Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

taking dogs on holiday to france

any dog people on here taken their dog(s) away with them to france?

I've just got my pet passport sorted and am thinking of traveling to france. I was planning to drive and use the euro shuttle. more expensive than the ferry but less time for the dog to be stuck in the back of the car.

any tips or tails of woe, everybody seems to suggest that dogs are just about allowed everywhere and anywhere, hotels, restaurants and beaches etc, etc., is that the case?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    My neighbours have a caravan in the South of France and take their dog with them all the time. I think they use the Eurotunnel service not just because it's quicker but also because they get to stay in the car with their dog for the half hour journey.
  • Options

I've just got my pet passport sorted and am thinking of traveling to france. I was planning to drive and use the euro shuttle. more expensive than the ferry but less time for the dog to be stuck in the back of the car.

any tips or tails of woe, everybody seems to suggest that dogs are just about allowed everywhere and anywhere, hotels, restaurants and beaches etc, etc., is that the case?

thanks in advance.

Taken my Springer backwards and forwards many times and ALWAYS use the Euro Shuttle. Normally I'm in my van so he just sits next to me on the front seat, taking it all in, plus the stewardess's always want a stroke (and I let em stroke the dog if they're lucky an all ; )). On the ferry you have to leave them in kennels on the car deck, or in the motor and I don't think you're officially allowed to visit the dog while at sea (My dogs would be fine with that, but I wouldn't want to put them through it meself)

Yes, dogs are allowed anywhere mate as long as they're obvously well behaved.

Also, there's plenty of motorway services to stop to stretch the legs and go toilet.
  • Options
    Don't forget to check out the vetinary requirements for worming prior to coming back into the UK. That's the most hassle.
  • Options
    Yeah, SHG is right, the dog's passport has to be stamped by a registered vet to say he's had his worming tablet, with-in a certain time before your return date (48 hours springs to mind). It should be easy to check online mate, I've just had a look and I haven't brought mine back to the UK for the last 4 years so things might've changed
  • Options
    A relative just took a 4 month old puppy on Eurotunnel and said it was a stress-free experience.
    Costs £17 to take a pet in the car.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

thanks in advance.

You're a dog?
    yes I'm barking.
  • Options
    thanks for the input so far fellas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is a wwll useful thread. I've been meaning to take my Collie croos Springer over. The only bit that confuses me is the stuff about having to have a vet administer anti-worming and provide a certificate two days before return journey?
  • Options

This is a wwll useful thread. I've been meaning to take my Collie croos Springer over. The only bit that confuses me is the stuff about having to have a vet administer anti-worming and provide a certificate two days before return journey?

Sorry, my fault, it's between 1-5 days before you plan returning to the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/tapeworm-treatment-dogs
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

brogib said:

I'm looking after my parents dog while I am in France after they leave... They didn't make me aware I'd have to piss about with this. Thanks for letting me know, would have ended up stranded in Calais, and genuinely would have thrown the little sh*t into the sea and just drove on.
    If he's only little, stick him in the boot and give him the worming meds yourself
  • Options
    One more thing, both Eurotunnel stations at Folkestone and Calais have "exercise" (i.e. crapping) areas so you can make the little angels comfortable before the train journey across. It's only half an hour but when they gotta go, they gotta go.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Took a dog to Europe a couple of years back. Ended my marriage and nearly bankrupted me </

that'll teach you to play away.

• Options
    brogib said:

Huskaris said:

brogib said:

I'm looking after my parents dog while I am in France after they leave... They didn't make me aware I'd have to piss about with this. Thanks for letting me know, would have ended up stranded in Calais, and genuinely would have thrown the little sh*t into the sea and just drove on.
    If he's only little, stick him in the boot and give him the worming meds yourself
    But if they spot him I'll be screwed? Like I said though I wouldn't consider chucking him in the sea too much of a negative. Love dogs but my family have decided that because he's small (King Charles Spaniel Cavalier) they can literally let him chew through everything and jump at everything/everyone and if you say he needs to be disciplined and trained, "oh leave him, he's a puppy" not understanding how important it is to train when he's a puppy. Not his fault to be fair but I hate the thing.
  • Options
    I'm taking mine on the ferry this year, hopefully he'll be OK in the car. Last time we took him we went via Eurotunnel and if I recall correctly, we had him wormed and his passport stamped to confirm, about 2 days prior to return. I think that when we got to the Eurotunnel on the way back, we had to queue up before the terminal to have his pet passport checked. This added about 30 minutes to our return journey.
  • Options
    Never taken my dogs on holiday, but Bailey went out to Germany once for an assessment and he flew. So no help at all really. ;)
  • Options
    I think it's ok just as long as you remember to bag up your dogs mess. Just remember not to put it in the same pocket as your car keys (:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    T.C.E said:

Never taken my dogs on holiday, but Bailey went out to Germany once for an assessment and he flew. So no help at all really. ;)

Really ? You'll be telling me that pigs might fly next.

Anyway, why would any dog want to go to France ? Surely they'd rather go to Madagascat, Barkino Faso or Ballgaria ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

T.C.E said:

Anyway, why would any dog want to go to France ? Surely they'd rather go to Madagascat, Barkino Faso or Ballgaria ?
    If they haven't got a passport they could go to Leeds
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

PL54 said:

T.C.E said:

If they haven't got a passport they could go to Leeds
    take to leeds! i would never inflict that kind of cruelty on to a dog.
  • Options
    Woolwich ferry and onto Barking might be easier...
  • Options
    I thought the thread title was 'talking dogs on holiday to France' which would have been much more interesting to me. The further adventures of those cheeky talking dogs.