Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The FA Cup

I will be on Talksport at 3.45 today talking about the FA Cup and why being an Addick and convinced we will never, ever reach an FA Cup Final was the driving force behind these books....and, while I absolutely adored the FA Cup as a lad growing up in the 70s and 80s, I now could not care less about it (or something like that)imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Is the interview available to listen to online?
  • Options

Is the interview available to listen to online?

http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1432900800#

Try this BedsAddick starting at 20:00

• Options

Is it an FA cup final tradition now to lament how the FA cup final isn't the occasion it used to be?

It is a bit isn't it.
  • Options
    Why is it kicking off so late? How did this become the "norm" and why?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Why is it kicking off so late? How did this become the "norm" and why?

Because broadcasters call the shots and it's all about maximising audience figures. Everything else like tradition, convenience, transport etc plays second fiddle
  • Options
    ITV got it changed as they argued that you'd get a bigger TV audience for a Tea-Time K.O. Now why would they do that? Bigger audience= more advertising revenue. Why the BBC haven't switched it back is beyond me.
    Like many lost sporting traditions, it's all about the ££££££££.
    The Derby
    European Cup final
    Test Matches
    Cheltenham Festival
    The list goes on.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

ITV got it changed as they argued that you'd get a bigger TV audience for a Tea-Time K.O. Now why would they do that? Bigger audience= more advertising revenue. Why the BBC haven't switched it back is beyond me.
    Like many lost sporting traditions, it's all about the ££££££££.
    The Derby
    European Cup final
    Test Matches
    Cheltenham Festival
    The list goes on.

Probably because if they switched it back to 3PM, and the figures dropped, they would get pelters from the BBC haters....
  • Options
    It was changed because the FA Cup final date was brought forward due to a World Cup year. That then meant Prem games on the same day, so the kick off was pushed back.

It should have been changed back again though.
  • Options
    Copied from a thread in Feb 2013:

Isn't it like a self fulfilling prophecy? As more and more people say it's losing 'it's magic' then so more and more believe it is. Of course, there is no real magic in the first place, just a good feeling and a sense of excitement.

Is it because the big clubs care less? If so I say good - sod them all - it gives us more of a chance and I do bloody well want to win it. It's one of the things on my shortlist of things I want to see or do before I die.

I personally say there is magic in the FA Cup. What's more we can win it but I can't see us winning the league. I personally would go for the cup and if necessary field a weakened team in the league. You may think this crazy but I find the lack of respect for the grandest oldest football competion in the word pure idiocy.

Think about it and you too may conclude that the FA Cup is the most important thing for Charlton Athletic. Why have a club if you don't want to win anything which is essentially what a lot of you are saying (without realising it). If we as supporters made this clear to the club then I'm sure we'd get a lot closer to winning it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any idea who the lady wearing the Charlton shirt in the Cup Fans Choir is?? What an experience for them
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    More modern football shit. They might as well just cancel it, it's already treated as a reserve tournament for the big clubs (and some small ones).

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/644521/FA-Cup-League-Cup-Premier-League-England-winter-break-fixture-News-Gossip

Of course, the reason we have such a crowded fixture list is because of the ridiculous number of games that you have to play to progress through the Champions League. You used to play 5 games to get to the final of the European Cup, you now have to play 6 just to get to the last 16. Don't hear Arsene and co suggesting they revert to a leaner Champions League though.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

More modern football shit. They might as well just cancel it, it's already treated as a reserve tournament for the big clubs (and some small ones).

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/644521/FA-Cup-League-Cup-Premier-League-England-winter-break-fixture-News-Gossip

Of course, the reason we have such a crowded fixture list is because of the ridiculous number of games that you have to play to progress through the Champions League. You used to play 5 games to get to the final of the European Cup, you now have to play 6 just to get to the last 16. Don't hear Arsene and co suggesting they revert to a leaner Champions League though.

Why dont they change the Europa League so that once your out of the Champions League, your out of Europe altogether rather than getting a second chance (i.e. the losers of the Champions League Play-Off round go into it and then the 3rd place teams from the Groups go into it)
  • Options
    Dont think scrapping replays and the Carling Cup Semi Final is a bad idea but how about trim European competitions too
  • Options
    The bigger sides only play a second string eleven anyway, so where is the problem.
    I know that the competition is often viewed as a nuisance; however, I bet Arsenal will be delighted that Walcott and Welbeck will be getting gametime this weekend and Roy Hodgson will not be moaning I am sure.
    With replays, why do you need extra time anyway; just go straight to penalties.
  • Options
    Scrap Extra-Time together... Your given 90mins to score... You didnt manage it...
  • Options

The one competition where its not all about the big clubs is now all about the big clubs. Pathetic.

Could not agree more.
  • Options
    Some of the best Charlton away days in the 60's and 70's were in the FA Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The one competition where its not all about the big clubs is now all about the big clubs. Pathetic.

pettgra said:

Could not agree more.
    Shhh please... Your ruining the melodramatic memories that the BBC and BT Sport force down our throats.
  • Options

I've said for a number of years if you want the competition to be taken seriously by the so called bigger clubs make it so the winner gets the champions league spot rather than 4th in the Prem.

It will help the cup move with the times, as that 4th spot is somewhat seen as a cup win now.

I can see the logic, but that could mean qualifying for the Champions League off the back of beating six teams who are not even in your own division. Hardly the stuff of champions...
  • Options
    Would be awful for the lower league/non league teams to be denied a replay at one of the biggest arenas. If they've held one of the "elite" to a draw at home, they've earned the chance to take them on in a replay. Same goes in the opposite way, would again be shitting over lower league/non league club's chances of a payday which for them could mean survival as a club or not.

Another cup competition...

In my opinion, PL teams should be dropped from the League Cup, rename it "The Football League Cup" for Champs/L1/L2. Anything to take away the yearly "PL clubs field reserve teams for mickey mouse cup" headlines and let's face it, they don't need the TV revenue.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

I've said for a number of years if you want the competition to be taken seriously by the so called bigger clubs make it so the winner gets the champions league spot rather than 4th in the Prem.

It will help the cup move with the times, as that 4th spot is somewhat seen as a cup win now.

I can see the logic, but that could mean qualifying for the Champions League off the back of beating six teams who are not even in your own division. Hardly the stuff of champions...
    I also see your logic, but surely that's just the luck of the draw, which is all part of the magic of the cup.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
  • Options
    Scrap the League Cup this would free up midweek fixture slots earlier on in the season for league games, Spain, Germany & Italy don't have a second domestic cup competition. Keep The FA Cup as it is.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Hardly the stuff of champions...
    By definition, neither is qualifying for the Champions League as a result of finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th.
  • Options
    andyg90 said:

Would be awful for the lower league/non league teams to be denied a replay at one of the biggest arenas. If they've held one of the "elite" to a draw at home, they've earned the chance to take them on in a replay. Same goes in the opposite way, would again be shitting over lower league/non league club's chances of a payday which for them could mean survival as a club or not.

Another cup competition...

In my opinion, PL teams should be dropped from the League Cup, rename it "The Football League Cup" for Champs/L1/L2. Anything to take away the yearly "PL clubs field reserve teams for mickey mouse cup" headlines and let's face it, they don't need the TV revenue.

Or replace the Premier League side with the National League sides else you've just got the JPT with the Championship (Unless you scrap the JPT)