Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How many slave deaths for the Qatar World Cup can Fifa put up with?

Comments

• Options

Chizz said:

The 2022 World Cup is to be played in the world's richest country. As things stand, more than 62 workers will die for each game played during the 2022 tournament.

Is that acceptable?

What about their anti-gay culture Chizz? Surely most people will be boycotting it on that basis alone!?!
    Maybe
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Chizz said:

The 2022 World Cup is to be played in the world's richest country. As things stand, more than 62 workers will die for each game played during the 2022 tournament.

Is that acceptable?

What about their anti-gay culture Chizz? Surely most people will be boycotting it on that basis alone!?!
    On a smaller scale, the coverage of homosexuality and Russia was quite enlightening prior to the winter olympics in Sochi.
  • Options

The deadliest middle eastern construction project since the pyramids!

John Oliver did a great piece on FIFA prior to last world cup - covered the Qatar 2022 award also. Very entertaining. John Oliver is now essential viewing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJEt2KU33I

John Oliver's show is probably the best thing broadcast in the English language at the moment (other than Babestation & Game of Thrones, obvs).
  • Options
    People really not going to watch the games on TV in 7 years time ?

What about read about the games online/in newspapers - does that count?
  • Options
    To be honest, with England's performances in the last 2 World Cup's we wouldn't be missing much anyway!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    When stuff becomes just too despicable I tend to switch off to save myself any more self inflicted angst. Beyond parody.

Herr Sepp cannot last too much longer can he? I fear his successors are already in place.
  • Options
    I think this has the potential to be one of FIFA’s biggest cock ups (which is saying something). Campaigns target at sponsors and key players persuading them to boycott could really damage this tournament. I think this will happen as the tournament nears.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    MrOneLung said:

People really not going to watch the games on TV in 7 years time ?

What about read about the games online/in newspapers - does that count?

The point is that FIFA ought not to be pandering to these medieval regimes that have no regard for the lives of workers let alone safety. It should be made a requirement for bidding that health and safety and the wellbeing of workers be of a civilised standard.

People like Blatter and the majority of FIFA delegates are just nose in the trough swine.

It is the responsibility of nations like Britain and others that do not subscribe to acceptance that migrant workers are cannon fodder to the World Cup God called Money to speak up and in my view should be banning the participation of our football teams.

It's now surely now obvious that we cannot leave the football authorities to do the right thing.
  • Options

I think this has the potential to be one of FIFA’s biggest cock ups (which is saying something). Campaigns target at sponsors and key players persuading them to boycott could really damage this tournament. I think this will happen as the tournament nears.

I don't, the stadiums will be built by then and the slaves that built them long dead. That campaign needs to happen now, whilst there's still a chance to make things better.
  • Options
    I agree the campaign needs to happen now, but if it does or doesn’t, it will happen. And FIFA may be happier to bury it’s head in the sand than Adidas, McDonalds or Coca-Cola.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FIFA will likely and probably has already counter any campaign to pressure sponsors or to boycott the cup by claiming these campaigns are 'racist' since the cup is being held in the Middle East. And as much pressure we can heap on the sponsors, you have to bear in mind that the Middle East is a huge emerging market and if the sponsors pull out of the World Cup, they could face a backlash from their Middle East customer base who will see it as some form of discrimination or attack against them.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Fiiish said:

FIFA will likely and probably has already counter any campaign to pressure sponsors or to boycott the cup by claiming these campaigns are 'racist' since the cup is being held in the Middle East. And as much pressure we can heap on the sponsors, you have to bear in mind that the Middle East is a huge emerging market and if the sponsors pull out of the World Cup, they could face a backlash from their Middle East customer base who will see it as some form of discrimination or attack against them.

Really ! So Coka Cola and McD's are worried. Their products are so iconic that they will get bought regardless.

• Options
    Kap10 said:

A BBC film crew were arrested for spying and locked up for two days for filming in a worker's hostel. Put in front of a judge who accused them of being disrespectful.

When spin goes wrong, the BBC were invited to Qatar to see the living conditions and were taken to a smart accomodation block, the authorities did not bank on the BBC to go and find the real accommodation blocks.
    That sounds a bit like the Nazi propaganda films showing the Jews having a lovely time in the concentration/death camps.
  • Options
    Much as I'd support a campaign via sponsors (and it is only through money that FIFA will ever listen) this simply has to be global as if it comes from England or UK FIFA will simply brush it off as bid-loser's sour grapes. So even in the age of social media it will be quite an achievement to organise this.
  • Options
    As much as I despise FIFA and their back-hander ways, I don't think that they can be blamed for the actions of Qatar.

I agree that they should never have granted them the World Cup but surely it is not FIFA or football's job to bring a nation to account?

Where is the pressure from the international community?
  • Options

As much as I despise FIFA and their back-hander ways, I don't think that they can be blamed for the actions of Qatar.

I agree that they should never have granted them the World Cup but surely it is not FIFA or football's job to bring a nation to account?

FIFA can send out a very powerful message by taking it away from them. For an organisation that represents the "peoples game" and promotes equality and "fair play" I think it's very much in their remit to take a stand.
  • Options
    I suppose the problem is that most countries would have some 'skeletons in the cupboards' so could be opposed.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

FIFA make countries sign up to all sorts of amendments to laws when they award them tournaments, Brazil had to change multiple laws in 2014 in order to host the tournament - many for the financial benefit of FIFA and their sponsors;

http://berkeleytravaux.com/world-cup-changing-countrys-laws-one-tournament-time/

Is it asking too much that FIFA extend some of this influence to protect the people building the stadiums that will host the tournament (and FIFA's sponsors) in 7 years time ?
  • Options

FIFA can send out a very powerful message by taking it away from them. For an organisation that represents the "peoples game" and promotes equality and "fair play" I think it's very much in their remit to take a stand.
    I agree with that - but who makes a stand for workers dying on non World Cup projects? You can't tell me that the numbers aren't equally appalling on other big projects over there?!?

It needs concerted international government pressure.

• Options
    edited May 2015

I agree with that - but who makes a stand for workers dying on non World Cup projects? You can't tell me that the numbers aren't equally appalling on other big projects over there?!?

Yes, very true, sadly one little word will prevent that every happening - oil.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gutted that Xavi is on his way there.
  • Options
    Have just e-mailed all those names supplied by Jimmy 85, advising them that I will boycott their products/services if they have any involvement with Qatar 2022. Will be interested to see if their is any reaction. The PR people have probably already got replies in place, we shall see.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Figo has dropped out of the presidential race which is a real shame. He says there's no hope of a valid voting process.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/21/luis-figo-fifa-presidential-race-two-horse-race
  • Options

I am not sure, but I think that there are regulations within FIFA's bid process relating to host countries treating workers involved to be treated ethically. The whole Qatar situation though has driven a coach and horses through FIFA's regulations.
  • Options

The rate they are gong maybe ISIS will stop the Qatar world cup!!
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

The rate they are gong maybe ISIS will stop the Qatar world cup!!
    Same rule applies. But I get your drift Kap.
  • Options
    Below is the reply I received from Kia CEO. Looks rather complacent.

"Thank you for your contact to express your concerns.

Firstly may we explain that Kia Motors (UK) Limited is the UK arm of the global Kia family and as such is not involved in planning or implementing global sponsorships.

However your concerns have been passed to our head office.

We would like to inform you that as a commercial partner we have no control over the bidding process, awarding of events or the construction or operation of World Cup sites.

Yours sincerely

Paul Philpott President & CEO

Kia Motors (UK) Ltd"

• Options
    Tramp said:

Below is the reply I received from Kia CEO. Looks rather complacent.

"Thank you for your contact to express your concerns.

Nuffink to do with us.

Yours sincerely

Paul Philpott President & CEO

Kia Motors (UK) Ltd"

EFA

• Options
    I asked Kia if they're happy to let family members get involved in such activity. Wouldn't you say something if you went around your sister's house and she had a slave tied to the stairs?
  • Options
    I predict humorous responses