sold for a nominal fee

And Bikey, maybe Wiggins.

Good luck to them all, Wilson and Church excellent triers and epitomised the Charlton way from the 70's, but not up to our aspirations for the next season, Eagles just did not click, partly because he did not play that much, but when he did, didn't take his chance overall, although he did score some important goals, Johnson I think was as much responsible for our turnaround as Watt, but faded at the end and fails RDs age criteria, TBH is a loss but I suspect it is a mutual thing and would not be surprised to see him at Fulham or QPR.

Real challenge for RD & Luzon to replace with better. Chris Parkes and others told to take their holidays early as they are going to be busy.
  • Options
    Quality of replacements will determine how good of a decision it was to let go of Johnson and Eagles. I'm not sure who's out there on a free but some money will need to be spent on getting a decent first team squad with depth, and we look very shallow particularly in defense and midfield at the moment.

Hopefully most will be completed in the next 2 months so the players can get a decent pre-season together, rather than last minute signings when the season is already underway.
  • Options
    When was Kieran Montlouis offered a Contract... I just thought he was on a very long trial?
  • Options
    I must admit I am surprised about Pyke. He is a decent player. But Aaron Barnes is an excellent right back. The rest of the Youth is what I heard a while ago. Pleased that Eagles wasn't kept on, he doesn't do enough.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    After the first four on that list none were ever likely to feature. Most filled by our next wave of youngsters and the top four do require replacement.

Edit: I should have said I wish them all well.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

think this summer might be a bit like the summer before we won promotion... Lots of players leaving that we'd have quite like to have kept, but im sure they'll be replaced by some quality like that summer.

I hope this is true.

•Tal Ben Haim - Cause of a few mistakes. Looked better with a better keeper but won't be forgiven for his performances in front of Pope, Etheridge and Dmitrovic.
    •Simon Church - Good time to say good bye. Think he will do well in League 1.
    •Chris Eagles - Another that IMO should be in league 1.
    •Roger Johnson - Thought he looked quite good, but as with Ben Haim, we can do better.
    •Lawrie Wilson - Saddened by this one but honestly think we can get a better option.

•Oguchi Onyewu - Yeah...know not what to say here.
    •Neil Etheridge - decent not great
    •Jack Munns - Shame, his only flaw appears to be his height? in this day and age can we not learn to play the ball along the floor?
    •Harry Osborne - Yeah...know nothing here.
    •Harry Gerard -Yeah...know nothing here.
    •Kadell Daniel - Yeah...know nothing here.
    •Kurtis Cumberbatch - Thought he was meat to be good? Yeah...know nothing here.
    •Kieran Monlouis Yeah...know nothing here.
    •Rhys Browne Yeah...know nothing here.
    •Levander Pyke Yeah...know nothing here.

• Options
    Happy with that. It was obvious that Church, Ben Haim, Johnson and Wilson were gone, because it had already been said. The only question mark was Eagles and imo he wasn't quite good enough, especially when he should have been trying his hardest to win another contract.

If that was his best effort, then I don't think it was enough.

Yes, he was ok, but I'm hoping for better.

Best wishes to all of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ayo Obileye not on the list so maybe offered a new contract as his current deal expires shortly.
  • Options
    The list seems fair enough. Shame for Lawrie but hope he is free to get a good deal, if TBH is disinterested then fair enough. Cumberbatch was only ever a one season punt after his release from Watford.
    I hope all the players get a decent next move but it all represents a de-clutter for us, and what is especially hopeful is that spaces are created for the next generation of young players who are a good group in my view.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I wonder if Church might pop up down at The New Den ? Didn't he nearly go in January ?
  • Options
    Sound decisions all round. Older players came in to help but only Diarra remains. Seven senior players with an average age of 28+ all depart. Standard fayre for RD as the average age of our squad drops yet another year.

Last summer KM suggested they approached 25 players and landed 10 (or 12?) She was very clear it was a tough sell until Buyens, Gudmundsson and Vetokele arrived in June.

This time we have the makings of a real challenger as long as M.Duchatelet doesn't baulk at fees and contracts requested.

Ideally Liege and FAPL loans assist in completing the squad as these will be less tricky than the open market.
  • Options

I wonder if Church might pop up down at The New Den ? Didn't he nearly go in January ?

wasn't there a wages issue?

• Options
    Shame to see Ben Haim leave. Good luck to him in the future.

I think it's hard to judge Johnson as he had a very good game against Brentford after joining but got that rib injury in the game that saw him have to play through extreme pain. His first chance to prove himself after being left in the wilderness at Wolves and suddenly he's got to do it with an injury like that. Must be frustrating for the bloke.
  • Options

wasn't there a wages issue?

Quality issue.... Church was too good.
  • Options
    Monlouis obviously never impressed in his couple of months

Would have kept eagles
  • Options
    Eagles may of been one good header away from being offered a new contract.
    (how did he miss) never quite managed to impose himself on the team.

Johnson was a good interim signing who did better than most of us thought considering he had a year on Gardening Leave(or on the Piss)
    ROJO has left his mark with the Youngsters who all swear like Troopers now.
    Have Respect for the feller after he played on with cracked ribs.

Lawrie Wilson's dip in Form was a strange one.
    In His last few games his confidence was spent ?
    Think he missed CP's Man management.( Lawrie loved the craic with Hughes, Ben, JJ and Morro. And struggled when he became a squad player.

Simon Church was not a championship standard player. May scores goals lower down the leagues.

TBH wants to move on.

The youngsters released all had their moments but not enough to be given a chance at champ level. (Like Scott Parker's Brother-in-law, prove CAFC wrong )
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    So the players contracted as follows. Have I left anyone out?

Pope, Henderson, Dmitrovic, Mitov, Phillips
    Solly, Nego,Gomez, Bikey, Wiggins, Holmes- Dennis, Fox, Lennon, Obileye, Thomas,
    Gudmundsson, Diarra, Cousins, Jackson, Harriott, Moussa, Le Point, Muldoon
    Pigott, Reza, Polish Pete, Watt, Vetokele, Ahearne- Grant

Youth that have been signed on pro forms,
    Bone, Lapslie, Kelly, Hanlan, Umerah, Charles- Cook, Aaron Barnes, Archie Edwards.

New Full time Scholars,
    Aiden Prall - Goalkeeper,
    Ashley Maynard- Brewer- Goalkeeper,
    Kenneth Yao- Centre Half,
    Romarno Simpson- Defender,
    Mustapha Bangurs- Williams- Defender
    Taylor Maloney- Central Midfield.
    Sulaiman Bah- Forward
    Terrique Anderson- Forward.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

So the players contracted as follows. Have I left anyone out?

Pope, Henderson, Dmitrovic, Mitov, Phillips
    Solly, Nego,Gomez, Bikey, Wiggins, Holmes- Dennis, Fox, Lennon, Obileye, Thomas,
    Gudmundsson, Diarra, Cousins, Jackson, Harriott, Moussa, Le Point, Muldoon
    Pigott, Reza, Polish Pete, Watt, Vetokele, Ahearne- Grant

Youth that have been signed on pro forms,
    Bone, Lapslie, Kelly, Hanlan, Umerah, Charles- Cook, Aaron Barnes, Archie Edwards.

New Full time Scholars,
    Aiden Prall - Goalkeeper,
    Ashley Maynard- Brewer- Goalkeeper,
    Kenneth Yao- Centre Half,
    Romarno Simpson- Defender,
    Mustapha Bangurs- Williams- Defender
    Taylor Maloney- Central Midfield.
    Sulaiman Bah- Forward
    Terrique Anderson- Forward.

Zak Ansah
  • Options
    Sho-Silva not mentioned as released.
  • Options
    Hi Dick
    Are the Kennedy brothers still with us ?
  • Options
    @dickplumb where did you hear about Bone getting a pro deal?

Mikhail Kennedy signed a new contract.
  • Options
    I can see Chris Eagles ending up at Millwall personally.
  • Options

Doesn't it make the decision to sell Michael Morrison look even more crazy when we've released Tal Ben Haim and Roger Johnson...

Rumoured in the press at the weekend that a certain Mr Powell is trying to sign Morro .
  • Options
    Looking at it very clinically, if we want to get promoted, then the majority of our team/squad aren't up to it. Of those released, you could probably only really argue TBH was and has been a consistent performer, also one that has played at a decent standard. Even then, if we were keeping him, I only would've wanted him as back up anyway. It's unlikely he or we would want that arrangement given his desire to play and our wage structure to have him sitting around on the bench.

After that, of the 1st team squad being let go, they are all not up for it for various reasons. Wilson & Church haven't been good enough IMO. Johnson gave us an initial bit of stability and fight when he came in, but age, wage, mistakes and potential long term attitude make him one to shed. Eagles is drifting from club to club. Again, hasn't done enough to warrant a contract. As others have pointed out, you could go further and dispose of Bikey if we really want to take a lean approach.

It doesn't leave us with much moving forward but making this decision to release that many players obviously means we plan on making it a summer of acquisition. I'm still not sure some of the remaining players have got what it takes to push us on (Vetokele - although I know there is talk of this injury).

It depends what we want. If we want another season of Championship stability, I would've kept a few, if we want to push on, we need to gamble and go for better. Obviously we hope RD is going to replace them otherwise we really are in trouble, but I don't think we have to worry too much.

I am interested to see what happens with Reza, Polish Pete, Nego etc, as it is clear we don't need them, I would like it of they could be sold as well to free up wages.

I can't comment on the youth players. Obviously it is sad they are being let go at such a young age, I hope they all find clubs befitting their level and go onto have successful careers. However I feel this is the summer for RD to show his intent (either way). This is a good start, I think we can cut further if we get better players in
  • Options
    Has George's move back home been made permanent?

Not that I want him back, just asking, not mentioned by anybody here

• Options
    Always likely to happen I would have thought, can you still wear ankle high boots? I'll dust em of just in case. Incoming I would assume.