Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell Sunday BBC1 9pm Episode 1

Seen the trailer & apparently the book was fantastic. Looking forward to this.

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm. Son read the book & said it was rubbish.

But have advised him to start watching the series anyway.

Sounds right up my street....
  • Options
    Richard Madeley said it was the best book he's ever read and he runs some book club with Judy. So he's likely read a few.
    So, although he's a high ranking twat, in the top twat stakes, I tend to think it's probably more than decent.
  • Options

Richard Madeley said it was the best book he's ever read and he runs some book club with Judy. So he's likely read a few.
    So, although he's a high ranking twat, in the top twat stakes, I tend to think it's probably more than decent.

Think someone else commented on how difficult a read it was on the "TV series" thread, CE .

And I'd tend to listen to my son's view as he's an avid reader too ....and def not a twat !

• Options
    Read the book and it was a little tough to get into but was well worth it in the end. Should make for some interesting tv.
  • Options
    Found the book horribly slow to get going, good in the middle, and disappointing at the end. The Missus gave up on it about a third of the way in.

As I said on the TV thread, I thought it tended to get bogged down in excessive detail a lot and I say that as someone who usually likes a slow burner. I'm going to give the TV series a go in the hope they trim some if the fat from the book but personally I didn't think the book was deserving of the hype it received.
  • Options
    Read the book years ago. I remember liking it a lot.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Think someone else commented on how difficult a read it was on the "TV series" thread, CE .

And I'd tend to listen to my son's view as he's an avid reader too ....and def not a twat !

I can usually get through to the end of most books .. BUT .. this one was just too much, too clever and convoluted for its own good .. however, it could well be the type of tripe that converts well to the screen .. a bit like Gormenghast, if anyone remembers that, and the Evelyn Waugh 'satires'
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Found the book horribly slow to get going, good in the middle, and disappointing at the end. The Missus gave up on it about a third of the way in.

As I said on the TV thread, I thought it tended to get bogged down in excessive detail a lot and I say that as someone who usually likes a slow burner. I'm going to give the TV series a go in the hope they trim some if the fat from the book but personally I didn't think the book was deserving of the hype it received.

I agree on the whole, except I quite liked the ending. She created a very stylised world with the detail and while it was a bit much at times, it is no worse than Robert Jordan. As others said, the TV series should be able to cut through the guff. Read an early spoiler free preview on den of geek, said it was excellent
    denofgeek.com/tv/jonathan-strange-mr-norrell/35324/jonathan-strange-mr-norrell-the-best-uk-fantasy-in-years
  • Options
    I read this a few years back and thought it was brilliant. It was bloody epic, occasionally confusing and also quite oppressively gloomy in places.
    However, I really cannot see how it could be transferred into a TV series. It's just too unusual for the atmosphere to be conveyed well I think. I'll give it a try, but I do tend to be very unforgiving of film/tv adaptations of books, e.g. couldn't stand the Lord of the Rings films.
  • Options
    You may read the book but it doesn't mean that the TV series bears any similarity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like it might be my sort of show.
  • Options
    I do remember Gormenghast Lincs and thought it was a load of twaddle. Will give this one a try as I think Eddie Marsen is brilliant but I have a feeling it's going to be hard going.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

You may read the book but it doesn't mean that the TV series bears any similarity.

Well it's got the same name and the same characters, so I would be surprised if it didn't bear any similarity.
  • Options
    I like Michael Connelly and his book Bloodwork was turned into a film starring Clint Eastwood.

In the book his neighbour is his best friend, in the film he was the murderer.

• Options
    I've also read the book and liked it a lot. The trailers certainly look the part. Will definitely be giving it a go.
  • Options
    Likewise Jack Reacher is 6 foot 6 and weighs 300 pounds in the book. In the film he's played by Tom Cruise who's about 5 foot 6 and 160 pounds.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

I like Michael Connelly and his book Bloodwork was turned into a film starring Clint Eastwood.

In the book his neighbour is his best friend, in the film he was the murderer.

I'll remember not to watch that now....
  • Options
    Apologies I should have put a spoiler alert. Read the book I haven't told you whodunit apart from not his neighbour.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Apologies I should have put a spoiler alert. Read the book I haven't told you whodunit apart from not his neighbour.

I was joking mate, sure it's been out a while etc.
  • Options
    Guy who works for me on a part time basis has a role in this series. He plays the character Henry.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Guy who works for me on a part time basis has a role in this series. He plays the character Henry.

Is he wearing a cardigan ?
    Yes, and it's a magic cardigan that means you're always right. (joke)
  • Options
    I have been finding the book ridiculously tough to get into, maybe the TV show will be easier.
  • Options
    Read the book a while back, enjoyed it so this will be interesting
  • Options
    Didn't manage to see it. Any good?
  • Options
    I enjoyed it. Seems like it's going to be a slow burner though, but then that seems to be the case with the book as well.
  • Options
    Yes, rather slow. Let's hope it picks up.
  • Options
    Thought it was excellent. Great production as you would expect from a BBC period piece. Terry Pratchett for adults.
  • Options
    Where did that hour go? Looking forward to the next episode.
  • Options
    Yes, very promising I thought. Cant wait for the next one which is always a good sign.