Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Removal firms

Long shot this, but I'm moving back down South from The Frozen North at the neginning of next month and need a removals firm.

I have been quoted a quite frankly preposterous 1800 quid to move two sofas, a kitchen table & chairs, a bed, a telly and a washing machine (amongst a few other smaller bits and bobs). Does anyone work in (or know someone who works in) the removals industry who could be a bit more sensible about a quote? Moving from Chorley (Lancs) to Woking

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    This is pretty incredible since apparently I live down the road from you and want to do exactly the same thing in a couple of months time (although not to Woking, somewhere nearer Charlton :) ) so I'll be watching this thread with interest :smiley:
  • Options
    You could hire your own truck for much less!
  • Options
    Yes, hire a Luton van for one day and drive it down. If you are staying down you could arrange to drop it off at a nearby hire centre instead of driving it back up.
  • Options
    I think he is probably cycling down.
  • Options
    Yeah - I did the van thing myself when I moved up here - but I've now got things that I can't move on my own, like my sofa. It's bloody heavy, and extremely difficult to manoeuvre down my stairs - plus I'll have to get it up two flights at the other end. Also got a washing machine and a heavy kitchen table.

Seems ridiculously expensive.
  • Options
    What's Polish Pete doing ?

Expects flag.
  • Options
    try Frank on 01322 292323. not saying he'll definitely do it but he's reasonable and may be able to help you out.
  • Options
    You're looking to hire a large van/small truck, plus one or two movers for a day? (provided you don't have to take the van back/can drop it off locally)

Van = around £200-250?
    Person = no more than £150 each surely?

I just looked this up and the cheapest quote I got was a grand!

I know there's insurance and stuff but surely their profit margins can't be that high or else I'm quitting my job and becoming a mover! Surely someone else can explain what kind of costs these people have because as Leroy said this is pretty steep.
  • Options
    This should give some good quotes:

https://www.comparethemanandvan.co.uk/my-move
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

This should give some good quotes:

https://www.comparethemanandvan.co.uk/my-move

That's great, cheers. Have just used it - already have three quotes ranging from 700 to 950 quid. Looks much more realistic :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let me know who you use Leroy since I'll need similar to you soon, if that's alright? Or if he's rubbish as well ;-)
  • Options
    We paid 700 pounds two months ago to move from medway to lytham st annes. Medway Waste Removals of Sheerness.
  • Options
    Might it be worth selling the stuff you have? the buyer then has to carry the heavy bits down the stairs. With the money you save on removals and make on the sales buy new from DFS and Currys, they will deliver and carry it up the stairs.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    If you are going for a firm, I recommend Son of a Gun - they've done a couple of moves for me - nice guys and don't rip you off. Google 'em.
  • Options
    We used Trek a few years ago and they were great. Unsure if they are countrywide though.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Let me know who you use Leroy since I'll need similar to you soon, if that's alright? Or if he's rubbish as well ;-)

Why not hire a big van and both move at the same time :smiley:
  • Options
    Have a look at Anyvan.com. They have a lot of movers who bid for your business. Choose the quote which suits you. Read reviews from past customers. I have used this site 3 times and been very happy. Good luck.
  • Options
    If anyone is interested I managed to get a man and big Luton van for a 3-bed house move for under 300 knicker (van hire alone would have been 200 plus fuel for round trip) to go from Manchester to Kent, including help with loading and unloading, top bloke and would highly recommend. He is based down South so I imagine he would be available for jobs in the area for cheaper considering the round trip. Inbox me if you want more details.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My wife's uncle runs Mickelbrough removals. He may be able to help.
  • Options
    That reminds me of these jokers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d23TGmzAw3A