Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Iceland

I am off to the land of Johann’s upbringing in October for 6 days. Has anyone on here been? Any must dos?

Definitely going Whale watching and to the blue lagoon. Hoping to see the northern lights, but going with the view of I probably won’t and if I do it is a huge bonus.

Over to you well-travelled people :)

Comments

• Options
    One tip - save up!

Another tip if you are hiring a car upgrade your insurance to be fully inclusive. Their idea of a B road is not the same as yours

Definitely go to the blue Lagoon and Geiser.

There was also a very small airport from Reykjavík are you can hire a plane to take you to the Westmann islands. It's like a taxi service in a small Cessna but well worth the trip if you want to do something little bit different
  • Options
    Going in October. Can't wait!
  • Options
    Fantastic place as long as you have things booked up.
    If you've got a day with nothing booked, there doesn't tend to be a lot to do...

We had Northern Lights booked for 1 day and it got cancelled so struggled to fill the day up.

Definitely do the Golden Circle Tour (includes everything you need to see), Blue Lagoon and Northern Lights.

Enjoy, it's a very friendly place.
  • Options
    Nice one! I'll actually be out there myself at that point. I've been many times before. Golden circle tour is great and you can take in quite a lot of the sights by doing that. If you can make it to Vík (on the south coast)it is one of the most amazing places I have ever been, black sand and puffins. Also download an app called 'appy hour' you can do a pub crawl on cheap beer, always a good thing. Enjoy :smile:
  • Options
    Re-mortgage!
  • Options
    We went to a great national park near Akureyri where there was volcanic lakes (lots of mosquitos though) and we crossed a bridge over a three foot crack that was over four miles deep caused by the two continental plates moving away. There were rocks that had been pulled apart by the force of the plates which move apart by one or two cms a year and eventually split the rock. There were also some very impressive waterfalls.
  • Options

I am off to the land of Johann’s upbringing in October for 6 days. Has anyone on here been? Any must dos?

Definitely going Whale watching and to the blue lagoon. Hoping to see the northern lights, but going with the view of I probably won’t and if I do it is a huge bonus.

Over to you well-travelled people :)

A couple of recommendations for the whale watching and Northern lights trips (only based on my experience as they were very good, but I can't compare it to others!):

Whale watching - 'Elding' are one of the main companies, we went with them and they were great, really good!
    Northern Lights trip - I planned to propose to my now fiance under the northern lights which meant I had a lot riding on actually seeing them... but when we got back to our hotel mid-afternoon they told us all trips were cancelled as it was too cloudy! Turns out that ours was actually the only trip that was still running in all of Reykjavic... I wasn't too hopeful! Our tour guide (Lionel) was bonkers but really good fun & put a lot of effort into the trip. He ended up taking us about an hour & a half out of Reykjavic and eventually found a gap in the clouds so we got to see the lights. It meant we ran well over time and didn't get back to the hotel until 1:30am, but it was great that we had a tour that put so much effort in, when all other tours cancelled at the earliest opportunity. The company was called 'Time Tours', was reasonably well priced and ask for Lionel if you can! P.S. she said yes!

Enjoy mate, but be prepared to spend £££
  • Options
    I'll try to get our Icelandic friend on here to visit this thread sometime soon, no better advice than from those that live there!

I've been there just the twice so far, few things;

Rent yourself a car, cabs are very very expensive. Of course if you are drinking then grab a cab.

Stay as close to 'downtown' as possible, by downtown, the central part of Reykjavik. This is very friendly during the day, also there's a lovely little tourist centre on the main 'strip' called 'whats.on' with some lovely people there that love to speak English and help you out. Then at night it turns into an amazing nightlife, they start their drinking a lot later than us English, and they party through the night until 4-5AM, the Icelandic people really come out their shell after a few drinks, same with most Nordic people - it's fascinating.

Feel free to ask for any more info, I can even put you in the direction of one of the owners at Whatson (http://www.whatson.is/)

If you are a thrill seeker and happy to travel, for the fright/ride of your life - http://vikingrafting.is/ . It's a bit out in the wilderness but the workers are happy to help you out with accommodation nearby, you can rent amazing shalet's nearby for cheap as chips. There's nothing like being out in a place like this, sitting in the hot tub, looking up at the sky (If you're going to get lucky with the Northern Lights this is your best shout) with a beer in hand. One of lifes 'WOW' moments.

Lastly, expect to spend a fair amount of Iceland Krona - it's expensive, they get paid well, they are happy to spend hundreds (of pounds) on a night out, and plenty on eating well when out.

Enjoy your trip.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Also get yourself to a sports bar (plenty about) during popular footballing periods, every single live EPL game and they are more football mad than us! Also great food and plenty of drink choice, of course.
  • Options
    The Gullfoss waterfall a couple of hours outside of Reykjavik is an amazing sight. I believe it's part of the 'Golden Circle' tour others have mentioned, definitely a worthwhile way to spend a day.
  • Options
    Beautiful place. I was there in 2006, and have linked my Travelogue if you're interested.

http://chicagoaddick.blogspot.com/2006/04/reykjavik.html
  • Options
    Been twice, wonderful place, friendly people.

I rented a car and drove the whole south coast. Start with golden Circle, the black beaches at Vic, wonderful nature reserve Skaftafell and the breath taking glacier Lagoon. On the road you will see waterfalls, volcanos, Icelandic horses and lava fields. blue lagoon is great just after or before the flight but the big swimming pool in Reykjavic is much cheaper and has warm pools as well.

Loved every minute.
  • Options
    Looking to book a few days in Iceland pre-Xmas , has anyone been during Covid and can outline the entry requirements / can confirm whether you still need to quarantine on arrival ( conflicting messages)
  • Options
    Looking to book a few days in Iceland pre-Xmas , has anyone been during Covid and can outline the entry requirements / can confirm whether you still need to quarantine on arrival ( conflicting messages)
    No quarantine required for Iceland. But you must be fully vaccinated and show a PCR or Rapid negative test result on arrival. 
  • Options
    My daughter will hopefully be going there with her school next year. There’s only so many places so fingers crossed she gets picked.
  • Options

You know that you'll only get four or five hours daylight, right?
  • Options
    Winter is the best time to go. Ignore the haters.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Really enjoyed my trip few years ago.

Was so lucky that when we arrived and went on the northern lights tour that night there was no clouds perfect weather. 

Went whale watching with Elding but didn't see any plenty of dolphins though. 

Golden circle tour is recommend also did snowmobiling which is quite extreme but fun. 

It is very expensive but found that most pubs/bars do have a happy hour where you can get good offers on drinks/food usually early evening. 

Icelandic lamb is just amazing. Hotdog, sandwich and soup just couldn't get enough of it. 

Beautiful and Friendly. 
  • Options
    I was there on a Disney Cruise a few years back. Golden Circle and Blue Lagoon were fantastic. There is a Punk museum in Reijkavic which I ran out of time for. Great place.
  • Options
    I went this time of year about 3 years ago and loved it. Didn't see the northern lights but the scenery was amazing. Loved driving around, would recommend you hire your own car 
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

You know that you'll only get four or five hours daylight, right?
    Went to northern Finland for Christmas a few years ago - had no hours of sunlight, it was brilliant..
  • Options
    I’d recommend Iceland great country, it’s expensive but simply make sure you have enough dosh and don’t constantly compare prices, also recommend Finland, spent a great week over there couple of years ago, Helsinki is a lovely city particularly leading up to Christmas, great food & restaurants, people also very friendly, with architectural reminders everywhere from eastern bloc days. 
  • Options

Strange comment.  I love the place ... and Finland too.  I worked in Oulu, so I know exactly what it's like in Winter.

But I thought it might be a good idea to point out the lack of daylight to the OP. 

Foolish of me.
  • Options
    I’d recommend Iceland great country, it’s expensive but simply make sure you have enough dosh and don’t constantly compare prices, also recommend Finland, spent a great week over there couple of years ago, Helsinki is a lovely city particularly leading up to Christmas, great food & restaurants, people also very friendly, with architectural reminders everywhere from eastern bloc days. 
    Yup agree about Helsinki. 

Been there a couple of times around December period and it’s wonderful.  
  • Options
    Been twice. Once to Reykjavik and the other time three years ago to Akurayri which is in the North. Both stunning and my favourite place to go especially Akurayri. Spectacular 😊
  • Options
    @Dave Rudd were you in Oulu when CAFC played there in 2002 (or was it 2001?). A fair few of us made the trip...was my favourite 'Charlton Away' trip ever...loved Finland...
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:

Strange comment.  I love the place ... and Finland too.  I worked in Oulu, so I know exactly what it's like in Winter.

But I thought it might be a good idea to point out the lack of daylight to the OP. 

Foolish of me.
    I wasn't being serious Dave!