Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clancies Pub

2»

Comments

• Options
    Great pub and John is a top bloke. I know he was looking to sell and move on but haven't been for a while. I know he reads Charlton Life so maybe he'll pop by soon.
  • Options

brogib said:

Spent the first 14 years of my life living opposite The Vic (648 Woolwich Road). Our house was knocked down to build a basketball court for the drug dealers to serve up in.

Here in Belfast the graffiti on the walls says 'Heroin dealers will be shot'.
    Which sounds fair to me.
    Are you sure you are not in Indonesia?
  • Options

con club ---awaiting re-development
    doom and gloom---African church
    Victoria---about to fall down
    White Horse---hanging on
    Clancies---shut
    Albion---African restaurant
    Greyhound---jesus what a mess
    Mitre---African church

few years back could do a good pub crawl from Woolwich to The valley

Ample opportunity to pray for a win, instead?

• Options

White Horse---hanging on
    Clancies---shut
    Mitre---African church

Also The Westminster down from Clancys/Dockers.
  • Options
    Is the George IV near Samuel street area still going?
    Used to play darts against them many moons ago.
  • Options

Is the George IV near Samuel street area still going?
    Used to play darts against them many moons ago.

It was still going in January this year.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It's not all doom and gloom on the pub front. Five Micropubs have opened in and around SE London in the last couple of years; The Door Hinge, One Inn The Wood, The Penny Farthing, The Long Pond and most recently The Broken Drum. They are doing well and there or more of these to come in Sidcup, Beckenham. Bexleyheath and Bexley Village according to grapevine.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It's not all doom and gloom on the pub front. Five Micropubs have opened in and around SE London in the last couple of years; The Door Hinge, One Inn The Wood, The Penny Farthing, The Long Pond and most recently The Broken Drum. They are doing well and there or more of these to come in Sidcup, Beckenham. Bexley health and Bexley Vilage according to the hop vine.

• Options

Riviera said:

It's not all doom and gloom on the pub front. Five Micropubs have opened in and around SE London in the last couple of years; The Door Hinge, One Inn The Wood, The Penny Farthing, The Long Pond and most recently The Broken Drum. They are doing well and there or more of these to come in Sidcup, Beckenham. Bexley health and Bexley Vilage according to grapevine.

Micropubs are for Dulwich Hamlet types.
    Yeah Welling and Crayford are full of Dulwich Hamlet types!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    try opening one of those on the lower road Charlton !
  • Options

Riviera said:

It's not all doom and gloom on the pub front. Five Micropubs have opened in and around SE London in the last couple of years; The Door Hinge, One Inn The Wood, The Penny Farthing, The Long Pond and most recently The Broken Drum. They are doing well and there or more of these to come in Sidcup, Beckenham. Bexley health and Bexley Vilage according to grapevine.

The thing is, I like a pub that resembles a pub, rather than a front room with a desk at the front.
    No insult meant.
  • Options
    brogib said:

Spent the first 14 years of my life living opposite The Vic (648 Woolwich Road). Our house was knocked down to build a basketball court for the drug dealers to serve up in.

Remembering the newsagents that sat amongst those houses. Bacon rolls and papers.
  • Options

Riviera said:

The thing is, I like a pub that resembles a pub, rather than a front room with a desk at the front.
    No insult meant.

Well I can't speak for all,but I'll think you'll find that The Long Pond more than resembles a pub, a traditional one.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

No insult meant.
    Well I can't speak for all,but I'll think you'll find that The Long Pond more than resembles a pub, a traditional one.

Is it in Dulwich Hamlet?
  • Options

TelMc32 said:

White Horse---hanging on
    Clancies---shut
    Mitre---African church

I was told that The Victoria was on fire the other night...did it finally fall over?
    Curb_It said:

I went in the Who'd a Thought It the other night for the first since 1996 (the snowed off Brentford (FA cup game).
    It hasn't changed, at all.

B - I used to run the football team out of there around then...not sure the fact that it hasn't changed is a good thing!!! :wink:
    Old snake hips still doing his thing.
    Have just bought him a quick half in The Bull as he was heading up town. He was asking after you :smile:
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It's not all doom and gloom on the pub front. Five Micropubs have opened in and around SE London in the last couple of years; The Door Hinge, One Inn The Wood, The Penny Farthing, The Long Pond and most recently The Broken Drum. They are doing well and there or more of these to come in Sidcup, Beckenham. Bexleyheath and Bexley Village according to grapevine.

That was out nickname for the Horse and Groom

The Royal Oak = The Royal Joke
    The Pickwick = The Shitwick
  • Options
    A pub thread and no Vincenzo?
  • Options
    ....sorry, forgot

The Anchor in Hope = The Wanker in Hope
  • Options
    As my brother in law @bigmac says regarding micro brewerys "I don't like drinking beer with the thought in my head that it was brewed in a bath tub round the back"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

White Horse---hanging on
    Clancies---shut
    Mitre---African church

That is a really sad list. Particularly upsetting (for me) is the Mitre, even if it was Greene King. Such a lovely old building and handy for the ferry. Now it's just another church. Jeezus how many more churches are needed, there are three around that one roundabout now? Don't blink or they'll be turning the ferry terminal into a church.
  • Options
    Stig said:

White Horse---hanging on
    Clancies---shut
    Mitre---African church

That is a really sad list. Particularly upsetting (for me) is the Mitre, even if it was Greene King. Such a lovely old building and handy for the ferry. Now it's just another church. Jeezus how many more churches are needed, there are three around that one roundabout now? Don't blink or they'll be turning the ferry terminal into a church.
    Amen to that @Stig
  • Options
    Stig said:

White Horse---hanging on
    Clancies---shut
    Mitre---African church

Perhaps you can be safe in the knowledge being able to pray for a Charlton win.
  • Options
    Stig said:

White Horse---hanging on
    Clancies---shut
    Mitre---African church

As of November last year, 14 churches were opened around the Powis Street area within a year.
    As regards pubs, all my old watering holes have now succumbed to churches, flats, bookies etc
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Stig said:

White Horse---hanging on
    Clancies---shut
    Mitre---African church

As of November last year, 14 churches were opened around the Powis Street area within a year.
    As regards pubs, all my old watering holes have now succumbed to churches, flats, bookies etc
    I thought people had stopped going to church.
  • Options

Stig said:

White Horse---hanging on
    Clancies---shut
    Mitre---African church

It's back in fashion.
  • Options

Stig said:

White Horse---hanging on
    Clancies---shut
    Mitre---African church

They're all african "churches".
  • Options
    and another one bites the dust..
    The Albion is now an African bar.
  • Options

and another one bites the dust..
    The Albion is now an African bar.

That's just toto many in that area........