Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Eibar get relegated even though they had better goal difference...

I notice from SKy's rolling tables that Eibar got relegated coming third from bottom despite having a better goal difference than Granada and Deportivo with the same points.
Presumably, the head-to-head ? - if so, then that is damn unlucky.

Comments

• Yep, head to head records count when tied on points. Arguably a better way to differentiate though?
  • I notice from SKy's rolling tables that Eibar got relegated coming third from bottom despite having a better goal difference than Granada and Deportivo with the same points.
    Presumably, the head-to-head ? - if so, then that is damn unlucky.

Yeah I'm sure Spain use head to head
  • They do - has decided the title before too.

I think it's a poor way of doing it - instantly gives one team in effect a point advantage that can't be caught up like goal difference can.
  • I looked at Eibar three quarters of the way through the season and they seemed to be safe in mid-table - must have had a disastrous end to the season?
  • Personally think head to head is a better tie-break.
    Beating your nearest challengers is better than winning a couple of games by an extra goal, IMO.
  • Personally think head to head is a better tie-break.
    Beating your nearest challengers is better than winning a couple of games by an extra goal, IMO.

Would but you don't necessary know who you're closest rivals are going to be when you play them. A title should be decided over the course of a season and not on two games when tied. Saying that, I don't think goal scored should decide it as defending can be as skilled as attacking and think a playoff should decide if two teams share the same goal difference.
  • Tough on Eibar, or according to their Yorkshire Supporters Branch, Eibar glum.
  • I don't think head to head should be used. All manner of factors can come into that - injuries at the time of the fixtures or fixture congestion for one particular side, poor refereeing decisions. Goal difference is the fairest way over the course of the whole season. And yeh if not and if it's for something meaningful (i.e. relegation) then a play-off, which would add excitement...
  • Eibar had a great start to the season and were eighth at one point and were the top Basque team, ahead of their illustrious neighbours Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad. Complete collapse in the second half of the season though, only picking up a couple of points.

They are really a tiny team - I read the other day that the entire population of the town would fit into the Nou Camp four times!
  • Somebody really needs to do something about Barcelona. 110 goals for only 21 against in an entire season. That just isn't exciting!
  • Sponsored links:

• Eibar had a great start to the season and were eighth at one point and were the top Basque team, ahead of their illustrious neighbours Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad. Complete collapse in the second half of the season though, only picking up a couple of points.

They are really a tiny team - I read the other day that the entire population of the town would fit into the Nou Camp four times!

Jesus you're right. 5,000 capacity stadium and entire town is only 27,000 people. How the **** did they get to the top division of Spanish football?!
  • They only got promoted to the second league the year before and were the smallest team in that league last year as well.

What they had was a real toughness, much more of an English direct style. When they had the inevitable injuries though it all fell apart.
  • Any players we can 'nick'?
  • There's a team in the 2nd division in Spain even smaller than Eibar. Llagostera, who only 11 years ago were in the 8th tier, they got promoted to the Segunda last season even though their capacity was just 1500 and they had to rent another ground so they'd be accepted into the league.
  • There's a team in the 2nd division in Spain even smaller than Eibar. Llagostera, who only 11 years ago were in the 8th tier, they got promoted to the Segunda last season even though their capacity was just 1500 and they had to rent another ground so they'd be accepted into the league.

And how did they do this season?

And how did they do this season?
    8th, 6 points off the playoffs
  • Season still going and in with a shout of the playoffs!
  • Just shows how good the Championship is compared to other European 2nd tiers. Llagostera and Eiber would be like having Welling in the Championship. Same in Italy.
  • edited May 2015
    Llagostera essentially blew it on sunday by losing 1-0 away at Girona, but considering the start they had this season, and the fact their home games are played in Palamos (their own ground is tiny and boasts an artificial pitch which can't be used at their current level) it's a tremendous achievement. In their two year stay in tier three, they did the same thing. The first season was consolidation after a sticky start, followed by a great second season and promotion via the play offs, so who knows next year. Girona will gain automatic promotion on sunday if they win away at Mallorca and Sporting Gijon don't which would be exciting for the club and town.
    As for Éibar, it was a fantasy season, with a dreadfull second half. As a Deportivo fan, I wanted anyone apart from us going down, and I had a wild saturday night on the back of the 2-2 draw we got in the Camp Nou (I wish I'd gone now, but my faith was shot) but I feel for Éibar. They were ever present in tier two when I moved here in the nineties, so their rise is'nt that recent, but to see their 5000 capacity ground hosting Barça and Madrid was bizarre. I hope they come back, but there is a worrying precedent. Compostela, Extremadura and Merida are all clubs with no top flight history who have reached the top level in my stay here, and they all went into financial ruin when relegated (Only merida, I believe in tier 4 are anywhere near where they were, while Extremadura don't exist any more, and Compostela are playing regional football in front of 150 fans).
  • Interesting insight Ken. Didnt realise that Deportivo got a draw at Barca - and were 2 down with less than 25 mins to go.! - Amazing ! - how does that happen ? There weren't any FIFA presidents in the crowd methinks ?!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32843920
  • Sponsored links:

• Tough on Eibar, or according to their Yorkshire Supporters Branch, Eibar glum.

There should be a 'groan' button

:smiley:
  • Not to take away credit for a great Deportivo performance, and two cracking goals, but Barça took their foot off the pedal big time. If they had needed three points for the title, they would have got them. Having said that, Eibar played and beat an already relegated Cordoba, who were unwilling to make any effort to win. End of season throws up some strange results.
  • Looking more and more likely that Éibar will be saved. Elche have financial problems and irregularities, which could today see them relegated which would mean a reprieve for Éibar. To be honest, fair enough. I'm not sure if this is to do with FFP, but it shows the Spanish liga do try to keep a certain regularity in club debt and transparency. The point where it does'nt apply are Barcelona, Real Madrid and Valencia, all of whom owe millions.
  • Nòoooo! Elche my sons second team.
  • Not down yet.........but looking very likely. Why does your son like Elche?
  • Looking more and more likely that Éibar will be saved. Elche have financial problems and irregularities, which could today see them relegated which would mean a reprieve for Éibar. To be honest, fair enough. I'm not sure if this is to do with FFP, but it shows the Spanish liga do try to keep a certain regularity in club debt and transparency. The point where it does'nt apply are Barcelona, Real Madrid and Valencia, all of whom owe millions.

Ah, Elche Palmeral - what a beautiful place that is (assuming its still there, of course).

I've never understood how Barca are in huge debt, after all, when you think about it, surely they havnt spent much on players in the past decade, after all, the Team is/was virtually home-grown.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33022922

Elche down and a reprieve for Eibar.