Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Ahearne-Grant (England U18 call up)

edited October 2015 in General Charlton
Karlan Ahearne-Grant has been called up to the England U18 squad for their upcoming matches against Russia.

The Young Lions will attend a training camp in the UK before heading off to Moscow where they will play matches on Monday, June 8th and Wednesday, June 10th at the Arena Khimki.

The 17-year-old striker earned two previous caps for England's U18s during a breakthrough season at The Valley in which he made his first-team debut in the 1-0 victory over Norwich City at Carrow Road.

Ahearne-Grant, the latest player to emerge from the club's esteemed academy, made a total of six first-team appearances, including two starts in 2014/15, and excelled for the development squad as Jason Euell's men picked up the Kent Senior Cup, scoring seven goals in four games throughout the competition.

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-karlan-ahearne-grant-england-u18s

Comments

• Options
    Great news for him.

I really hope he gets loaned out next season so he can get some experience playing L1 or even L2. I know some will want him in and around our squad but realistically he'll get far more game time at a lower level, and I think thats a key part in development at his age.

Look at how much it's helped Pope, THD, Piggot etc.
  • Options
    I know it's factually correct, but KAG playing for the young lions just sounds wrong.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Should have been getting run outs in the side towards the end of the season ahead of Simon Church. Still don't understand it.

I do

Luzon was actually getting something out of church, of course because it was Church one mistake and he was slated, but people are quick to forget he turned it around at Cardiff aand had a few other good games after as well
    He could have scored in every remaining game, he was still leaving the club and we were still finishing mid table. Would dispute that he was getting much out of him as well. He had 1-2 OK sub cameos and his defenders went massively over the top about how "there is a player in there somewhere, Luzon knows how to get it out" etc etc.

Normal service resumed very quickly!
  • Options
    I agree paulie, Gomez definitely looks much more assured and confident but a large part of that is because Gomez is just that good, not because KAG is bad... which he isn't, merely still raw. And I for one think Gomez benefitted a lot from having players like Ben Haim and Johnson next to him giving him instructions and keeping him focussed, which is very handy when you're a centreback... when you're a centre forward that kind of leadership is harder to find I would guess.
  • Options
    Ought to be able to find this on the telly, like Gomez last summer was on Eurosport or something.
  • Options
    I wonder if JC may get a call for U21s?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015

Nope he hasnt... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32807828

Tom Carroll (Tottenham Hotspur, on loan at Swansea City), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Will Hughes (Derby County), Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Shame really that he's behind Jake Forster-Caskey / Nathaniel Chalobah (i.e. fellow Defensive Midfielders) seeing that we finished well ahead of Brighton and Reading this season
  • Options

nope, but Loftus-Cheek with 3 senior club appearances to his name is
  • Options
    Can't see how people rate Will Hughes. Odd bit of magic, but drifts around in games..
  • Options

Tom Carroll (Tottenham Hotspur, on loan at Swansea City), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Will Hughes (Derby County), Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Shame really that he's behind Jake Forster-Caskey / Nathaniel Chalobah (i.e. fellow Defensive Midfielders) seeing that we finished well ahead of Brighton and Reading this season
    yep, and they played 15 games each for those clubs this season (wiki). We finished above both clubs and Jordan also won our player of the year. Not being in that squad is quite disappointing
  • Options

yep, and they played 15 games each for those clubs this season (wiki). We finished above both clubs and Jordan also won our player of the year. Not being in that squad is quite disappointing
    To be honest I dont know much about Jake Forster-Caskey but Chalobah doesnt seem to have kicked on since his loan @ Watford a few seasons back (i.e. He went on loan to Burnley at the start of this season and flopped so was recalled and then dropped down to the Championship at a side struggling to survive)
  • Options

To be honest I dont know much about Jake Forster-Caskey but Chalobah doesnt seem to have kicked on since his loan @ Watford a few seasons back (i.e. He went on loan to Burnley at the start of this season and flopped so was recalled and then dropped down to the Championship at a side struggling to survive)
    I don't know much about Forster-Caskey either tbh, he may deserve to be in the squad. Just think that considering we finished above both of the teams, Jordan played more games than both of them combined this season (if wikipedia is to be believed) and, on top of that, he won our player of the season it seems unlikely they should both be ahead of him. It does seem as though Chalobah is there due to being good last season rather than this.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Might as well just call the U21 the 'B team' going forward, as it doesn't actually reflect our best of U21 talent.

A proper side could have the likes of Sterling, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley, Wilshere and possibly Shelvey as an overage player. The sort of team that would have a strong chance of winning something, and providing great tournament experience that recent young Spanish and German players have had.

But no, the Premier League clubs have the say and they choose to try and weaken our national side yet again.

Realistically what are the chances of players like Lingard or Chalobah being in the England set up any time soon? Serves little purpose really.
  • Options
    Maybe Luzon decided he wasn’t ready. Playing him when this is the case could have helped him gain valuable experience, but also could damage confidence. I think managers will have a reason for what they do – we can disagree but as people always remind me – we don’t see the players day to day in training.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    No way was KAG ready. He was nowhere near the 1st team squad. He hadn't even trained with them.

He was thrown in, because we only had one decent striker, Vetokele & he got injured.

That's why I had some sympathy for Peeter's tactics & felt that Luzon got lucky with us having just got in Watt.

Luzon also had, Hendereson coming back from injury, Bulot coming back from African Nations, Diarra, Johnson & Eagles coming in.

That's half a team !
  • Options

No way was KAG ready. He was nowhere near the 1st team squad. He hadn't even trained with them.

He was thrown in, because we only had one decent striker, Vetokele & he got injured.

That's why I had some sympathy for Peeter's tactics & felt that Luzon got lucky with us having just got in Watt.

Luzon also had, Hendereson coming back from injury, Bulot coming back from African Nations, Diarra, Johnson & Eagles coming in.

That's half a team !

I think there is a lot of truth in what you say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015

That's half a team !

For sure Watt came in for Tucudean and Henderson came back from injury.
    But Peeters had Bulot and Cousins all along and played them in the wrong positions! And even had Solly centre mid at one point!

Yes, Luzon gained Diarra, Johnson and Eagles but the latter two made an impact at the start which delivered emphatic results... Then not much.

KAG should feature in our best four strikers at some point but we also need another decent striker signed up if we are to move up the league. Church coming on every week made that crystal clear.
  • Options
    Just saw that England U18s managed to beat Russia 2-0 thanks to goals from Adam Armstrong (Newcastle United) and Patrick Roberts (Fulham).

Our own Karlan Ahearne-Grant came on as a Substitute for Armstrong in the 85th minute with the score already 2-0... Well done Karlan for getting the appearance
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    A very good read. I like the academy discipline comments, only black boots for the players, something the All Black RU team has copied ((:>)
    I hope that he starts again tomorrow, he was VERY cool when scoring @ Cardiff .. Karlan is (needless to say) a terrific prospect. Be good to see him start alongside BigMak, whenever the latter is fit, with his pace and control he'll thrive on any knockdowns and flick-ons
    If other clubs come sniffing around, the price tag should start at £10,000,000 .. I wish him all the very best in his career
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Can KAG play for Scotland as well as England ?

Edit - literally just had to read the article to confirm that he can !
  • Options
    Good article, thank you.
  • Options
    I think he is close to his next breakthrough - the first making the first team. He is a young player I think should be involved at the moment - if off the bench or starting!
  • Options

I think he is close to his next breakthrough - the first making the first team. He is a young player I think should be involved at the moment - if off the bench or starting!

Reckon he'll be awarded for his goal last weekend with a start today... Hope so as when he came on at Fulham @ Craven Cottage last season he was our best player